What do you guys think of this 185 to purchase?

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008- ... -101796032
I have a friend down in NC right now (from Canada) and would be using it on a small inland lake so the size is perfect. I am aware they don't make this model anymore as the 192 reappeared and replaced it. It is a 2008 with 16 hours use and has a dual axle trailer. They are asking for $33k but it has been for sale for a year which I assume is because the price maybe a bit steep and the boat too small for the area? She is looking at more like $29k. She is set on the 185 model fyi and I know there is more available on 192 models.
The reason I ask is boat prices vary between Canada and the USA. I know here in Canada that boat new cost around $45K.
What do you guys think? She is going to take it for a test drive tomorrow.
Help is appreciated. Thanks.
Jay

altouchet

Reaction score
I love the Tournament 185. This one seems nice. It has a lot of extras like the deluxe seats, shower, trim tabs, trailer, and GPS. With just 16 hours on the engine, Seems like a pretty good deal. Especially if they take a little less than the asking!

mboyatt

Reaction score
Looks like a great boat. The asking price seems in line with other 2008 185s on the market. If you drop back to a 2006 or 2005, those are going for about 24k. Why not save some money? I purchased a 1995 tournament 192 and got it for a great price. Dropped about 3k into her and some tlc, and the boat looks new. Great looking boat though at a price that similar are "listing" for. Good luck!

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the input. I think it really comes down to a timing thing as she is only in NC for 2 weeks and won't be back for another year. The used Grady's are so difficult to come by in Ontario, Canada. I think she is especially intrigued because it is newer and has few hours. She has a water access cottage and will be on her own so I think it will be nice for her to have something newer, very reliable and keep for many years.

mboyatt

Reaction score
That is funny you mention Canada. I bought my 192 in Wilmington, Nc. Got it home and began work on her. Researched the Evinrude model number, and it turns out the motor was sold in Canada. Cheched out the title history on the boat, and sure enough. She came from Canada and ended up in North Carolina. Wonder if mine would have been used in fresh water, as opposed to the ocean.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll assume the $29K is for the boat not taxes, transportation,.... It seems to be basically a new used boat. Assuming she liked the ride, I'd take $1k off the $29K budget and get a survey, then go cash in hand to the owner and say if it passes the survey here's my offer. It's costing the owner money to keep the boat there and the longer they wait the more money they loose.

downtown

Reaction score
I bought a 1984 tournament with a 1996 200 Yamaha seven years ago in Ct for 10G. It came with a trailer.

My girlfriend has an island on Kwagama Lake near Dorset, Ontario. I trailered the boat up there to use on the lake. The boat is still going strong and is perfect for that lake. I think the 200 is a little more than she needs, but the F150 is perfect.

The only Grady Dealer in Canada is in BC, I believe. You just don't see them up in cottage country (Ontario). They are tanks compared to the aluminum boats and others you see on the lakes up there.

As for the price, if your friend has the $$, I would go for it. Gradys pretty much retain their value and they are bullet-proof. Check the NADA guide and it will give you a ballpark of what it's worth wholesale and retail. Definitely get a survey. Check hull and through hulls, all mechanical and electrical and motor (even though only 18 hours).

Best of luck.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Downtown,
I agree with you 100 percent on these older Gradys. I got my 1994 tournament 192 for a few bucks shy of 9k. She sat for a few years not being used. Gave her elbow grease, new stainless steering wheel and stainless cup holders, restored the duratrim and redid electronics and cushions. Dropped about 3k into her - ok, maybe 4k - and the boat seriously looks like new. If the Poster's friend wants a newer "like new" Grady, you can't go wrong. One thing I will say, I would suggest offering a few thousand less than the asking price, without being too insulting. Things are tough out there these days. Maybe ask 6k below the asking price, with the hope that you will get her for 3,500 less than they are asking. Gradys are great, but even so, these folks could end up having to carry the boat several seasons before they get a buyer. I am excited for your friend!! Best of luck to her. :D

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
downtown said:
The only Grady Dealer in Canada is in BC, I believe. You just don't see them up in cottage country (Ontario). They are tanks compared to the aluminum boats and others you see on the lakes up there.

Well she ended up buying it, I haven't found out for the amount yet. She did have an independent survey done and a compression test done and everything checked out. She also took it for a test drive. There is two Grady Dealer's "downtown" in Ontario. Pointe Au Baril & actually Mountain House Trout Marina on Kawagama Lake is a subsidiary Grady dealer of Pointe Au Baril. (I am close to Kawagama Lake). I agree with others that restoring a older Grady makes a lot of sense (I did the same). She is a single lady and just needs something that need zero maint, turn key so it worked for her! Pic below.

mboyatt - Thanks. Yea interesting about you boat. There are many freshwater lakes in Ontario and many provinces, more so than saltwater. A lot of Grady's are used on some bigger lakes here like the Great Lakes or Georgian Bay.

Yes Grog, you are correct, before any of the costs.

Grady1_zpsbbf1a78b.jpg