What do you like and dislike about your Grady?

wlewis

Reaction score
Another 6" of beam in the Freedom 225 would be nice and a bit more floatation in the stern and/or redistribution of weight toward the bow would allow it plane easier.

bc282

Reaction score
2002 282 Sailfish with F225s that i'm the second owner having taken it over from a fellow in Galveston Tx in circa 2008 . . . wow, its been almost 6 years already! time flies! she has served me and family well and only wish i could have used the boat much more.

i like the ride (big positive upgrade from the 22' WA), much smoother, no porpoising, little to no trim required, very predictable ride in any water condition i've been in, even when ass heavy with fish laden coolers she runs well. Pretty good fuel economy and cruise speed.
I like the position of the helm and that i sit up on high and can look out and down to the water and see debris/logs easier and avoid them. A friend's boat has a very forward helm that is much lower to the water line and its a completely different helm experience--ok, but not for me. Boat pops on to plane easily with no trim work and can plane at relatively low speeds.
Very little flex in the hull and the lack of spider cracks and hairline cracks in the corners tells that story well (previous 22' WA had some large hairline spider cracks on both rear corners of hull and inside deck liner n more).

I like how the boat looks overall--nice lines and proportions. I like the traditional "cream" color. Classic and easy on the eyes in bright sun.

Fit and finish is good and i can't complain much. I like the layout as it makes good sense of the space and incorporates the needs well.

I like the cockpit bolster pads and they are the perfect height and size.

Not sure what they are really used for but the large round holes in the back of the side gunnel storage near the floor are perfect for storing my 15# cannonballs for the downriggers. I really like the size n location--Perfecto!

like the large overhead console. I have my 2 VHF radios and a 10" Furuno MFD mounted inside them and its perfect. the large overhead display usually is set in FF mode and is easily visible by all from the cockpit. Great for capt and crew when trolling as everyone can help watch to see where the bait or fish are marked and really great for bottom fishing as the crew can see the depths and hopefully lose fewer of my jigs to the bottom!

Things that i don't like are . . . the height/placement of the 5 rocket launcher rod holders on the hard top--you have to be a 7' NBA athlete to grab a rod or "climb" the pipework. Everyone likes tall ceiling especially in a home, but does the hard top really have to be that tall?! then to put rocket launchers on top of that?! I do use all 5 rocket launchers to help store the 12+ rods i bring but that middle one really is a stretch and challenge when seas are up. i've added a couple clamp on rod holders to the port and starboard side pipework to add easier and additional rod holding.

- length of the V berth and the mid berth. I'm only 5'8" but its really tight for 2 adults to sleep in the V berth, by myself is fine but not for 2 unless the second person is "small" and likes to cuddle. My mid berth has a vented starboard bulkhead which hides the AC compressor unit and eats up length for an adult. If you're 5'4" or shorter you may be OK. I don't and never have used the AC/reverse heat unit and may take it out, if i do, there is plenty of length that even a 6'er would be happy.

- leaky port side cuddy window. Poor job in cutting the hole left the it too wide in some areas that the window just could not seal well if you didn't fit the window just right. I re-seated window and chaulked to ensure no more leaks--should have been done correct at factory. Could have caused a boat fire or worse as water from leaky window ran down on to the microwave. I never used nuker and took it out to afford more tackle storage, but it was severely corroded/rusted from sea water from leaky window.

- submerged Macerator pump for the head makes for difficult/awkward and expensive maintenance and replacement. locating the pump out side the tank and more readily accessible would make the "shitty" job much more pleasant and less painless. I replaced with same model pump and hope she lasts "forever", others here have come up with some pretty good solutions which i found later.

- arm rests on the captain's chairs look terrible as they fade/wear prematurely (probably make some "covers" for these).
- the captain's chairs do not "lock" into position and can swivel unwantingly, also these chairs' back rests too easily slip backward in ruff seas (had to bungee rig them to keep the back rest from slipping from original position), chairs also require some continual maintenance/lube to keep them from squeeking.

- original black arcylic dual horizonal "blind" of the console when flipped up obstructed 1.5" of visibility over the console, not an issue now as i removed them and attached a piece of seafoam starboard and flush mounted electronics

- not really happy with rear cabin drop canvas. if locked down, it eliminates the use of the two rear facing seats, and a PITA to roll and put away. I always end up just unzipping halfway and tying the lower canvas into and knot to get them out of the way--but it looks silly.

- location of fuel filters (accessed under the rear bench seat after removing storage liner); especially after changing the head and filters to the clear bowl with drain Racor style units, they hang pretty low and you have to climb and hang to reach the drains and to inspect. I'm gonna think about a better place for these as its a PITA.

- access to fresh water tank and back of trim actuators is near impossible as they are located at the very back of the boat and would be very challenging even for "little people". Same goes for battery charger, hope i never have to service/replace that thing. Would love to add "trim tab indicators" but the sensors need to be added at the rear of the actuators and there just is zero access. ratz.

- wiring and labeling of wiring is decent at best and virtually non-existent for labels. There's some mfrs with exceptional wiring, unfortunately Grady at that time is not one of them. Don't know about current or late Grady's wiring.

- would have preferred solid SS hardware vs plated hardware (ex. kitchen faucet/hardware, head faucet/hardware, rear sink faucet).

- for whatever reason, i have a bitch of a time loading the boat on the trailer more times than not--she just doesn't like to sit centered on the bunks! (most likely a trailer issue and not so much Grady).

A few things that came to my head right away. I'm sure there's more likes and a few more dislike, but overall i really like the boat and have no regrets.

wlewis

Reaction score
"Not sure what they are really used for but the large round holes in the back of the side gunnel storage near the floor are..."

My Freedom 22 has the same round holes in the same position. I've always wondered what they are for. Cup holders?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes, cup holders. Large enough to hold a drink in a foam koozie.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are speaking of the holes cut into the starboard material, they hold downrigger balls. Very useful. I have separate cupholders at the front of the under gunnel area. There are plastic rings which are attached the the gunnels. I don't use them since there are two inset holders on either side of the fishbox (recently upgraded to SS).

HMBJack

Reaction score
Two dislikes: (1) No tinned wiring, and (2) Wood in the transoms.

Unlike other manufacturers (Parker to name one), Grady-White does not use tinned wire. Tinned wire greatly resists or delays the common conditon of "black wire" near leaky terminal ends. Try as you might - you're going to have water intrusion at some of your terminal ends. Tinned wire is a good answer to this.

While I have not experienced a wiring problem (yet) on any of the 3 Gradys I have owned (228, 265 and a 330), I would prefer tinned wire. The condition of black wire is not good and will ultimely lead to higher resistance which may lead to component failure (like a bilge pump for example).

Another thing I kind of wish is for no wood in the transom. I personally believe there is no transom that is completely without some degree of water intrusion after say 5 or 10 years of use. For peace of mind, it would be good to know my transom is still strong regardless of these water leaks.

Grady makes a heck of a boat. But the above two items are where they fall short in my opinion.

fish_hunter

Reaction score
love my 2001 265 express. handles big water great and with twin 250 optimax's it litterally flies.

what i wish i could change is the port and stbd seating. its great until you have heavy seas, then your passengers have a hard time keeping from sliding aft off the seat when your are climbing big swells.

Firenailer

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to this party but what I like about my 208 is it's seaworthiness for a relatively small boat here on the Long Island Sound. I like the Electronics Glovebox - I've got a garmin 7" 741XS in there with plenty of room left for my phone, portable radio, glasses, folded chart, and binoculars. I really like the fuel efficiency of the Yamaha 200 four stroke although I guess a bit more punch would be nice. The fish ability of the cockpit is great for 2 guys but any more than 3 starts getting crowded.

What I'm not crazy about is - the space between the seats at the helm is really too tight, I'm 5'7 160 lbs. I'm always squeezing my way through there. The Cabin is pretty tight but serviceable for storing rods, life preservers, etc. not really good for much more than that. ( Maybe a quick nap?) The locks and cheap feel of the plastic doors on the Cabin and Electronics Cab is really lacking. The plastic zippers on the Bimini for the Side and drop curtains seems pretty cheap, and one stop has already broken off. I'm going to have a new one sewn in at the end of the season.

The on/off supply valve for the aerated live well is next to impossible to reach, and requires an access cover to be popped off to get at. That's rediculous! The fish boxes have weather seal rubber on them but aren't water tight. That's a shame, the starboard fish box would be a good place to store life vests, cushions etc. on my 96 these boxes had stainless lockable hasps on them, now there is rubber flip catches.

Finally while these hulls are great at speed, at slow speeds the boat is all over the place, really tricky while docking or maneuvering in tight channels. I feel like I'm always correcting course.

However none of that stopped me from replacing my '96 208 with the 2015 model of the same boat so I guess I've all of the Grady "quirks" weren't enough to make me really consider anything else.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I've owned two Grady's in the last three years. First our 98 Sailfish 272 "Lu Sea" with twin OX66 225 motors. She was a great boat. I truly believe that the Grady 272 with the twin 225 combo was their best all round fishing platform for weight vs. power. We know own a 2000 Marlin 300 which is powered with OX66 250's. The Marlin, with its 10'-6" beam, 306 gal fuel capacity, additional weight and 3' of additional length has proven to be all that we need for the moment to overnight as well as reach the closer Northeast Canyons in good weather. The cockpit is massive and the helm area has amazing real estate. We will need to reposer in the near future as the 250's are thirsty :hmm

fischer

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin with F250s. We love everything about this boat - the looks, the handling, performance, comfort, space, genset, A/C, etc. When we overnight, it's just my wife and I and it's plenty of boat for that. My one and only complaint - for a fishing boat, the rod holders under the gunnels could be a lot more functional. No regrets - I'd buy it all over again.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with fischer. The Marlin is an outstanding boat with great ergonomics. Mine is going on 11 years which is twice as long as I kept my previous Gradys. The 300 is just THE perfect boat for me.

As for the gunnel racks, I don't use mine for rods. I keep gaffs on one side and a telescoping SS Shurhold handle/brush plus a boat hook on the other. With 6 launchers and 4 holders on the hardtop legs, I always have plenty of room for rods.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Freedom 225 and we really like the flexible deck plan, the comfortable permanent seats, overall appearance and the quality of workmanship. It handles the short steep Chesapeake Bay chop much better and is less twitchy in a following sea than my old Parker 21deep vee. And we just love doing things with the Chesapeake Bay GW Club and it's sponsor TriState Marine. About the only thing I gripe about is I don't think the trim tab planes are big enough. There are a lot of GW's in my area of the Chesapeake but enough GW haters to make things interesting at the boat ramp