What do you tow your boat with?

Pighunter

Reaction score
Yeah, it's awesome. Spending money like a crazy person has the upside everything just works (for a while). My trailer does not have bearing buddies, it's all sealed, they say get it inspected after 5 years. So no greasing them.

leeccoll, those high side rails/bunks you have on your trailer, mine doesn't have those, what are they for? I'm guessing to center the boat on the trailer?

I bought a set of those with a curb side ladder for my last boat/trailer they work great for loading the boat. I haven't needed them with my 228 yet.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Denali HD with the 6.6 Duramax hauling my 265 with disc brakes on all 3 axles driven by an integrated electric over hydraulic controller, starts and stops great. 505D258A-4EB9-4A7E-820E-60CA0176855F.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, it's awesome. Spending money like a crazy person has the upside everything just works (for a while). My trailer does not have bearing buddies, it's all sealed, they say get it inspected after 5 years. So no greasing them.

leeccoll, those high side rails/bunks you have on your trailer, mine doesn't have those, what are they for? I'm guessing to center the boat on the trailer?
Correct,

When I load at Pyramid Lake near Reno, it is not just weird winds to contend with. I used to toss heavy spoons off the shoreline bank before I had my 228. I would let the lure hit the bottom and then start my retrieve. Some days the current was so strong, the line would be 45 degrees to where it hit the water, so you can imagine having to fight that as well as strong sideways wind loading your boat.

As much as I have been less than ecstatic about a few things with the new trailer, it DOES load like a breeze, and the side bunks keep it from blowing off the trailer. Like Pighunter, I have steps on one side which come in handy getting on and off. I think the option was like $400 bucks from Pacific, so that was money well spent for me.

20200429_095511.jpg

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just spent $2200 having my 8 year old trailer brakes and bearings rebuilt including a new surge. Wow I didn't know a boat trailer could stop so nice.

Good trailer brakes really do make all the difference.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Correct,

When I load at Pyramid Lake near Reno, it is not just weird winds to contend with. I used to toss heavy spoons off the shoreline bank before I had my 228. I would let the lure hit the bottom and then start my retrieve. Some days the current was so strong, the line would be 45 degrees to where it hit the water, so you can imagine having to fight that as well as strong sideways wind loading your boat.

As much as I have been less than ecstatic about a few things with the new trailer, it DOES load like a breeze, and the side bunks keep it from blowing off the trailer. Like Pighunter, I have steps on one side which come in handy getting on and off. I think the option was like $400 bucks from Pacific, so that was money well spent for me.

View attachment 15758
I two tw2wi12 f350,previous boat owner removed surge and cut brake lines,I have drums on one axle,when I straighten this mess out should I do both axles and are drums ok,mostly freshwater but I plan on a few coastal runs,I'm
I just spent $2200 having my 8 year old trailer brakes and bearings rebuilt including a new surge. Wow I didn't know a boat trailer could stop so nice.
Previous owners removed my surge, I'm towing with 2012 f350, when straighten this mess out should I brake both axles, only single axle brake now and should I change to disc,mostly freshwater but I want to do a few
Here's my actual truck and boat. Slightly different angle but looking pretty similar. I guess my truck was destined to tow a Grady. LOL

View attachment 15733
2012 f350.....trailer has no brakes, gonna fix em this winter
Yep I’m like the Grinch

Pighunter

Reaction score
I two tw2wi12 f350,previous boat owner removed surge and cut brake lines,I have drums on one axle,when I straighten this mess out should I do both axles and are drums ok,mostly freshwater but I plan on a few coastal runs,I'm

Previous owners removed my surge, I'm towing with 2012 f350, when straighten this mess out should I brake both axles, only single axle brake now and should I change to disc,mostly freshwater but I want to do a few

2012 f350.....trailer has no brakes, gonna fix em this winter
I would replace the drums with disc brakes. I did it with my last pacific trailer, not a hard job. Easy to order all the parts and not a hard job. I think I just payed around $400 for a new surge but if you need it you need it.

Reactions: Captain TJ

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I tow my 257 Advance with a Sierra 1500 w/ the 6.2L.

Pighunter

Reaction score
I tow my 228 with a 2000 F350 7,3 powerstroke diesel with 220,000 miles (I keep saying I'll replace it when it dies but it won't). Picture to follow.

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would replace the drums with disc brakes. I did it with my last pacific trailer, not a hard job. Easy to order all the parts and not a hard job. I think I just payed around $400 for a new surge but if you need it you need it.

I agree with Pighunter, switch to disc brakes on as many axles as you can afford. Be sure to order a new master cylinder designed for the disc brakes you're installing. After 3 or 4 trips one axle of disc will stop better than 2 of drums because drums get out of adjustment easily and quickly. Inspections and maintenance are also easier on disc but be sure to add a reverse lockout. They are cheap and will keep the trailer brakes from locking every time you have to back up any incline. You won't regret this upgrade and if you're already having to replace much of the drum system it won't be much more money but a huge difference in how it tows. Good luck

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BTW, I'm loving all the pictures and seeing how different everyones set up is.

:cool:

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I am the real Odd Duck out I tow my 192 with a Lexus RX350.........I only tow it 1 mile twice a year back and forth to my house the rest of the summer it sits in front of my house at my dock never bothered taking a pic but I will this Fall

Reactions: Captain TJ

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Many people didn't believe me when I would tell them my truck only had a 2.7 and would haul a 248 easily including in the mountains, but it does.
The 3.5 accelerates better at highway speeds and gets great mpg if I run 91+ octane.
2016 2.7
20180805_202829_compress70.jpg
2018 3.5
20200502_135808_compress87.jpg

BTW, I trailer with my fender out so everyone will think I'm a newb and stay the hell out of my way! :)

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Now I'm jealous looking at these great setups, No trailer for me a fork truck launches and pulls mine in the spring and fall. It sure would be nice to have it at home to work on it during the off season.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
This worked for my old 21' Robalo but it won't work for the new 27' Grady, even though it doesn't look too disproportionate. I'm shopping for an upgrade - probably something like a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 8.1L or Duramax.

bsqrvsC.jpg