What does HPDI mean?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hteory was to highly atomize the fuel into smaller molecules, basically a fine mist to get it to burn more fully optimizing performance. Your injectors are working at a high presure. The 200 HPDI was an excellent engine and one of Yamaha's most reliable and popular engines for its time, they are very fuel efficient, as good if not better then a four stroke at speed, a little more thirsty on the troll. If you troll a lot some guys do experience issues with carbon build up but I never did with mine, possibly because the original release burned at a slightly higher temp. I know guys with over 2000 hrs on HPDI 200's and they are still running strong, mine had maybe 500 when we sold the boat, was the best repower we ever did, had 0 regrets about choosing that motor. As far as the other hp HPDI's, the 150 was good also, was off the same block, but the bigger engines 250 and 300 I'd stay away from if you can, they had more issues and were not long lived engines, Yamaha stopped selling them very quickly, partially because of the developement of 4 stroke engines and partially because many of the bigger HPDI's were headaches and just discontinuing them was in their best interest.