What Grady to get?

GW22

Reaction score
I want to get a Grady walk around for mostly lake fishing, been looking at used 22.8 and 208 I rarely fish more than 2 people 3 at the most and most of the time just me or a buddy or just me and my wife, on ocasion might just cruse with 5 people but rarely, honest opinions please Im looking for used not new, but I only want info on the 2 gradys I metoned. please no other boats I want a grady!! I can wait till I find one but it will be a grady or nothing,lol I just traded my lund 1660 classic sport for a yamaha wolverine r max, so I always wanted a grady just want opinions from current owners on what would be best, I want a boat to trailer under 8'6 wide I know the 208 and 228 have like 8 ft beam so perfict my tow vehicle is a ram 2500 6.4. thanks. just looked at boats on line so i have not been in one yet.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm shocked no one has chimed in yet... I personally don't have any experience with a 208 Adventure nor have I ever stepped foot on one before but I do currently have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer. My previous boat was called a 21' Arima Sea Ranger, which is a 21' walk around that also had an 8' beam but it was a lightweight boat, it had a modified vee, all of the weight was in the rear so it would pound like crazy in the 1'-2' chop and it had a motor well built into the stern for the outboard. I wanted something bigger, heavier, nicer and that didn't have a notched or open transom on the back like my Arima did. For me, the ticket was the 228 Seafarer and I actually spent just over a year trying to find one, which I finally did last October. The reasons for liking the 228 Seafarer and wanting to buy one is that it's a bigger, heavier boat, it's hands down a much nicer boat than my Arima, is way smoother in rougher seas, it has the fully enclosed transom on the back of it with the transom bracket, it can fish 4-5 people no problem, you can overnight in it if you wanted to, it's an extremely versatile boat and it's very trailerable by yourself as well as can be captained/launched/retrieved by yourself. It's pretty easy to tow, your pickup should have no issue with towing it and is even easier when you have a buddy to help out.

The boat has a good deal of room on it, although it is slightly narrow in the helm area if you have two larger guys sitting in the helm seats, and I like that it has an all level floor without any steps or stairs in it like the 232 Gulfstream and bigger. Mine also has the hardtop option on it which I really like because I have a fair complexion and it keeps me out of the sun and other elements all day. It seems like most of the older 208 Adventure's for sale don't have the hardtop option on them. The 208 Adventure comparatively has the open or notched transom, which I leave my boat on a mooring buoy in front of my beach cabin for weeks/months on end and like the idea of having the fully enclosed transom as opposed to the 208 Adventure. Lastly, the pricing on the two boats is oftentimes very similar in that you can typically get a 228 Seafarer for not much more money than the 208 Adventure. I bought my boat, motor and trailer combo for $26.5k last October and I can't say that I've seen either a 208 Adventure or a 228 Seafarer that's the same year or newer in as nice of condition as my boat for less. Not trying to bash the 208 Adventure, a lot of guys have them and seem to enjoy them but I'd try stepping foot on both boats and see which one you like more.

Reactions: GW22 and Pighunter

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seafarer was my first GW and I really like it for fishing, cruising. If you are an ocean boater, I would avoid and of the hulls that are pre SeaV2 hulls. The ride difference in choppy seas is very much improved with SeaV2 hull. Not sure the year they converted the Seafarers but GW could let you know. Good luck with your search.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
The 208 is a great 'compromise' solution for cruising and fishing. If you are not avid fisherpersons, it will be fine. If your wife needs a small cabin to change or use the porta potty, it will suit her needs. If she is tall or you are tall, the cabin headroom is not great. If your crew are larger sized, the helm may feel cramped.
I often fish 3 people and that works out fine. Four is difficult at best.
You will not be able to easily walk to the bow since the walkways are very narrow and there isn't a lot to hold onto if you don't have a hard top. Walking a fish on the hook forward is not easy to do nor recommended.
Cruising with 4 or 5 people can be done and you can actually seat 6, 2 at the helm, 2 at the rear facing behind the helm seat area and 2 aft on the lockers. Cushions for those lockers were an option, Passengers in the aft seats may get wet. Optional cushions also included a 3 piece set that snapped onto the forward bumpout of the cabin. I don't think I ever used them:)
The boat is pretty easy for one person to handle for those times you want to solo. For it's size, the storage isn't too bad. Raw water washdown and fresh water washdown were options. Both are handy for fishing or rinsing off after a dip.
208s are quite popular and are currently getting pretty high prices.
Things to note:
Later model years ( I think after 2004) had some ballast added up front to compensate for heavier 4 stroke motors. The earlier years if repowered can have scupper issues if repowered with 6 cyl 4 strokes.
200 hp is a better fit especially if the boat has a hardtop.
The hull can take a lot more abuse than you and your passengers probably can. It can tend to pound in rougher seas
Good luck with your journey.

Reactions: billyttpd

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My advice is to sea trial both boats. get on them and bring your wife if you can. I would suggest taking the sea trials on average days with some wind. You will then know which boat offers what you are seeking. I have a 228 and love it. Ain't gonna lie my heart years for a Sailfish or bigger. Gas prices could change that yearning though. . I had a 192 and the 228 is massive compared to that boat . See how that works ? I would get on them, look how each is laid out and then make your choice .

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just to complicate things further, I have to do my obligatory plug for the 226 (which is basically the 228 with the "208 style" transom instead of the bracket). In this case however I do think it could be a good solution, as you get the extra fishing deck space you might need, but hopefully you wouldn't miss the bracket (I assume that feature isn't necessary for your purposes if a 208 would potentially meet your needs).

Reactions: billyttpd

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One other thing that I forgot to mention is that the 208 Adventure as well as the 226 Seafarer will have the transom cap or bang plate installed on it and have the very likely possibility of having water intrusion issues as well as potentially rotting out parts of the transom, or needing to replace/re-seal the transom cap or bang plate. The 228 Seafarer with having a fully enclosed transom and a transom bracket won't have that issue, although there's still it seems like a pretty small chance of having water intrusion into your transom bracket. But it doesn't seem like that's anywhere near as common as the transom cap or bang plate issues on the other models. Good luck!

Pighunter

Reaction score
I'd go with the 228 but I might be prejudice. I've never been on a 208 but it sounds like between the two size matters. The 228 is a perfect trailer boat and it has ample room for what you want.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had a 1993 208 from 2001 to 2019. It was a great boat. I fished on the coast of Southern California most of the time, including the Catalina Island. It had a hardtop, which I added and made the boat even more usable (shade and storage). I had a Johnson 200 Ocean Runner and boat would top out at 42 mph. The only reason I replaced it, was foot-itis and wanted a bigger boat. I now have a GW Gulfstream 232. Depending on where you are, a GW center console might be a good option. Good luck shopping!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a 1993 208 from 2001 to 2019. It was a great boat. I fished on the coast of Southern California most of the time, including the Catalina Island. It had a hardtop, which I added and made the boat even more usable (shade and storage). I had a Johnson 200 Ocean Runner and boat would top out at 42 mph. The only reason I replaced it, was foot-itis and wanted a bigger boat. I now have a GW Gulfstream 232. Depending on where you are, a GW center console might be a good option. Good luck shopping!
The OP mentioned he'd be doing mostly lake fishing and the location on his signature says he's in "PA. U.S.A.", which I'm assuming means somewhere in Pennsylvania but am not really sure at this point? Never fished in that area before but I'm assuming if his location is correct that he might mean that he's fishing Lake Erie or some of the other Great Lakes? I again have no experience with fishing in that area but have seen a few videos of guys fishing there on YouTube and it seems like those lakes can get pretty rough. Not sure if a 232 Gulfstream for lake fishing would be overkill or not, I stepped foot on one before and it seemed like a tank compared to my 228 Seafarer.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have the same truck as you and it tows my Gulfstream just fine, I would opt for the Gulfstream. Then you can fish the Great Lakes or your large inland lakes and have a great vessel for fishing or family fun.

Reactions: GW22

seasick

Reaction score
The Gulfstream is in a league of its own with other 23 footers. There is really very little comparison to the 208. The 232 is much bigger, wider and heavier.
In many states, technically you need a permit to trailer due to its wide beam

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The Gulfstream is in a league of its own with other 23 footers. There is really very little comparison to the 208. The 232 is much bigger, wider and heavier.
In many states, technically you need a permit to trailer due to its wide beam
And the OP was straight forward and saying it's either the 208 or 228 and no other boats . ;-)

GW22

Reaction score
I'm shocked no one has chimed in yet... I personally don't have any experience with a 208 Adventure nor have I ever stepped foot on one before but I do currently have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer. My previous boat was called a 21' Arima Sea Ranger, which is a 21' walk around that also had an 8' beam but it was a lightweight boat, it had a modified vee, all of the weight was in the rear so it would pound like crazy in the 1'-2' chop and it had a motor well built into the stern for the outboard. I wanted something bigger, heavier, nicer and that didn't have a notched or open transom on the back like my Arima did. For me, the ticket was the 228 Seafarer and I actually spent just over a year trying to find one, which I finally did last October. The reasons for liking the 228 Seafarer and wanting to buy one is that it's a bigger, heavier boat, it's hands down a much nicer boat than my Arima, is way smoother in rougher seas, it has the fully enclosed transom on the back of it with the transom bracket, it can fish 4-5 people no problem, you can overnight in it if you wanted to, it's an extremely versatile boat and it's very trailerable by yourself as well as can be captained/launched/retrieved by yourself. It's pretty easy to tow, your pickup should have no issue with towing it and is even easier when you have a buddy to help out.

The boat has a good deal of room on it, although it is slightly narrow in the helm area if you have two larger guys sitting in the helm seats, and I like that it has an all level floor without any steps or stairs in it like the 232 Gulfstream and bigger. Mine also has the hardtop option on it which I really like because I have a fair complexion and it keeps me out of the sun and other elements all day. It seems like most of the older 208 Adventure's for sale don't have the hardtop option on them. The 208 Adventure comparatively has the open or notched transom, which I leave my boat on a mooring buoy in front of my beach cabin for weeks/months on end and like the idea of having the fully enclosed transom as opposed to the 208 Adventure. Lastly, the pricing on the two boats is oftentimes very similar in that you can typically get a 228 Seafarer for not much more money than the 208 Adventure. I bought my boat, motor and trailer combo for $26.5k last October and I can't say that I've seen either a 208 Adventure or a 228 Seafarer that's the same year or newer in as nice of condition as my boat for less. Not trying to bash the 208 Adventure, a lot of guys have them and seem to enjoy them but I'd try stepping foot on both boats and see which one you like more.
DID YOU HAVE TO REPOWER YOUR BOAT OR HAS IT SERVED YOU WELL ? I also like the 22.8 but would not minde a 208 just as long as the boat is ready to fish. thanks for the reply.

GW22

Reaction score
One other thing that I forgot to mention is that the 208 Adventure as well as the 226 Seafarer will have the transom cap or bang plate installed on it and have the very likely possibility of having water intrusion issues as well as potentially rotting out parts of the transom, or needing to replace/re-seal the transom cap or bang plate. The 228 Seafarer with having a fully enclosed transom and a transom bracket won't have that issue, although there's still it seems like a pretty small chance of having water intrusion into your transom bracket. But it doesn't seem like that's anywhere near as common as the transom cap or bang plate issues on the other models. Good luck!
Thanks to all who have chimed in alot of good info here.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

GW22

Reaction score
The OP mentioned he'd be doing mostly lake fishing and the location on his signature says he's in "PA. U.S.A.", which I'm assuming means somewhere in Pennsylvania but am not really sure at this point? Never fished in that area before but I'm assuming if his location is correct that he might mean that he's fishing Lake Erie or some of the other Great Lakes? I again have no experience with fishing in that area but have seen a few videos of guys fishing there on YouTube and it seems like those lakes can get pretty rough. Not sure if a 232 Gulfstream for lake fishing would be overkill or not, I

GW22

Reaction score
I fish Raystown lake and have fished lake Erie with freinds and it can whip up waves fast, I just want to mostly fish and trailer without a permit so the 208 and 22.8 will work no permit needed. Thanks.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I originally looked at a 208 as an upgrade to my Campion 542 that I had. My office was beside a large marina so I would walk the docks at lunch and drool at the various Grady White boats. I soon started looking for a 248 Voyaguer after fishing on one on the West Coast of the island, I was blown away by the smooth ride in a 2 ft chop. I eventually landed with a Seafarer, more room, enclosed transom and Grady bracket as compared to the 208, big dance floor. I’ve had at least 4 people that have a 208 say to me that they wish they had the Seafarer for the extra room when they saw my boat at the dock. There may be something in those comments.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DID YOU HAVE TO REPOWER YOUR BOAT OR HAS IT SERVED YOU WELL ? I also like the 22.8 but would not minde a 208 just as long as the boat is ready to fish. thanks for the reply.
I just bought my boat last October and have only used it a handful of times but it has served me quite well so far. The motor was inspected before purchase for the dry exhaust corrosion issue and I don't have any complaints at all about the purchase of the boat, motor and trailer. I trailered the entire thing via a U-Haul truck 3,009 miles from Deale, Maryland to just north of Seattle where I live. The boat trailers quite well and did the journey by myself, so it's quite doable with just one person. A 250 hp outboard wouldn't be terrible but the Yamaha F225 works just fine for me as it tops out at 45 mph and I don't need to go any faster than that. I love the layout of the boat, the amount of space for fishing and so on as you can fish 4-5 guys in the boat, or cruise with even more, without any issue at all. I stepped foot on a 232 Gulfstream and it has a 9'3" beam compared to the 228 Seafarer which is only an 8' beam, and it seemed like too big of a boat for my intended use. Plus, I'm not a fan of steps or stairs in the cockpit area of my boats and prefer my boats to have an all level floor so that people don't slip or trip on them. My parents are in their early 70's and my niece will turn 7 in the fall, I like the all level floor plan as well as the enclosed transom and transom bracket on the back for added safety as opposed to the notched or open transom.