What has a better rough ride?

Jakkle5

Reaction score
24' Offshore or a 25' Sailfish? Which hull handles the rough the best?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd say a 25 sailfish from what I've heard. The 25 sailfish has a wider beam and will be better for fishing, but might be a hair more tender on the drift. Chances are the sailfish will burn more fuel then a 24 offshore since the 24 is narrower and a little lighter. If the 25 is in your budget and the boat checks out, I'd go that route, you'd be getting much more boat for your money. The 25 sailfish will handle rougher weather better any day, the wider beam and heavier weight is a big factor in the ride, it really isn't a fair comparison, the rides will be fairly different. Before you purchase anything, sea trial it to make sure you like how it handles, but the sailfish should be the hands down winner when it comes to ride.

whitey

Reaction score
i had a 24 offshore,now i have a 25 trophy pro.the 25 handles much better.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Offshore 24 did not have a SeaV2 hull, and it pounded. I have fished many offshore trips on my friend's 24. At that time, I owned a 1993, 25 Sailfish, which has a SeaV2. Difference was night and day better on the Sailfish.

SlimJim

Reaction score
yep I had a 24 offshore 1990 with out the SV hull and she did pound. I would say the 25 sailfish would be a much better ride in any kind of weather. Bigger and wider and SV hull makes for a better ride. My 24 Offshore was nice and I did like it so if size matters its an easy boat to trailer and you get good cockpit room as well its a lot of boat for a 24ft.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'92 and newer Sailfish have the SV2 hull, either way it's probably over #1000 heavier which helps the ride.

Absolute

Reaction score
When did the SV2 hull come into play & was this across all models for instance I have just purchased the Islander 268 97 model?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Sailfish is substantially heavier, so it has the advantage.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Absolute said:
When did the SV2 hull come into play & was this across all models for instance I have just purchased the Islander 268 97 model?

You're definitely SV2, there used to be a FAQ but I can't find it but as far as I can recall:
28' (Marlin) 1988
26' (Atlantic) 1991
22' and larger 1992

bulldog2

Reaction score
As Stated above the Sailfish will handle much better all around big beam for drifting and weight for headsea ride.The Sailfish only has a foot or so loa on the offshore but it feels like its twice the size.I have sharked on both and bthe sailfish with the weight and beam feels nice and solid on the frift while the offshore kinda feels like a bobber snappin and poppin at each boat wake and wave.Both are great classic boats-Pat L