What I did on my Summer Vacation

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How are you using your boat this summer ?

This summer was the first time I have had to really run my Adventure 208 I purhased last summer. We spent 2 weeks at Atlantic Beach, NC and put about 60 hours on it while we were there (I had to work a little during our stay). We went trolling for Spanish, bottom fishing, joy cruising, played at Cape Lookout and came home in the worst seas I have ever been in. The little lady preformed flawlwssly. Even in the worst of seas, I never felt concerned about the sea worthiness of the boat. I can honestly say this is the finest boat I have ever owned. The Yamaha F200 is amazing. Smooth, Quiet, and Economical.

Cape Lookout
IMG_3826b.jpg

Ponies on Shackleford Banks
IMG_4323a.jpg

We used the raw water washdown after every fish and the fresh water shower was a blessing. I have never had these amenities on a boat before. The only thing I could critique was I could use a couple more feet or maybe 4 more :wink: I understand the Grady-White reputation.

Earlier this spring we took a trip from Moncks Corner to Charleston SC on the Cooper River, wonderful trip about 45 miles. We started below the dam at Lake Moultrie (Santee Cooper Lakes) because the Pinopolis lock was broken. This lock is the tallest single lift lock in North America. My original plan was to go through the lakes and then the lock. My Garmin 540s kept us in the river and out of the old rice fields. Mepkin Abbey http://www.mepkinabbey.org/ is a Roman Catholic Monastery on the Cooper River. While we were passing by we saw a young bride in her wedding dress having her wedding pictures made, Beautiful. There was also an elderly gentleman sitting on a bench looking out over the river, contemplating life. The monastery invites people to come and spend some time.

(Web site picture, not mine)
Who_visits_p1.jpg

Lock under repair:
zIMG_3092.jpg

Here's a slide show of the trip.
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/c ... 8c5f1d.pbw
Our next big adventure is Columbia to Lake Moultrie but I may have to take the skiff because of the shallow water in the river.

lakemap_chartocolachannel.jpg

We watched the eagle swoop down and catch a fish in the river and fly up in the pine tree to eat it. We saw ospreys, ducks but no alligators, a little early. We slowed down at the naval base to look at the nuclear subs and the navy patrol boat encouraged us to move along so I did. No pictures of the subs. I tip I learned after my trip, if you are going down the river and are not sure where the river channel is, watch the floating clumps of grass, they follow the channel.

If anyone is looking a boat, Grady is the only way to go!

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Great pics and it sounds like a great time.

Me and another vet use to provide services for the Shackleford ponies. The National Park service watches over them and a trust group provides funds to do certain things. We donated our time. It is really remarkable how those little guys survive on Marsh Grass. My understanding is that they are survivors of an 18th century shipwreck. During the winter the Park service does take hay over for them to eat and there are shelters for them to get out of the cold winter winds.

Yea…the guys at the sub bases tend to get a little excited when you slow down to look over the boats.

HD

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While there we did see a new foal that was all legs, I agree it is a tough life for them but beautiful to watch. I am always amazed at the color of the water at Cape Lookout. As one blow boater who was scraping his bottom said, it is as close to the Caribbean we can get here in North Carolina.