What is that drain plug for?

Alexa Ry

Reaction score
I have an '86 Offshore. Should I leave the drain plug in between the rear bilge and the fuel tank area. I just replace the tank and wonder if having that in had anything to due with the hole in the bottom of the tank.

seabob4

Reaction score
Alexa Ry said:
I have an '86 Offshore. Should I leave the drain plug in between the rear bilge and the fuel tank area. I just replace the tank and wonder if having that in had anything to due with the hole in the bottom of the tank.

Boy, that's a first! Why would any one want to plug off the fuel tank compartment from draining?
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Why would any one want to plug off the fuel tank compartment from draining?

It was a factory feature on Gradys, don't know if that changed with the Euro-crap, or not. Keeps raw fuel out of the bilge and isolated in the tank area ... :?

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
It was a factory feature Keeps raw fuel out of the bilge and isolated in the tank area ...

and keeps bilge water from entering the fuel compartment, which would be the more common problem if the plug were to be removed. The fuel compartment drain plug and the bilge drain plug should be removed at the same time as a matter of routine maintenance to drain the fuel compartment of any accumulated fluids.

no problem

Reaction score
As stated above, leave plug in when in water to keep bilge water from wetting the bottom of that new tank. when boat is high and dry remove plug to be sure compartment is dry then replace plug. In the event of a tank or hose failure it would stop gas from being pumped overboard by bilge pump, or worse.

ORCA

Reaction score
The drain plug located in the bilge end of the fuel compartment drain line, is intended to keep leaking or spilled fuel from draining into the bilge compartment while the electrical connections are HOT. (If in doubt of which drain line entering the bilge is from the fuel compartment, reference your GW owner's manual for the proper idenification of the fuel compartment drain line) This drain plug should not be removed from the drain line, until the bilge has been manually drained and the electrical connections for the bilge pump have been disconnected, ie, at dry dock.

With gasoline in the bilge, a spark from an energized electric bilge pump/switch/connections, could cause an explosion.

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA

uncljohn

Reaction score
That plug is there for the Grady I/O models that have an inboard engine block. If you have an OB model, you don't need to plug it. If you have an I/O, it should be plugged.

Either way, water will end up getting into your gas tank compartment evebtually. Might as well let it drain (if you have an OB)