What is the part called

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that connects the extension rods with a ball handle to the seacocks (washdown, air, livewell etc.)?

There was a thread on here some time ago, about how these were of inferior materials and would rust quickly. Several folks mentioned they had replaced theirs (Mega?) and there was a link to the replacement part. I'd like to find that link and thread and/or name.

Thanks

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishie,I would mention it to the dealer. They gave me new ones covered under warrantee.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ken, I agree with Gman. It is a known defect. The part was supposed to be SS and rust resistant. Not the case.

The new version GW uses has no ball joint but is rather akin to a Y clip which goes through the hole in the thru hull handle. They work very well and are SS.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Ball Joints & Knobs

OK...I ordered the new stainless ball joints from Midwest Controls. About $6 each plus $12 to ship. No problem and the parts look sweet. The problem came when I tried to get the rotten, rusted old POS off the rod. I needed a torch to do it and had to remove the rod from the boat for that. The rod wouldn't come out with the old ball joint (plus the handle from the ball valve still attached) so the knob had to go. That knob was ON there! It's pressed on and I got it to turn but it would NOT come off. I finally broke it in half, pulled the rod out torched the old ball joint off and now I need new knobs. Has anybody ever replaced these? I'm reluctant to call GW but I guess I'll try them. The rod is not threaded at the knob end (The bj end is 5/16-24).
Thanks,
Dan

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
called GW

I called Grady and they sent me to the local dealer who can sell me the rod & knob assembly (knob not sold separately)...no thanks. I found a knob at Davies Mouldings (They don't sell direct) but Fastenal carries their products. A 1" knob with a threaded 5/16 insert is about $2. Now I've got a choice of colors and sizes...whooee!! Customized!
Cheers,
Dan

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I replaced mine with the part listed from midwest control. The old connections were so rusted I soaked the ends in PB Blaster overnight and the next day put the rod in the vise and was able to get them off. I'm surprised I didn't snap them off.