What is this and how serious is it?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
That crack in the glass could also be from clunking a battery hard in there . That could be an impact kind of thing..They wrap the brace with glass and that stuff can flex and break . I am trying imagine how that could happen . I keep coming back to something hitting it and the logical thing would be a group 27 battery.

I am not telling you to buy it or not but it. if you are handy you can easily fix those items yourself. The soft spot on the bow is concerning. That too could be fixed . All these items add up to price reductions.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmiela

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My biggest concern is the crack in the rear brace, soft bow etc.. I wouldn't buy this boat unless I could inspect in person and then work out the cost to repair and replace stuff, deduct that from a market price then deduct some more because you find other stuff as you go along. The way this boat is maintained price in a new engine as well.
It safer to walk way, offer the seller to sell the survey report at a discounted price. You both win, he has a survey to show prospective buyers and you get some of your $$ back.

seasick

Reaction score
That boat is a money pit, and I think you will forever regret buying it. Survey money well spent; he saved you thou$$$$ands of dollars and a lot of grief.

Some years ago, I was on the hunt for a 29 Blackfin FB. I had one surveyed in Michigan (fresh-water boat... what could go wrong!). So many issues, I walked.
I had another one surveyed in S.C. I was there during the process, so he showed me what he found as he went along. Halfway through the survey, he turned to me and said how about let's call it half price, and we both go home.
Next one finally was a good one. Keep looking.
I had a similar experience years back. During a survey, the surveyor pointed out some of his concerns and said to me. Do you want me to continue the survey? I knew what he meant and said "No, let's leave" I was new to boats at the time and the money I spent for the survey was money well spent just for the education.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks to all of those for your replies. I called up and spoke with the seller yesterday afternoon. He said he was going to call me back but never did. I don’t think he’s being too realistic with the condition of the boat and keeps saying things work when the surveyor is telling me something else. I told him I wouldn’t be able to offer him the $32k that we agreed on contingent upon a favorable survey. He said he’d think about it and call me back yesterday but never did. I think it’s pretty indicative that he’s not being very forthright and honest, or maybe he is simply that inexperienced with boats where he doesn’t know how bad the boat really is? Either way, I’m going to pass on the boat for the time being, at least for the price we’d discussed earlier. It’s quite frustrating because I thought this boat was the one, as it checked off almost every box for what I wanted. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be anywhere near the condition advertised and needs quite a bit of work just to leave the east coast and come out west. Thanks again to everyone for their advice and words of wisdom. The search continues on…

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

pmgia

Reaction score
Model
Advance
RUN don’t walk away from this unless you cut the price in 1/2. I bought a boat that was “turn key” solid hull and decks and the guy either lied and screwed me or is completely oblivious, I’m spending $5k on glass work on new decking. Wait for the right boat or buy the wrong boat at the right price.

Reactions: Karim and luckydude

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
trailer dependent on a favorable survey. The boat is a 2003, motor is a 2004 Yamaha 225 4 stroke with 500 hours. Trailer is a dual axle 2005 galvanized trailer. That being said, the boat and trailer both need more work than previously thought. The boat has the issue pictured as well

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There’s other fish in the sea

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is WHY you smartly spent the $700. There will be more well cared for boats out there. Unless you're willing to take on a project boat - at a bargain price - go find that boat that leaves you with no reservations about buying it.

Rob