What is this worth? 2006 GW 225 Tournament

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
2006 Grady White 225 Tournament (excellent condition)

2006 Yamaha 225 hp w 250 hours

2022 Venture tandem axle aluminum bunk trailer

Full canvas enclosure

Bow tonneau

Garmin 10”

What do you think this is worth in todays market?

NADA says about $34,600

Thank you in advance

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You've got 6 different 225 Tournaments for sale on Boat Trader currently, all of which are 2005's or 2006's and all of them are on the east coast, one of which is pretty close to you in Connecticut. They range from the mid $30k's to the high $40k's, of which I'd compare your boat to those and see if those ones actually sell or if they just sit for awhile. If they sit for weeks or more, then you know that they're overpriced.

Reactions: fastexas and Koby

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The biggest question mark on that boat is going to be whether or not the engine has had the exhaust corrosion repair made. Dealers are complaining that it's getting extremely difficult to get the kits, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. My shop, who I trust implicitly and the service manager worked as a field rep for Yamaha for many years, has "encouraged" me to either look for motors that have had the fix already, or factor in the potential expense of a repower as he has no idea when he will see the parts.

Armed with that knowledge, you may have a better idea of whether you are priced appropriately.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The biggest question mark on that boat is going to be whether or not the engine has had the exhaust corrosion repair made. Dealers are complaining that it's getting extremely difficult to get the kits, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. My shop, who I trust implicitly and the service manager worked as a field rep for Yamaha for many years, has "encouraged" me to either look for motors that have had the fix already, or factor in the potential expense of a repower as he has no idea when he will see the parts.

Armed with that knowledge, you may have a better idea of whether you are priced appropriately.
I agree in part, though I think on the other hand that the other major factor would be the price. If the price is so good that you can factor a potential re-power or repairs into the equation and still be ahead of the game then it would worth rolling the dice imo. I am curious though about the service manager that you mentioned and his opinions on the dry exhaust corrosion issues. Specifically, are they as common as everyone makes them sound like and can you have an issue even after using the repair kits? Aka, can you repair the motors with the repair kits and then have those go bad and have to repair it a second time? Just out of curiosity is all.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree in part, though I think on the other hand that the other major factor would be the price. If the price is so good that you can factor a potential re-power or repairs into the equation and still be ahead of the game then it would worth rolling the dice imo. I am curious though about the service manager that you mentioned and his opinions on the dry exhaust corrosion issues. Specifically, are they as common as everyone makes them sound like and can you have an issue even after using the repair kits? Aka, can you repair the motors with the repair kits and then have those go bad and have to repair it a second time? Just out of curiosity is all.
Exhaust Corrosion is a massive issue on the East Coast. And not just on 225s but some F250s as well. The repair, when done early enough and done properly, typically doesn't have to be done again.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not to derail this thread but I believe the exhaust issue on those earlier Yamaha’s was from lack of corrosion resistance in the mid engine casing applied from the factory. I would hope that the replacement parts would have the anti corrosion issue solved.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fortunately everything that I've heard about the issues have been hearsay and I haven't experienced any of the issues personally, knock on wood. I again heard that Yamaha was trying to lighten up the weight on their 4 stroke motors so they made the mid sections out of lighter weight materials, and yes I did hear something about the corrosion resistance not being added originally. That is frustrating as hell that they could've likely avoided the whole issue if they'd done their due diligence and made the correct parts, regardless of the weight. My biggest question though was that I've heard of guys, and I think maybe even one or two on here, that have done the exhaust replacement kits and then 1k or so hours later had to do them again. Again, that's just hearsay and it could've been something where the original damage was worse than suspected and it came back. But I was just curious about what the service manager had to say on the matter as a lot of people online make it sound like every motor will have the issue at some point, though I have to imagine there are tens of thousands or more of owners out there that have never had the issue before. I've considered selling my Yamaha and putting the money towards a repower but then haven't pulled the trigger for multiple reasons. Mainly because the motor that I have is running well, the midsection was checked right after I bought it and all the dealers around here want top dollar and then some for just about everything.