What lenght outriggers

Papa J

Reaction score
1998 272 sailfish.

going with one of the precision marine fiberglass outriggers.
Is 18' too big for this boat should I look at the 15'?

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
If you're planning on running the original option equipped Lee Jr wishbones on the side of the cabin house, the length of the outriggers is either 18 or 19'. I'd recommend going with the heavy duty version of the 19' basic poles.

If you're planning on hardtop mounted alternatives, I've seen many mention of supplemental brackets secured to the aluminum hard top frame to support the additional stresses that those types of outriggers impart. But I can't comment on what the right length would be in that configuration.

4/0

Reaction score
I have 20' wishbones on my Gulfstream. 15' would make a good center rigger, pull 2 lines off of it, one for a way way back, one mid. I would go for 20'.

fellinger

Reaction score
4/0 said:
I have 20' wishbones on my Gulfstream. 15' would make a good center rigger, pull 2 lines off of it, one for a way way back, one mid. I would go for 20'.

Agreed. Get the biggest you can safely install. I have a 272 and I thought the wishbones were 20'. I wish I had a couple extra feet honestly. I am taking a collapsible 15' from my old boat and adding a center rigger at some point.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
My 272 sailfish had Lee Juniors with 18' outrigger poles. They worked just fine double rigged for pulling 2- 36" bars off each rigger. never bothered to install a center rigger on the Sailfish. We ran rods out of the upper rod holders and set the strike drag accordingly. when a tuna hit, the blistering run is long enough to grab the rod and hand it down.

My current boat Marlin 300, has Lee Juniors with HD 19' poles. We have them double rigged and pull the same Sterling bars as the Sailfish. I also run a Taco center rigger ( 10' ) which is double rigged as well. It's job is to pull a W/W back bird and skirted Ballyhoo as well as a short rigged chain or ballyhoo. I also run two flat line Roller Troller clips off the stern cleats.

The longer your hard top mounted riggers.......the more flex and the more critical it will be to get the release correct.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
If I did it over............I would use the Lee Pro's as a mount. The less flex the more options you have as to how you load the riggers. If you choose to pull a squid dredge from your riggers ..................less flex is best.