what model year Freedom 285 & other questions

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I've had boat fever down here in /sw FLA for 3 yrs. I'll likely buy in Oct (2023), & I found a rack slot (a minor miracle). I've never owned a boat, but have guidance of 2 friends who are highly experienced, & one currently has a GW. I've been researching & attending boat shows to educate myself. I'd buy used w/ a surveyor, & I've currently landed on the GW Freedom 285. The year range would be 2020-2022. Are there any significant differences in the boat or motors in this model year range?

I like White (creme), Mist, or Celestrial. Which 1 of these is most desirable, or is that just personal preference? I know not to buy dark colors in FL, & to buy Gel Coat not paint.

Also, I like the idea of the Joystick, but a bow thruster could save $. Joystick or thrusters for a newbie? My pals tell me I don't need either for this size, but they've been boating forever, so have long forgotten their docking anxiety.

I'm not a fisherman, but would like to try it because I'm a pescatarian. I'd likely use the boat mostly for cruising though because the idea of fish stuff all over my $300k boat is unappealing, & I'm told my favorite fish (grouper) requires me to go far out, and burn lots of gas, so I'd do that occasionally when an experienced fisherman is available to join me.

I like GW due to quality, ride, & resale ability..not for the looks...the creme deck & the hardtop supports are not pretty. The Pursuit 295 is the prettiest, but they're tough to find near new, & I'm told GW is a nicer, drier ride, so I'm going for functionality instead of the appearance. I also read the GW has much better airflow, which is key in this climate.

Anything else I should be thinking about? Which options are must have, or not having them would hurt resale? Both my pals love their auto pilot option. Is radar important? I have not researched all the electronics options yet.

Is buying from a boat owner riskier than buying from a dealer since I'm using a surveyor anyway? I'm thinking that buying from a boat owner could reduce the dealer mark-up.

Thx for any coaching you might be able to offer

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I believe the best motor option for that boat is the twin F300s. Twin F250s would be fine, though.

I don't think GW starts painting hulls until >=33'. Any of the lighter colors is fine. Personally, I like the standard off-white/cream color.

Either joystick or bow thruster is fine. Personally, I think the joystick is unnecessary on a 28'. Autopilot is a must, if you go long distances often. RADAR is a must (IMO).

Don't worry about getting fish stuff all over the boat. It washes off; especially if the boat is waxed and vinyl is protected with a spray protectant like 303.

Personally, I find the fuel usage to be "it is what it is". If you run WOT all of the time, it's much worse than running at cruise speed.

Dealer or private party doesn't matter. It's dependent on condition and maintenance (you want records). It's smart to get a survey. Grady's hull warranty is five years. You can likely extend the YAMAHA warranty on the motors, as long as they are still under factory warranty.

Don't be afraid to buy long distance. It's a one time deal. Also, keep in mind that Northern boats will likely have fewer hours and less UV exposure.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Reactions: Boatless in Florida

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Hi,

I believe the best motor option for that boat is the twin F300s. Twin F250s would be fine, though.

I don't think GW starts painting hulls until >=33'. Any of the lighter colors is fine. Personally, I like the standard off-white/cream color.

Either joystick or bow thruster is fine. Personally, I think the joystick is unnecessary on a 28'. Autopilot is a must, if you go long distances often. RADAR is a must (IMO).

Don't worry about getting fish stuff all over the boat. It washes off; especially if the boat is waxed and vinyl is protected with a spray protectant like 303.

Personally, I find the fuel usage to be "it is what it is". If you run WOT all of the time, it's much worse than running at cruise speed.

Dealer or private party doesn't matter. It's dependent on condition and maintenance (you want records). It's smart to get a survey. Grady's hull warranty is five years. You can likely extend the YAMAHA warranty on the motors, as long as they are still under factory warranty.

Don't be afraid to buy long distance. It's a one time deal. Also, keep in mind that Northern boats will likely have fewer hours and less UV exposure.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Thx for the tips. This is exactly why I posted here. I didn't know 250's were even an option, I thought 300's were standard equipment. I'm guessing the 250's get better fuel economy. Would they hurt resale-ability? I don't like going really fast anyways...just occasionally for short spurts for the adrenaline rush. The wind and noise is too much for my liking. Cruising speed would be fine.

Is the radar just for weather, or is it for navigation too? Can't my iPhone do the same thing? Do I lose cell phone signal out in the Gulf?

Nice tip on the 303 vinyl spray. I worry about discolouring of the seating. When I charter yachts, they ask us to always sit on towels, no dark coloured drinks, or foods, & no spray suntan lotion, so I thought I'd use the same rules. I like to keep my things nice, & this boat will be worth 8X the value of my SUV.

I hadn't thought of the records, but the surveyor would, & will review them. Nice tip on Northern boats and having them transported.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
250's won't necessarily get you better fuel economy, as it can take more throttle to get on plane or if you're weighted down.

Radar will be for navigation if you are running at night or in limited visibility.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I just checked GW website. The 205 is only available with F300s, so that's that. :)

You would want the RADAR for weather (fog, storm, etc.). NO, do not rely on your phone.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Were there any significant changes to the 285 or the Yamaha 300's from 2020 to 2022? Do boat models get tweaked like cars every 2-3 years? All the 285's from 2018 to now look the same to me, but I do not have a trained eye.

Was there anything added/changed for 2023 that is so great, I should consider moving up?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've always liked the Pursuit brand of boats and if I didn't have a Grady White, I'd probably own one of them. I can't give that many opinions on that size of a boat since I only have a 228 Seafarer. That being said, have you thought about a Pursuit DC 266? It's somewhat similar in size to the Grady White 285 Freedom but comes with twin F200's on it and is a little bit smaller and also less expensive of a boat. Good luck with your search and I think either boat you'll enjoy just fine.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Were there any significant changes to the 285 or the Yamaha 300's from 2020 to 2022? Do boat models get tweaked like cars every 2-3 years? All the 285's from 2018 to now look the same to me, but I do not have a trained eye.

Was there anything added/changed for 2023 that is so great, I should consider moving up?
When I sat in the 285, I did notice the top edge of the windshield and its metal edge was right in my line of sight. You have to stand to get a better view. Do the seats telescope up and down a lot to get that metal strip out of the way? The Pursuit's windshield doesn't have that issue because it's much taller, but that blocks airflow, & its hot here in FLA 6 months/yr, and I live here 11 months/yr..

A boat broker who lives in my neighborhood who used to sell Pursuits told me he'd suggest I buy the GW 285 instead of the Pursuit 295 due to air flow & rough sea handling. He said Grady's feel "heavier in the water", and that is a good thing.

The Pursuit 266 has a narrow beam (8' 9"'), & the boat's interior is smaller than I'd like. I love that price point and the looks of the P266 though. I wish GW would hire a designer to smooth out their lines and the appearance of the roll cage...its so cluttered looking.

When you drive a boat, can you leave the middle windshield open and latched over to the side to increase air flow, or will that wind up breaking the hinges or the latch, or bending the frame? Same with that plastic door below it...do most people open it while underway, or run with it closed? Of course if it's raining or real cold, you'd want both closed, but what about in decent weather? Seems like it would add a lot of wind drag having the door closed, not so much the windshield since its angled.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you planning on overnighting in the boat or what exactly is the concern with the size of the cabin? If you aren't and don't have a ton of gear, I'd consider it as a secondary option. I know that in my 228 Seafarer, it has a smaller sized cabin that I store my fishing gear in and thought that I might even overnight in it on occasion. In the almost 2 years since I've owned the boat, I've never overnighted in it and if I did sleep on the boat, I'd probably bring a small tent, air mattress and so forth and put it in the stern of the vessel as opposed to sleeping in the cabin. In regards to cruising with the center windshield open, no you won't have any issues doing that. My previous boat had three windshields to where the center one would open like that, and I would pretty much always have it open to be able to get more airflow through the boat. Dealers typically have financing and give you the "warm and cozy" feeling in regards to purchasing, or at least that's how I feel, because in the event of an issue, then you've got a store that you can approach as opposed to a private party. With Grady White boats, as well as in general, there are a ton of scams out there with them.

I remember when I was looking for my boat, it took me just over a year to find the right one and I'm very much glad that I waited. Along the way there were multiple scams from private parties on Craigslist, Boat Trader and just about any other site you can think of. Most of which were trying to get you to send money down for a deposit, like $500 or so. Others are trying to get personal information like emails so that they can hack them or spam out your email inbox. Because of this, knowing that the boat is located at a dealer makes it very easy to do a quick Google search to see what kind of reviews they have, and that the boat is likely a real boat. With private parties you don't know if you're talking to someone in the Middle East, or that doesn't even have a boat, but that is trying to scam you, until you actually meet up with them to see the boat in person. Fortunately my boat was located at a business, and it is actually a Grady White dealer as well, which made the process that much more smooth. I also financed my boat and know that at least for my credit union, they prefer dealing with a business as opposed to a private party because of the legal side of things, the possibility of a lawsuit, etc. Lastly, I do know that a reputable business/dealer is likely going to be much more open to the idea of having you bring a surveyor with you as opposed to a private party. On a brand new boat, it probably isn't going to be that big of a concern since the boat is literally brand new, but I don't suppose it would hurt either considering a surveyor costs less than $1k.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I've always liked the Pursuit brand of boats and if I didn't have a Grady White, I'd probably own one of them. I can't give that many opinions on that size of a boat since I only have a 228 Seafarer. That being said, have you thought about a Pursuit DC 266? It's somewhat similar in size to the Grady White 285 Freedom but comes with twin F200's on it and is a little bit smaller and also less expensive of a boat. Good luck with your search and I think either boat you'll enjoy just fine.

Yes, I looked at a brand new Pursuit 266 at my local dealer, & the beam is too narrow. Love the price, & the aesthetics though. If I went Pursuit, it would be the 295, but they are rare to come by used in the SE USA <200 hrs.

I've spent many hrs/wk for 3 yrs scouring the boat sales web sites looking for several boats that were in my original line-up, until I narrowed it down to GW285...

Pursuit DC's 26-32, Whaler DC's 27-32, largest Cobia DC, largest Robalo DC 31', & the smallest Tiara DC 34LS if I recall, but the Tiara's are pricey, so I'd have to go back more years to get to the price point of a 2020-2022 GW285, & 34' looks too big for my 1st boat.

3 yrs of boat shows (10+ shows on day #1) Hundreds of hrs on the web sites, listening to boat sales persons, boat brokers, my 2 boat owner pals, reading magazines, reading/watching walk-thru reviews on youtube...I've been a sponge.

I just stumbled onto this site a few days ago, & spent hrs reading every post going back weeks about cabin doors popping open while underway & deck drain plugs taking in water when they are supposed to let out water when the boat is loaded down with weight, ect..

It all keeps pointing me back to the GW285, even though its aesthetics are blah. Spending $300k, it would be nice if I liked its looks, but its like picking a wife...the very best looking women do not always make the best wives, once the honeymoon ends (I've been told).

Another thing I wanted was White engines, but White engines on a creme colored boat doesn't look as nice as White engines on a White boat. Why do Grady's have to be creme colored anyways? Is there a reason for it? I trying to learn to like it, & place function over aesthetics.

I hope I can get >1.5 mpg w/ a GW 285 at cruise speed of 29 mph...fuel prices are high right now. Anyone know real world fuel consumption on a GW285 2020-2022?

Thx for helping me out. Trying hard to buy the right boat the 1st time....if that's even possible.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Are you planning on overnighting in the boat or what exactly is the concern with the size of the cabin? If you aren't and don't have a ton of gear, I'd consider it as a secondary option. I know that in my 228 Seafarer, it has a smaller sized cabin that I store my fishing gear in and thought that I might even overnight in it on occasion. In the almost 2 years since I've owned the boat, I've never overnighted in it and if I did sleep on the boat, I'd probably bring a small tent, air mattress and so forth and put it in the stern of the vessel as opposed to sleeping in the cabin. In regards to cruising with the center windshield open, no you won't have any issues doing that. My previous boat had three windshields to where the center one would open like that, and I would pretty much always have it open to be able to get more airflow through the boat. Dealers typically have financing and give you the "warm and cozy" feeling in regards to purchasing, or at least that's how I feel, because in the event of an issue, then you've got a store that you can approach as opposed to a private party. With Grady White boats, as well as in general, there are a ton of scams out there with them.

I remember when I was looking for my boat, it took me just over a year to find the right one and I'm very much glad that I waited. Along the way there were multiple scams from private parties on Craigslist, Boat Trader and just about any other site you can think of. Most of which were trying to get you to send money down for a deposit, like $500 or so. Others are trying to get personal information like emails so that they can hack them or spam out your email inbox. Because of this, knowing that the boat is located at a dealer makes it very easy to do a quick Google search to see what kind of reviews they have, and that the boat is likely a real boat. With private parties you don't know if you're talking to someone in the Middle East, or that doesn't even have a boat, but that is trying to scam you, until you actually meet up with them to see the boat in person. Fortunately my boat was located at a business, and it is actually a Grady White dealer as well, which made the process that much more smooth. I also financed my boat and know that at least for my credit union, they prefer dealing with a business as opposed to a private party because of the legal side of things, the possibility of a lawsuit, etc. Lastly, I do know that a reputable business/dealer is likely going to be much more open to the idea of having you bring a surveyor with you as opposed to a private party. On a brand new boat, it probably isn't going to be that big of a concern since the boat is literally brand new, but I don't suppose it would hurt either considering a surveyor costs less than $1k.
My original plan was to cruise & overnight, but then I was looking at cruisers, & not day cruise/fish boats, like I am now. I read that 85%+ of boaters do NOT sleep on their boats, even though they own cabin cruisers! I heard when the Grady club goes from Sarasota to the Keys or Bahamas, the peeps w/ cabins don't sleep on their boats...they get hotel rooms. So, why get a cruiser then? Thus, I dropped my original notion of buying a cabin cruiser. I also learned that marina's here do not allow overnights, & you need a water slip which requires divers to scrape the hull monthly...no water slips anywhere near here, & if they have a waiting list, its 3+ yrs.. Also learned that transient slips are hard to come by during season down here, so I hit a brick wall on the overnighting idea.

I like the wider beam because it can comfortably hold more people. I'd like to take 2 other couples along for all day rides, w/o us tripping all over each other. I feel like the GW285 9.5' beam will hold 6 adults comfortably, & I could keep 6 out of the direct sunlight & rain if I wanted/needed to. I'm assuming I can extend the back canvas awning while underway. I also perceive that a wider boat will be better if I get caught in a pop up storm here in SW FLA. Anything <9.5' looks/feels too narrow to me. I wanted 10' beam, so at 9.5' I'm compromising, but I do need to keep it closer to $300k, and not $400+k that the 10' beam boats cost.

I'm trying to pay cash for a used GW285F 2020-2022, but I could come up a bit short if I buy a 2022 that is loaded in Sept/Oct this yr ('23), which is my target. I can easily lend $50k-$100k if I do. The longer I wait, the nicer the boat I can buy, & I can eliminate any need for a loan (I still have nice income stream), but I'm not getting any younger (60), & I finally found a rack slot in a decent location. After 3 yrs of saving & learning, I'm starting to get shoppers fatigue too, so its Sept/Oct, or give up the dream.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As far as the windshield goes, running with it open is not a problem, up to the point that you start taking spray over the bow.
It latches open with some force, due to the weight of the windshield, so teach everyone to pay attention to where their fingers are when opening, it’s a painful lesson.

Last edited:

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
As far as the windshield goes, running with it open is not a problem, up to the point that you start taking spray over the bow.
It latches open with some force, due to the weight of the windshield, so teach everyone to pay attention to where their fingers are when opening, it’s a painful lesson.
thx for the tip. That is why when I'm on my friends boats, I touch NOTHING unless I'm told to, or I ask.

What about the door below...do most run with it open or closed if good weather? In pictures I see, the window is open but the door is closed.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My original plan was to cruise & overnight, but then I was looking at cruisers, & not day cruise/fish boats, like I am now. I read that 85%+ of boaters do NOT sleep on their boats, even though they own cabin cruisers! I heard when the Grady club goes from Sarasota to the Keys or Bahamas, the peeps w/ cabins don't sleep on their boats...they get hotel rooms. So, why get a cruiser then? Thus, I dropped my original notion of buying a cabin cruiser. I also learned that marina's here do not allow overnights, & you need a water slip which requires divers to scrape the hull monthly...no water slips anywhere near here, & if they have a waiting list, its 3+ yrs.. Also learned that transient slips are hard to come by during season down here, so I hit a brick wall on the overnighting idea.

I like the wider beam because it can comfortably hold more people. I'd like to take 2 other couples along for all day rides, w/o us tripping all over each other. I feel like the GW285 9.5' beam will hold 6 adults comfortably, & I could keep 6 out of the direct sunlight & rain if I wanted/needed to. I'm assuming I can extend the back canvas awning while underway. I also perceive that a wider boat will be better if I get caught in a pop up storm here in SW FLA. Anything <9.5' looks/feels too narrow to me. I wanted 10' beam, so at 9.5' I'm compromising, but I do need to keep it closer to $300k, and not $400+k that the 10' beam boats cost.

I'm trying to pay cash for a used GW285F 2020-2022, but I could come up a bit short if I buy a 2022 that is loaded in Sept/Oct this yr ('23), which is my target. I can easily lend $50k-$100k if I do. The longer I wait, the nicer the boat I can buy, & I can eliminate any need for a loan (I still have nice income stream), but I'm not getting any younger (60), & I finally found a rack slot in a decent location. After 3 yrs of saving & learning, I'm starting to get shoppers fatigue too, so its Sept/Oct, or give up the dream.
I've had 5-6 people on my boat for fishing, it "seats" 6 people, or at least it has 6 actual seats on board. The only time that I ever really felt "close" to one another was when we would have a fish on, but I think if you've got 6 people in the back even on a 30' boat with a 10' beam, it's still going to seem a little bit "cramped". At one point last summer I had some family up and we piled 11 people on my boat and went for a short cruise around the bay, which I wouldn't advocate doing on a regular basis, but it worked out just fine. Had a couple people sit up on the bow cushions and the rest were either sitting or standing in the cockpit area. Never at any time did I ever feel uncomfortable or that it was really unsafe to do. Which I guess would make my point of, if you're going out with 2 other couples strictly just for day rides, I can't imagine that the Pursuit DC 266 wouldn't be up to the challenge at hand or that anyone would be "tripping" over one another. Though it's obviously your boat and what you'll imagine will work best for you. Most seem to buy smaller boats, then get "2 foot-itis" and upgrade to a larger boat, though I've definitely seen quite a few boaters do the opposite as well. Especially when getting up there in age and to where a bigger boat just isn't as manageable anymore, or their fishing/boating needs change considerably. I remember before buying my Grady White when my uncle was looking at purchasing a bigger boat than the one that he already had. He wanted to be able to invite everyone along and take them fishing, but as I explained to him, depending on the type of fishing you do, most of the time you can't fish more than 5-6 poles without the lines getting all tangled up. Just my two cents on the matter, again it's your boat you're potentially going to be looking at buying as well as your money spent. Do what you think is best.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I've had 5-6 people on my boat for fishing, it "seats" 6 people, or at least it has 6 actual seats on board. The only time that I ever really felt "close" to one another was when we would have a fish on, but I think if you've got 6 people in the back even on a 30' boat with a 10' beam, it's still going to seem a little bit "cramped". At one point last summer I had some family up and we piled 11 people on my boat and went for a short cruise around the bay, which I wouldn't advocate doing on a regular basis, but it worked out just fine. Had a couple people sit up on the bow cushions and the rest were either sitting or standing in the cockpit area. Never at any time did I ever feel uncomfortable or that it was really unsafe to do. Which I guess would make my point of, if you're going out with 2 other couples strictly just for day rides, I can't imagine that the Pursuit DC 266 wouldn't be up to the challenge at hand or that anyone would be "tripping" over one another. Though it's obviously your boat and what you'll imagine will work best for you. Most seem to buy smaller boats, then get "2 foot-itis" and upgrade to a larger boat, though I've definitely seen quite a few boaters do the opposite as well. Especially when getting up there in age and to where a bigger boat just isn't as manageable anymore, or their fishing/boating needs change considerably. I remember before buying my Grady White when my uncle was looking at purchasing a bigger boat than the one that he already had. He wanted to be able to invite everyone along and take them fishing, but as I explained to him, depending on the type of fishing you do, most of the time you can't fish more than 5-6 poles without the lines getting all tangled up. Just my two cents on the matter, again it's your boat you're potentially going to be looking at buying as well as your money spent. Do what you think is best.
Thx for the suggestion. I think more boat owners upsize than downsize, so I'll likely err on the side of going a bit larger than I think I'll need. Both my boat pals upsized recently...by 2 feet as you stated. That 26' Pursuit's price point is very attractive, as is the boat itself. If I did go smaller, I'd likely do the GW275F...that costs quite a bit less than the GW285F.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
OP...

As Prince said on Purple Rain: "Go CRAZY"

See below: low hours, white motors with covers, canvas, etc.

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I've had boat fever down here in /sw FLA for 3 yrs. I'll likely buy in Oct (2023), & I found a rack slot (a minor miracle). I've never owned a boat, but have guidance of 2 friends who are highly experienced, & one currently has a GW. I've been researching & attending boat shows to educate myself. I'd buy used w/ a surveyor, & I've currently landed on the GW Freedom 285. The year range would be 2020-2022. Are there any significant differences in the boat or motors in this model year range?

I like White (creme), Mist, or Celestrial. Which 1 of these is most desirable, or is that just personal preference? I know not to buy dark colors in FL, & to buy Gel Coat not paint.

Also, I like the idea of the Joystick, but a bow thruster could save $. Joystick or thrusters for a newbie? My pals tell me I don't need either for this size, but they've been boating forever, so have long forgotten their docking anxiety.

I'm not a fisherman, but would like to try it because I'm a pescatarian. I'd likely use the boat mostly for cruising though because the idea of fish stuff all over my $300k boat is unappealing, & I'm told my favorite fish (grouper) requires me to go far out, and burn lots of gas, so I'd do that occasionally when an experienced fisherman is available to join me.

I like GW due to quality, ride, & resale ability..not for the looks...the creme deck & the hardtop supports are not pretty. The Pursuit 295 is the prettiest, but they're tough to find near new, & I'm told GW is a nicer, drier ride, so I'm going for functionality instead of the appearance. I also read the GW has much better airflow, which is key in this climate.

Anything else I should be thinking about? Which options are must have, or not having them would hurt resale? Both my pals love their auto pilot option. Is radar important? I have not researched all the electronics options yet.

Is buying from a boat owner riskier than buying from a dealer since I'm using a surveyor anyway? I'm thinking that buying from a boat owner could reduce the dealer mark-up.

Thx for any coaching you might be able to offer
Wow, a $300k Grady White 285 for your first boat? Not to rain on your parade but I’d really suggest starting smaller and working your way up. That’s a lot of boat for your first one. Try a 225, awesome boats and same layout. Handles very easy, less systems to maintain, etc.

But whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
OP...

As Prince said on Purple Rain: "Go CRAZY"

See below: low hours, white motors with covers, canvas, etc.

I saw that boat, nice looking but too many hours (450), I won't do >200 hrs. There's a GW285F in Clearwater in Ocean Mist I like, but I'm still building my boat saving account to be able to cover $300k.

I see every boat that hits the top 3 boat sale web sites, and I look at the SW Florida dealers web sites too since not all get advertising online. Lots of the best used boats are sold here before they hit any web site. You have to tell the dealers exactly what you are looking for, then they call you when the boat hits their property, & you must move fast to buy it. I'm waiting until I have $300k saved, & accessible before I contact the Grady-White dealer to do that.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Wow, a $300k Grady White 285 for your first boat? Not to rain on your parade but I’d really suggest starting smaller and working your way up. That’s a lot of boat for your first one. Try a 225, awesome boats and same layout. Handles very easy, less systems to maintain, etc.

But whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.
I started with a canoe, then worked my up to pontoon boats on a lake. I'm driving my friends 27' Sea Hunt a bit, & will likely get to drive his more before I buy in Sept/Oct. I'll likely take a class in Palmetto FL where they train you on their boat to dock...6 week class 1x/wk. Neighbor of mine did that, & he said he was comfortable docking after the class concluded. I'll have thrusters or joystick on my boat, & experienced operators w/ me at least my first 3 times out. Thx for your concern though. I started out looking at Regal 36XO cabin cruisers, then ditched cabin cruisers for reasons previously posted, then downsized to 28' from 36' due to it being my 1st boat. I was a valet parker during college, and have excellent spacial abilities...I'm not too worried...I know docking is the biggest challenge due to currents and wind. I'm also learning how to avoid shallow water, & how to yield to boats coming from every direction. I'll take the Coast Guard class here in Venice Florida as well. I read that 80% of boaters have had no formal training, but I will not be one of them.

Reactions: Koby