what model year Freedom 285 & other questions

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I started with a canoe, then worked my up to pontoon boats on a lake. I'm driving my friends 27' Sea Hunt a bit, & will likely get to drive his more before I buy in Sept/Oct. I'll likely take a class in Palmetto FL where they train you on their boat to dock...6 week class 1x/wk. Neighbor of mine did that, & he said he was comfortable docking after the class concluded. I'll have thrusters or joystick on my boat, & experienced operators w/ me at least my first 3 times out. Thx for your concern though. I started out looking at Regal 36XO cabin cruisers, then ditched cabin cruisers for reasons previously posted, then downsized to 28' from 36' due to it being my 1st boat. I was a valet parker during college, and have excellent spacial abilities...I'm not too worried...I know docking is the biggest challenge due to currents and wind. I'm also learning how to avoid shallow water, & how to yield to boats coming from every direction. I'll take the Coast Guard class here in Venice Florida as well. I read that 80% of boaters have had no formal training, but I will not be one of them.
Sounds like a good plan, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Make sure you post up some photos when you find that boat you’re looking for!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I might’ve missed it, but to the OP, have you actually been on any of these boats when underway or just in the showroom at the dealership? I think actually going out in the boats and seeing how they handle the elements, how well you handle the boat and so forth is going to be the better indicator for which boat you should go with. Otherwise, you’re kind of just making an educated guess at this point.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I might’ve missed it, but to the OP, have you actually been on any of these boats when underway or just in the showroom at the dealership? I think actually going out in the boats and seeing how they handle the elements, how well you handle the boat and so forth is going to be the better indicator for which boat you should go with. Otherwise, you’re kind of just making an educated guess at this point.
I've been on an Axopar 34', Sea Hunt 25' & 27', Prestige 52', & Azimut 54'. I will not jerk around sales people until I'm ready to buy...they need to make a living. I also trust the highly experienced people I'm consulting with...3 lifelong boaters, and 1 that does it for a living.

If you know of a better riding seaworthy 28' day boat than Grady-White, I'm all ears. The fishing guide my friends recently hired recently said GW is #1.

I have not had anyone tell me otherwise, when looking at ride and seaworthiness only. The GW hulls are 2nd to none, I've been told by many experts. I'm open to suggestions though.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been on an Axopar 34', Sea Hunt 25' & 27', Prestige 52', & Azimut 54'. I will not jerk around sales people until I'm ready to buy...they need to make a living. I also trust the highly experienced people I'm consulting with...3 lifelong boaters, and 1 that does it for a living.

If you know of a better riding seaworthy 28' day boat than Grady-White, I'm all ears. The fishing guide my friends recently hired recently said GW is #1.

I have not had anyone tell me otherwise, when looking at ride and seaworthiness only. The GW hulls are 2nd to none, I've been told by many experts. I'm open to suggestions though.
I couldn't tell you about a new/newer boat in that size range because as I've mentioned before, I've only got a 228 Seafarer. That being said, being somewhat familiar with boating over the years... the top boats that I keep hearing about are Pursuit, Boston Whaler, Cobia, Edgewater and yes Grady White. For the Pursuit, you've got the two models already mentioned. The Boston Whaler you've got a 280 Vantage, the EdgeWater boats you've got a 280CX, Cobra has their 280DC and so on. But again, it's hard to make a decision based off of how the boat looks or feels on land, and I think the best way you'll find out how much you like any particular boat is to take it for a sea trial run. I get it, you don't want to waste anyone's time. Perhaps there is a nearby member to you on here that you could reach out to with a 285 Freedom that will take you out for a ride on their boat? Or make a friend down at the docks with one? If it was me? I'd look pretty hard at both the Cobia and the Boston Whaler as well...

Last edited:

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I couldn't tell you about a new/newer boat in that size range because as I've mentioned before, I've only got a 228 Seafarer. That being said, being somewhat familiar with boating over the years... the top boats that I keep hearing about are Pursuit, Boston Whaler, Cobia, Edgewater and yes Grady White. For the Pursuit, you've got the two models already mentioned. The Boston Whaler you've got a 280 Vantage, the EdgeWater boats you've got a 280CX, Cobra has their 280DC and so on. But again, it's hard to make a decision based off of how the boat looks or feels on land, and I think the best way you'll find out how much you like any particular boat is to take it for a sea trial run. I get it, you don't want to waste anyone's time. Perhaps there is a nearby member to you on here that you could reach out to with a 285 Freedom that will take you out for a ride on their boat? Or make a friend down at the docks with one? If it was me? I'd look pretty hard at both the Cobia and the Boston Whaler as well...

thx! These 3 boats are very nice, and near new like I'm looking for. The BW would be a stretch for me right now, but the other 2 are doable. I didn't see these on my searches of the same web sites...I must be doing something wrong in setting my parameters.

The Edgewater has the anchor hanging off the nose rather than coming through the front of the hull...is that bad? Also, I want after sure shade, & I don't think this boat will take that due to rocket launchers. Not crazy about th brown seat trim w/ the White/Aqua color of the boat...I wish it were grey instead of brown. I've heard this brand is okay...I'm guessing 316 stainless, dry ride, proper connectors and clamps. I'm going to research this one further.

I think cobia will be slightly underpowered w/ 200's. I'll bet that is why its being sold. The other 2 boats of same size have 300's.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Is there a downside of buying a 1 year old boat that has bottom paint on it? Does it impact mpg? Of course, that means its been kept in the water for 1 year, but I doubt that could cause damage...just more wear than if were kept out of water. Can bottom paint be removed? If so, does it damage the surface below? I guess it could reduce resale value too, even though I'd kepp it on a dry rack.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Edgewater has the anchor hanging off the nose rather than coming through the front of the hull...is that bad? Also, I want after sure shade, & I don't think this boat will take that due to rocket launchers. Not crazy about th brown seat trim w/ the White/Aqua color of the boat...I wish it were grey instead of brown. I've heard this brand is okay...I'm guessing 316 stainless, dry ride, proper connectors and clamps. I'm going to research this one further.

I think cobia will be slightly underpowered w/ 200's. I'll bet that is why its being sold. The other 2 boats of same size have 300's.
Nah... just a different design and if you look through the last 10 or so pictures, you'll see how the anchor is rigged up underneath the front hatch there with an anchor windlass system

Also, not at all based off the Cobia website. They're claiming the top speed of the boat will be almost 48 mph with twin F200's on it.

Last edited:

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
OP...

As Prince said on Purple Rain: "Go CRAZY"

See below: low hours, white motors with covers, canvas, etc.

There's a 2020 307 in coastal NC I'm dreaming about that has 30 hrs on it, but I'm not ready to buy yet...waiting for a large payment from a client to get my boat fund boosted up, I'm out of state the month of August, & September is peak Hurricane month here in SW FLA, so early October is my target.

If I was ready, I'd already have my surveyor on this boat:

But thx for posting the link. Aside from size, any other big differences between 285 & 307? Same engines right?

Anotehr ?...can a surveyor see the warrenty history, or other repair history, or insurance claims like you can see w/ newer cars? Is there a Boatfax report like Carfax?

Last edited:

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
There's a 2020 307 in coastal NC I'm dreaming about that has 30 hrs on it, but I'm not ready to buy yet...waiting for a large payment from a client to get my boat fund boosted up, I'm out of state the month of August, & September is peak Hurricane month here in SW FLA, so early October is my target.

If I was ready, I'd already have my surveyor on this boat:

But thx for posting the link. Aside from size, any other big differences between 285 & 307? Same engines right?

Anotehr ?...can a surveyor see the warrenty history, or other repair history, or insurance claims like you can see w/ newer cars? Is there a Boatfax report like Carfax?

Regarding the engines, the F300s can be manual (cables) or electronic (fly by wire), I believe. That would be the only difference I can think of.

I am 99% sure that a surveyor can't see warranty history, but any GW dealer can see it (I believe). I don't know of a CARFAX like service for boats. For insurance claims, repairs, etc., I would request the info directly from the owner/seller. I doubt anyone selling a $300k boat would outright lie. I know that sounds very trusting, but I don't think someone would want to set themselves up for a lawsuit. Keep in mind that even new/slightly used boats will likely have had small items that needed to be addressed.

You could put together a list of specific questions:
1) has the boat ever been sunk, submerged, swamped?
2) has there been any damage that required fiberglass/gel coat work (if so, provide details)?
3) have there been any warranty claims?
4) has any repair work been done to the engines?

Reactions: Boatless in Florida

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why not finance the boat for the 4 months until October when you get the large payment you're referring to, and then pay off after you receive the remaining funds? Sure, you might spend oh idk a couple grand in interest during those couple months, but if you're spending $300k on the boat then I doubt a few grand in interest is much to lose sleep over at night. Especially if the boat that you're currently looking at is "the one", then you definitely don't want to see it go to someone else.

Reactions: JJF

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Regarding the engines, the F300s can be manual (cables) or electronic (fly by wire), I believe. That would be the only difference I can think of.

I am 99% sure that a surveyor can't see warranty history, but any GW dealer can see it (I believe). I don't know of a CARFAX like service for boats. For insurance claims, repairs, etc., I would request the info directly from the owner/seller. I doubt anyone selling a $300k boat would outright lie. I know that sounds very trusting, but I don't think someone would want to set themselves up for a lawsuit. Keep in mind that even new/slightly used boats will likely have had small items that needed to be addressed.

You could put together a list of specific questions:
1) has the boat ever been sunk, submerged, swamped?
2) has there been any damage that required fiberglass/gel coat work (if so, provide details)?
3) have there been any warranty claims?
4) has any repair work been done to the engines?
Thx for your post...most helpful. I'll ask these questions before I get the surveyor involved.

Is the manual cable F300's more dependable, or the electronic? I guess boaters bring a bevy of extra fuses w/ them since so much electronics involved. Batteries, connections, & fuses must be key to keep boats running.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Why not finance the boat for the 4 months until October when you get the large payment you're referring to, and then pay off after you receive the remaining funds? Sure, you might spend oh idk a couple grand in interest during those couple months, but if you're spending $300k on the boat then I doubt a few grand in interest is much to lose sleep over at night. Especially if the boat that you're currently looking at is "the one", then you definitely don't want to see it go to someone else.
Because I'm away 1/2 of June, the entire month of August, & September is the #1 Hurricane month in FLA. I've been watching the web sites for 3 years, there's always boats popping up that suit my needs. I'd also prefer a local boat that I don't have to pay to move.

If I had to buy today, I'd buy 1 of the 2 GW 285' at Quality Boats in Clearwater, if I could get the right price. If not, the NC boat would be plan "B" due to distance away. All 3 would be fine, & in early October, there will be others. Prices seem to be going down slowly too.

I'm debt free, and prefer to keep it that way...I hate unfreezing our credit, & filling out loan app docs, & providing them all kinds of docs about my wealth & income...I hate that stuff worse than you can imagine.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Cables eventually need replacement (figure 10 - 15 years). Electronics can last forever or go right away.... It's a craps shoot.

Regarding fuses: generally fuses don't blow unless something else is wrong. Ex.: last season, the fuse for my head kept blowing (when the dealer was getting the boat ready for the summer). It ended up being a bad macerator pump. Many of the systems are on breakers that can be reset in the event of a nuisance trip.

The key to keeping a boat running is constant vigilance, proper & scheduled maintenance, fixing things as the break, etc.

Reactions: Boatless in Florida

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Cables eventually need replacement (figure 10 - 15 years). Electronics can last forever or go right away.... It's a craps shoot.

Regarding fuses: generally fuses don't blow unless something else is wrong. Ex.: last season, the fuse for my head kept blowing (when the dealer was getting the boat ready for the summer). It ended up being a bad macerator pump. Many of the systems are on breakers that can be reset in the event of a nuisance trip.

The key to keeping a boat running is constant vigilance, proper & scheduled maintenance, fixing things as the break, etc.
So long as the boat keeps running and gets me back to the marina, I can deal w/ the rest. I think the insurance I'm buying includes the sea tow service, & many times, I'll be boating w/ my 2 pals that also have boats, a 33' GW & a 27' Sea Hunt, so we can help each out of a jam if one arises. My Marina has a mechanic, so I'd likely pay to get most stuff done...I'm not the handiest person around, but not afraid to spend to have pro's fix stuff.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Because I'm away 1/2 of June, the entire month of August, & September is the #1 Hurricane month in FLA. I've been watching the web sites for 3 years, there's always boats popping up that suit my needs. I'd also prefer a local boat that I don't have to pay to move.

If I had to buy today, I'd buy 1 of the 2 GW 285' at Quality Boats in Clearwater, if I could get the right price. If not, the NC boat would be plan "B" due to distance away. All 3 would be fine, & in early October, there will be others. Prices seem to be going down slowly too.

I'm debt free, and prefer to keep it that way...I hate unfreezing our credit, & filling out loan app docs, & providing them all kinds of docs about my wealth & income...I hate that stuff worse than you can imagine.
I guess it just depends on what you want to do and if there's going to be another one to come along in the near future. When I bought my boat, I hadn't seen as nice of a 228 Seafarer as it and in the price range it was in, for just over a year. I jumped at the offer because I knew I probably wouldn't find as great of a boat in as great of shape and for as great of a price anytime in the near future. If you're ok with waiting and you think that there will be plenty of boats to pick from in October then by all means wait.

Boatless in Florida

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
All the Boat dealers I've spoken to said August or September are the slowest 2 months here for boat sales, so that is when you'll get the best price. I'll likely buy in late Sept or early Oct..

I've been waiting/saving for 3 years, so 4 more months won't kill me. Hopefully, my pals will get me out on the water a few times to hold me over.

Is there any difference between 2020, 2021, & 2022 F285s or F306's? Or, are they identical?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Funny how different parts of the country vary like that, as in Seattle as well as the rest of the PNW August and September are some of the busiest months of the year for boat sales, service, repairs and so forth.

Last edited: