What pitch prop

roughrider123

Reaction score
I have a 90 overnighter with 140 suzuki 4 stroke using a 3 blade 14 - 18 Ss prop and it does not get close to max rpm topping out at 5200-5400. I'm thinking of a 4 blade 14-15 or 16. 200 hours on strong motor, no trim tabs and transom mounted.Any comments?

LeapFrog

Reaction score
The folks at PropGods were very helpful when I changed from a 3 to a 4 blade prop... I was actually able to keep a 17 pitch even though traditionally you need to drop an inch or two...
I mapped out my speed and rpm's before I called them and based on that we were able to decide on the powertech 4-blade 17's..
Love them! Most importantly the engines are running in the RPM range where they need to be and then the bonus of nearly 10% increase in mpg... 1.1 up to 1.2 isn't much at cruise, but every bit helps! Handling at cruise improved and slow speed trolling was much more stable.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
17" pitch is too much for that boat and engine.

I blew up a 140 hp engine on my old 204C swinging a 17" prop. The boat performed OK with 2 people on board but the engine overloaded when hauling scuba divers and gear. After rebuilding the powerhead, the rig ran much better with a 15" prop.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Didn't mean to imply a 17 pitch for the OP's boat... that was what I used on my Marlin... I was able to stay with the same pitch because I was on the top end of the RPM range... with the extra lift of the 4 blades, I squeaked out a few additional RPMs as well so I could stay with a 17 and hit the middle range...
I would agree that for his boat, a 15 pitch sounds like it would work very well for him...