What prop for 282 Sailfish

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2002 282 Sailfish with two Yamaha 200hp HPDI engines, I am running 17M size props, that are not stamped with any brand and may not be OEM. My mechanic said I should be getting another 300RPM at WOT and my hull is clean. I may be over- propped.

I run the boat at sea with 5 people and full tanks, offshore fishing.

What props are others successfully running on their 282 Sailfish running these engines?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
They are standard Yam props if they have 17M on them and are high polish stainless. Are your props dinged up? That's the exact prop I run on my 01' 282 with 01' 200HPDI's also. I typically get 5100-5200 rpms out of the motors when I'm loaded as you are. The spec on the HPDI's range is 4500-5500 max WOT. I have only ever seen 5500 one time on my boat. That was with a very fresh bottom and two people on board, enclosure off etc. That is a heavy boat and then put 220 gallons of fuel, 5 guys and gals tackle ice etc it really adds up. More importantly how does it run at cruise speed? I typically cruise at 3900-4000 rpms and run 26-27 knots(not mph) and burn about 18.5-20.0 gallons per hour depending on sea state.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I concur with the comments by Rainmaker.

Props should be selected which allow the boat to reach the top of the WOT RPM range (i.e. 5500 for the HPDIs) when lightly loaded, so that you are not lugging the engine and remain within the rated WOT RPM range (4500-5500) when more heavily loaded.

If the OP is hitting 5200 RPM at WOT with a loaded boat, then those figures seem fine.

Note: We originally had a single 250HP OX66 and propped for 5500 light, then could hit 5200-5300 when loaded. Ran at 4000 to keep the fuel burn reasonable. Repowered to the twin F150s and propped them to hit 5950 light, so we can still hit 5600 when loaded. Happy to run them at 4500-4800 all day.

Brian

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OK, thanks guys.
My props are in fine condition, yes polished stainless 3 blade and 15.25inch diameter. It runs well. I think we usually run at about 3700RPM and 25mph to get 15gph....or there-abouts...again depending on conditions, but that is on a nice calm-sea plane. Which does not sound bad compared to your stats Rainmaker.

The mechanic who helped with some engine repairs has suggested I try 14.5inch diameter x 15inch pitch 4 blade prop, but I worry that he is just up-selling. We are doing some boat updates (mostly electronics) and repairs on this nice second hand low hour boat we purchased out of USA (now in Australia), but I have not had a boat this size or weight before so maybe I should stick with props I have got.

If the 17M is the standard GW prop, that gives me a lot of comfort. The fact that I can't find a Yamaha stamp on it suggested to me that it was not standard.

Based on your comments Rainmaker and ocnsir, I will check where WOT is when loaded (see if it is 5100-5200), I do think he was targeting +5500 RPM.

Thanks guys.

LouisR

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
You are on the right track. that 17 M on the prop is indeed yamahas stamp. IIRC the 17M is a copy of the Mercury mirage plus. I may be wrong but its been a long time since I researched this with Ken at Propgods.com. Mercury is known for having the best props in the business IMHO. Grady tested your (and mine) boats with the F200 yam (v6 noted for not being a strong 200hp motor) F225 v6 four strokes , and 200 HPDI's for hole shot cruise speed , fuel burn and top end . Guess what won?? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count :mrgreen:
You're fine FISH ON!!!
If you absolutely have to have new props contact Ken at PROPGODS he is the man!!