What rear anchor for the swim platform locker

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
What rear anchor do you use that fits in the swim platform locker? I had been using a 3lb Cooper on my previous boat and wanted to use it on the GW, but it doesn't fit in the that aft storage space. I have to keep it in the helm storage area. Don't want to store it in the livewell or the transom cooler because I don't want the chain to scratch it all up. Was wondering what anchor you are using that fits the aft storage space.

D.D.

Reaction score
Fortress Anchors....EXCELLENT anchors.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd get a small Delta that fits in the space. It's really there to hold the swing of the boat so it doesn't need to be large.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Here are the dimensions of my swim platform anchor locker on my Fisherman 236, I think it is the same as yours. I used them to purchase an anchor a few years ago. Don’t remember the exact brand. My boat is still in the rack but it will be back in the water the first week of May and I could send you the exact information then.

Attachments

• 3F071CB0-0FB7-49F2-91C0-D00FA78F4D11.jpeg
    3F071CB0-0FB7-49F2-91C0-D00FA78F4D11.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 6FDDD909-4737-4843-B4AB-6582FD35B3A6.jpeg
    6FDDD909-4737-4843-B4AB-6582FD35B3A6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 788E25B7-383A-4B81-A164-B3476F1488C3.jpeg
    788E25B7-383A-4B81-A164-B3476F1488C3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
What rear anchor do you use that fits in the swim platform locker? I had been using a 3lb Cooper on my previous boat and wanted to use it on the GW, but it doesn't fit in the that aft storage space. I have to keep it in the helm storage area. Don't want to store it in the livewell or the transom cooler because I don't want the chain to scratch it all up. Was wondering what anchor you are using that fits the aft storage space.
To
What rear anchor do you use that fits in the swim platform locker? I had been using a 3lb Cooper on my previous boat and wanted to use it on the GW, but it doesn't fit in the that aft storage space. I have to keep it in the helm storage area. Don't want to store it in the livewell or the transom cooler because I don't want the chain to scratch it all up. Was wondering what anchor you are using that fits the
Here are the dimensions of my swim platform anchor locker on my Fisherman 236, I think it is the same as yours. I used them to purchase an anchor a few years ago. Don’t remember the exact brand. My boat is still in the rack but it will be back in the water the first week of May and I could send you the exact information the
Here are the dimensions of my swim platform anchor locker on my Fisherman 236, I think it is the same as yours. I used them to purchase an anchor a few years ago. Don’t remember the exact brand. My boat is still in the rack but it will be back in the water the first week of May and I could send you the exact information then.
Here is the anchor in my anchor locker on my Fisherman 236:

Attachments

• 873A3E86-F304-43DF-B907-55940D4E811D.jpeg
    873A3E86-F304-43DF-B907-55940D4E811D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 314B15B8-7689-4FC3-94DD-C00623FFD561.jpeg
    314B15B8-7689-4FC3-94DD-C00623FFD561.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Freedom:
If by "Rear Anchor" you are referring to the secondary stern anchor that you would deploy for an afternoon at the sandbar or any application in reasonably calm conditions, no chain is necessary.

As Fishtales said, if it is to keep the boat from swinging in the wind/current, a light-duty Delta or a Danforth as pictured in Punchline Cap's shot will work nicely.

Just make sure you have plenty of scope as you would for the primary bow anchor. I carry roughly 75 feet of line for my stern anchor, and generally use it in 3-5 foot depths.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hi Freedom:
If by "Rear Anchor" you are referring to the secondary stern anchor that you would deploy for an afternoon at the sandbar or any application in reasonably calm conditions, no chain is necessary.

In regard to chain for a rear beach anchor, it may not be needed for holding power. However when we stern in anchor to the beach or local islands. I find the chain helpful as it eliminates a tripping hazard of just rope over sand. We have a tidal swing on average of around 7 ft. if the anchor is on the beach at it will at many times be exposed with the rode at shin height.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
drbatts has an interesting point with regard to possible tripping over exposed rode.

I never anchored in an area with that much of a tide variation, but under those circumstances, a chain would be an asset.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
After a bit of finagling I discovered that the Cooper anchor will fit in the swim platform storage compartment. Problem solved! If you anchor in sandy bottoms, I highly recommend the Cooper.

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
After a bit of finagling I discovered that the Cooper anchor will fit in the swim platform storage compartment. Problem solved! If you anchor in sandy bottoms, I highly recommend the Cooper.
The problem I have is that the swim platform height is very shallow. My Fortress anchor won’t fit in such a shallow space. Cooper anchor? Those seem to require even more vertical space. This is what is see: https://www.cooperanchors.com/store What am I missing?

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The black 3lb anchor will fit.
Are you talking about their 3.3 pound anchor like this? https://www.cooperanchors.com/store/p/15kg-33lb-nylon-cooper-anchor
They don’t offer dimensions but if that would fit in my 6-1/8” high swim platform locker I suspect it’s a very small anchor and might not hold even my stern in our high current flows at mid tide times. Our tides here range 3 feet to 4 feet so our water flow speeds are pretty significant. Do you think these Cooper style anchors offer as much or greater pull out resistance as the same weight Fortress, Fluke style anchor on a sand bottom? My 4 pound (FX-7) Fortress Fluke is more than 6-1/8” high. I admit that I don’t need this big of an anchor for anti-swing of my stern while on a beach. Btw, don’t compare weights of a galvanized, steel fluke style anchor to the Fortress brand aluminum fluke style anchor. The Fortress is much much lighter for the same physical size and it’s the physical size that gives the holding power. (A 4# Fortress Fluke = 10 pound galvanized Fluke anchor). If you’d like a lighter weight anchor for the same holding power you’re going to love the Fortress.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
M
Are you talking about their 3.3 pound anchor like this? https://www.cooperanchors.com/store/p/15kg-33lb-nylon-cooper-anchor
They don’t offer dimensions but if that would fit in my 6-1/8” high swim platform locker I suspect it’s a very small anchor and might not hold even my stern in our high current flows at mid tide times. Our tides here range 3 feet to 4 feet so our water flow speeds are pretty significant. Do you think these Cooper style anchors offer as much or greater pull out resistance as the same weight Fortress, Fluke style anchor on a sand bottom? My 4 pound (FX-7) Fortress Fluke is more than 6-1/8” high. I admit that I don’t need this big of an anchor for anti-swing of my stern while on a beach. Btw, don’t compare weights of a galvanized, steel fluke style anchor to the Fortress brand aluminum fluke style anchor. The Fortress is much much lighter for the same physical size and it’s the physical size that gives the holding power. (A 4# Fortress Fluke = 10 pound galvanized Fluke anchor). If you’d like a lighter weight anchor for the same holding power you’re going to love the Fortress.
My 3lb Cooper holds the stern with no problem here in Pensacola with a sandy bottom in all conditions. I have about 6' of chain on it as well. Throw it in, give it a tug and it is set. Doesn't budge at all. It does fit in the 235 Freedom swim platform locker.

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
M

My 3lb Cooper holds the stern with no problem here in Pensacola with a sandy bottom in all conditions. I have about 6' of chain on it as well. Throw it in, give it a tug and it is set. Doesn't budge at all. It does fit in the 235 Freedom swim platform locker.
I am glad to know the Cooper 3 is so small. However, the tide high-low range on the Gulf is very small (0.6’) so your water flow speeds are also very small so I’ve got much more to contend with here. See attached charts. 0.6’ vs 4.0’ tide range.

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0