What seastar seal kit do I need for my 1992 grady seafarer

Haliboutit

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good morning,

My steering is leaking hydraulic fluid when I turn wheel... it’s leaking at the base of the wheel but is probably dripping down the inside of the plastic cover. I want to replace all seals.. does anyone know which kit I need to get offhand. I could pull it apart and look, but if someone already knows, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Cpt. Josh

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you need to inspect the unit, maybe both ends and get the numbers. Why guess at it?

Reactions: Haliboutit

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
there's a good chance its this one but you need to check your helm pn

Seastar HS5176 Helm Seal Kit & Seastar HA5438 Filler Tube & Seal Pick Tool .... Available on Amazon for about $40.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It's crazy $2 worth of o-rings and a gasket is $40. If you can get the gasket separate do that and buy an Oring kit from harbor freight. You will have o-rings for everything on the boat. Just did the fill caps and the Bennett actuators. Paid the $40 for that kit :(

Haliboutit

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you... I pull it apart to eliminate ordering the wrong part

Willy-C

Reaction score
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/teleflexSeal.html

Check out this link, it shows replacing the quad ring seal. It also lists older shaft dia as 1.00” (quad ring size 214) and the newer shaft dia at .750” (quad ring size 210).
You should be able to find that seal at a good local hyd repair shop, or let me know what the dia the shaft is and I can send out the new seal to you via mail.

I did mine a few years ago, had everything in stock (I own a hyd shop) and it was pretty simple, no need to pull the whole pump but you will need to remove the steering wheel to access the front cover.

This assuming if you have the same style in the link.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
It's crazy $2 worth of o-rings and a gasket is $40. If you can get the gasket separate do that and buy an Oring kit from harbor freight. You will have o-rings for everything on the boat. Just did the fill caps and the Bennett actuators. Paid the $40 for that kit :(

Last boat had twins and when the helm and rams needed seals I took everything apart and took the seals to a hydraulic repair shop.

For around 20 bucks I replaced all the seals in the helm and 2 rams. Then bought a gallon of aero shell and serviced the entire system way cheaper than seastar parts.