What size anchor for 265 Express

glastron21

Reaction score
Just wondering what size/type anchor fellow 265 owners are using. Anchored a couple of times last year and the danforth thats on there is not enough. I need to go bigger just want some opinions.

Jim
01' 265 Express

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is not always the size of the anchor, too short of a length of anchor chain will also make it hard to anchor. You can have a heavy anchor, but you need chain infront of it not only to get it down easier, but also to let the line bow down below the anchor to chain connection so it can grab to set. I have about 15ft of chain on my anchor, it isn't a bigt anchor either, it's the same size I had on my 22' Grady believe it or not but I've anchored in 200ft of water with it. Not sure of the exact size, I can find out this weekend when I go back down if you would like. I believe it is rated for boats only up to 26', most anchor manufacturer's will have a recommended size range for each anchor, I'd buy one that you places your boat at the low part of that range, or buy one a class size up. The 265 is a big 26' boat and acts bigger, I'd say get an anchor for a 28-30' boat. I use a danforth and anchor in sand, mudd, clam and mussel beds and never have issues. Also, are you giving a 3:1 scope, in string currents in may need to be 5:1. If there is not enough line out most anchors will not grab or stay that way long. Hopefully this helps a little, if you need my anchor size I will get you that Friday when I get down there.

glastron21

Reaction score
Thanks Gradyfish22. I have 15' of chain as well. When I anchor it's usually up against a bar to fish. Usually a little rough. I usually shoot for a 5:1 scope sometimes more. With the curtains down and the wind blowin it seemed I was draggin alot. Not something I like when I am right on the white water. I believe I have a 14lb danforth. I think going up a size will help. Was just curious what other 265 owners where using before spending the money.

Jim
01' 265 Express

dduflo

Reaction score
Danforth has different styles. Their High Tensile anchors are much much better. Thinner so that the way they dig into the bottom is the key. Don't believe the lookalikes. I have tried them and they are woth the extra $$$

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jim, I am not certain but I believe mine is a 14lb anchor as well. I do agree with dduflo, the thinner and more expensive danforth's from high end brands do typically set better. I've only had one day where I had an issue grabbing, took me 3 tries on a mussel bed, fishing a similar type of area as you, up against a bar for stripers and the current was ripping. From years of experience, I've learned that letting more line out will let the anchor grab more, I probably had a 7:1 ratio out that day and held all day, I tried shorter lengths but it did not work.