What size and Weight Capacity do I Need for a 2015 Canyon 271?

Marbles816

Reaction score
I just put a deposit on a 2015 Canyon 271 and need to purchase a trailer. Any feed back would be great! Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The best way to go about this is to simply do the simple math and add up the numbers. You can get the specs online. To the weight of the boat, add the engine/engines, full fuel/water/head, any options over std, batteries and add at least 500lbs for gear/ice/etc. Add another 10% for good measure and that's the weight capacity you want. Length is determined by measuring the boat - typically you measure a straight line from the bow eye to the garboard drain plug (or the furthest aft area of the hull that the bunks/rollers would rest against).

Some good trailers that you'll find in your neck of the woods are Shoreland'r and Tidewater. Load Rite is OK, too. Stay away from Venture.

Now... the easiest way? Let the shop that you are buying the trailer from do the work for you. After all, you're paying them!

Are you doing the proper setup on the trailer or is the shop?

seasick

Reaction score
That hull weighs 5800 pounds.. To that you have to add the weight of the engines, gas at about 6.3 pounds, fresh water at about 8 pound's per gallon and then some extra for stowed gear. That hull weighs 5800 pounds. A full tank of gas adds about 1200 pounds ( of course you probably wouldn't want to trailer with a full tank. I don't know what motors you have but an approximate estimate would be about 1200 pounds. Fresh water is 144 pounds. Add some gear and you are at about 8400 pounds. The trailer adds to the gross capacity needed so you are at about 10,000 pounds. Usually you want a minimum of 10% headroom so we are at the 10,000 12,000 pound range. That puts you into the triple axel class. Your best bet is to contact a trailer manufacturer directly and have them present suitable models based on your needs.
Don't forget that you need a suitable vehicle to haul that beast and most likely permits for the highways.

Marbles816

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. That's what I figured out too. I reached out to 5 different places and two responded with their quotes so far. One dealer had an option of a heavy duty dual or triple and the other dealer was a triple. The price range was about $400 difference between them with all the same features. (I sent everyone an email having all the specs I was looking for on the trailer)

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Call Grady, they have the full trailer specs for the boat: fully loaded weight, distance from bow eye to transome, etc

Marbles816

Reaction score
Yes sir, that's what I did and I just received the information about 20 minutes ago. Thanks.