What size kicker for 24 Offshore?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have an old Evinrude 7.5HP laying around. Is it worthwhile to put this on the back, or is it a waste of time? I'm guessing/hoping it will "do the job"? Do any of you with similarly sized Grady's use a kicker? What are your experiences?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dennis, I had to use a 9.9 to get my 22' seafarer to home after main outboard seized. I was on long island sound by Stepping Stone lighthouse, and putted all the way to ramp on Hudson River under GW bridge. A good 15-20 miles. I surely didn't break any speed records, but I did make it, and that was through "Hells Gate", Harlem River, and East River. I would imagine that 7 1/2 would move your 24 along in fairly calm conditions, but probably just barely. I'm keeping my eyes open for a 15-20hp kicker for my 24. Hopefully I'll find a good deal on a x-long shaft 4stroke so I can run a line from the fuel separator to it, and not need an extra tank on board.

Since you have the 7 1/2 already, why not throw it on and see how it does. It may surprise you!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you made it through Hell's Gate, I think I'll be do alright! The 24 isn't all that much heavier. I know it's probably not "ideal" since I'll likely be running it near WOT all the time - but as long as it'll get us home I'll be happy for now. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste of time - otherwise I would wait till I come across a bigger motor. I'll probably put a T fitting into the gas line - use that to transfer fuel into a portable tank and just mix as I go.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
If you made it through Hell's Gate, I think I'll be do alright! The 24 isn't all that much heavier. I know it's probably not "ideal" since I'll likely be running it near WOT all the time - but as long as it'll get us home I'll be happy for now. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste of time - otherwise I would wait till I come across a bigger motor. I'll probably put a T fitting into the gas line - use that to transfer fuel into a portable tank and just mix as I go.

Well, I'll admit that the "tide gods" were very kind to me that day! It was a smooth and steady trip with favorable currents the whole way home. I would guestamate we were travelling around 5mph or so. I was more concerned about the 6 gallon mixed fuel cell running out, or the old Evinrude kicker failing, but both served well that day!

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 9.9 on my 1992 24 explorer and I have had to use it a few times worked great..next time I'm out I'll let you know what I get for speed..like a previous posted said your not gonna break any speed records.