What size Motor is reasonable

CaptMatt

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Hi All,
im in the middle of restoring a 173 Spirit . Solid Transom and Stringers but needed floors, some minor Glass work , stripped out the ugly interior and paint. i'm looking for a motor now and was wondering. Based on the value of the hull is it really worth dropping a brand new 90HP four stroke (10 grand) or could i step down a bit to a 75 Merc 2 stroke ( 4 grand)...or for that matter to a 60 Johnson 4 stroke( 4 grand)IMG_3456.jpg.. will either motor push the hull on plane and top out around 30? Just wondering

CaptMatt

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
says it can handle up to a 125 .. i got the boat w/o a motor. Pics i've seen on the internet of the Grady Brochure show it with a 115.. im not looking to break speed records...just get up on plane

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Before knowing the rating I was going to say a 2-stroke 115 would be great - I still think so. Should be affordable too. I had one (Yamaha) on a 17' Glas Ply and it was amazing. You aren't WOT when cruising, and it doesn't matter if you are alone or with 4 people. That size is good on gas too...

Nice boat!

CaptMatt

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Thanks , i like bring old stuff headed to the dump back to life. This one is a nice hull , should ride nice
i was afraid to hear that.. finding a 2 stroke 115 might prove hard to find.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would check on 115 four stroke mercury. Their price is around 8500 installed in this neck of the woods.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just going off experience with a bunch of boats that general size in the past... I wouldn't do the 60HP. The 75 will get you on plane and zip along as long as you keep the load light. The 90 should boogie along real well and the 115 should scream.

You can always add Smart Tabs for under $200 - easy install and makes a VERY dramatic difference in how quickly/easily it gets on plane... and gives a better ride, too.

dainlaroche

Reaction score
I agree, 70 HP is adequate. I had a boat that size and took 5 people out and pulled a skier with a 70 HP. It was a long drag to get the skier up but we did it. I think a 90 would be perfect and you should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. No way I'd put a new motor on a boat that old.

Last edited:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We messed around with a 170 Tournament years ago. It had a 115 on it. I wouldn't go any less than a 90. Also, I'm pretty sure that's a 20" transom. Make sure and look for a 20" motor so you don't have to jack plate it after the fact.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
" I had a boat that size and took 5 people out and pulled a skier with a 70 HP "

I don't think you could even get me up on a slalom ski with a 70 by yourself. Our 16' couldn't...

CaptMatt

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
thanks to everyone for the comments. Its making me re-evaluate what i should put on. For sure a 90 .Now its a question of new or used. Sparkdog118 is that 8500 a new motor?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Was new installed. The Mercury dealer. Offshore performance in Bonita springs. Fla