What sort of numbers?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Having my coffee... and you all were bored so.. more posts from me.. lol.

So, I have twin 225 4-strokes. I am curious. What is "the" best prop for a 2004 Islander, in your opinions?

What sort of numbers would I, should I, be looking at?

Just curious. Was looking at all sorts of reading material on the interwebs.. heh.. and was thinking there is a lot of info on 30' and above, or CC Gradys, but.. was curious what sort of mpg I will/may see, rpm, etc.

I am not "repowering".. but was looking at the numbers of what the newer engines do, just as a reference, and cannot really find comparable. While a 250hp may be nice, the mpg on the 225 seem to be a lot better, and might be cheaper, but a 200 might be under powered. (again.. not re-powering, just learning, reading, drinking coffee.. heh)

R

co1063

Reaction score
Model
Islander
like you said not much about islanders out there. i have a 2003 islander with twin 200hp hpdi yamaha n love the performance. Its quick to plane, can run 45-50mph depending on load and i average 14-16gph fuel burn at cruise speed of 27-30mph. Thinking of repowering with 200hp e-tecs in a couple years cause i love the 2 stroke performance.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was looking at 150 vs 225...I think the 150 may be too small, albeit I really do not care to go over 40mph... I do like the hole shot and power of larger. I also am thinking the gas usage and cost of a 250 is ...oh, hell.. they are all insane lol.

I do not know. Part of me thinks rebuilding both from the ground up for 10-20k vs brand new engines for 40+ .. rebuilding may be more viable. dunno.

There will always be those that say "if yer gonna pay 20k..." but, half the payment...hell.. 10k down and a 10k loan? yea... might be worth just a really top to bottom rebuild solution.

R

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Russ, if I had to spend $20k to rebuilt against $40k for new I would go new every time without hesitation but that's me. Keep in mind that you will get some $$ for your old engines as long they are running, I don't know how much you will get but I would think $10k? So exchange would be $30k against $20 k rebuild and you still have 16 yo engines.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your fuel mileage would be close to equal or better with the F250. It would take less umph to get on plane and less rpm to maintain said speed with the bigger motor. They won't work as hard as your current ones to run at cruise speed. The midrange performance is where the F250 shines over the current F225, and midrange is where we tend to run the majority of the time. You don't have to run on the pins all the time with the F250, pull it back and cruise in the 40's. If you need the extra, you still have it.