What survey findings are a red flag for you?

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 2011 Freedom 275 if the survey checks out. I've heard a lot about things to watch out for with Gradys, such as wet transoms and stringers and sloppy wiring. (No insult to the brand - I know GW is a top tier builder and that's why I'm interested in buying one.)

What survey findings would cause you to cancel a deal? What would make you try to negotiate a repair or price adjustment? What would you just chalk up to par for the course future maintenance?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water intrusion first, although the newer boats have limited wood. Check with GW on your model.
Anything that can't be bolted or easily replaced - severe wiring issues, major system failures and hull/glass damage.

seasick

Reaction score
A certified surveyor was doing his thing on a boat I was considered many years ago. After about 20 minutes, he said to me " Professionally I can't tell you to not buy this boat but if you want to tell me to stop the survey, just say so" I looked at him, understood what he was saying and ended the survey.
I was new at the boating game and as I later learned his suggestion saved me from buying a vessel with big problems.:)

There is no black and white answer to your question. For example, a vessel may have wiring issues but you are an electrical savvy guy and like to do things yourself, so maybe the problem is not a show stopper. On the other hand, you might not want to deal with issues.
So ask your surveyor as he or she identifies areas of concern to explain what the implications are and how big of a deal are they are. A good surveyor should be able to ballpark a cost to remediate a problem at least in magnitude of the cost range

For specific models of hulls and models of motors, research what you can to see if there are common problems. Yes wet transoms are an issue but in many cases wet spots in a transom or other hull areas may not be a big deal and may be easily addressed. Many buyers are fixated on the transom but there are many other areas that can turn out to be major concerns. Express wet stringers on the port side and hull delamination is one. F350 flywheel issues are another. You probably are aware of exhaust issues on some F225s and F250s.
A surveyor may detect evidence of a major repair that was necessitated by an accident or abuse. The surveyor should be able to tell if the boat and systems were cared for or neglected

A price reduction after finding an issue or issues may sound good but if the price drops a few thousand bu the fix might cost 10 thousand, it isn't such a good deal. I can't stress enough the value of a good survey done by someone with extensive experience on similar vessels.
You probably need a mechanic's survey also on the motors, don't skimp and don't used a mechanic or surveyor recommended by the seller or a broker.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you are new to boating all the surveyor’s findings are important. But as pointed out already It is hard to do hypotheticals without knowing your boat ownership experience and maintenance propensity. I’ve used the Marine Surveyor’s findings to adjust the sales price, to identify the key items of “used boat” purchase risk and to go into an ownership future with my eyes wide open.

seasick

Reaction score
"Maintenance propensity"... I like that description

Reactions: ilmmct

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rot and moisture on the hull.. most surveyors won't thoroughly inspect the motors... that's important too.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Well, the Freedom 275 passed the survey today and I wrote the big check. There were no material findings, just some small stuff like a missing fire extinguisher, scuffs in some cushions, and some elevated moisture levels in the removable floor panels. The biggest issue in my mind is some keel damage that occurred while launching for the sea trial due to poor trailer fitment. It was just gel coat damage; certainly would have preferred it didn't happen but it's not unheard-of. Thanks everyone for the quick inputs!

Ntz6hbT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mhinch and ilmmct