What the heck did I get myself into?

seasick

Reaction score
It's mid July and while many folks may be thinking about the new school year, this is the time when I start to think about the boat market pre winter season. I think we all know that in 4 season climates that the end of summer is one of the best times in general to look for a boat.( Start of new model year periods historically have been good times also for leftovers)

Many folks may be faced with the decision to pay for winter storage and winterizing or just sell the boat.
I wonder if this year will be different.

Boat prices, new and used have gone through the roof, mostly due to demand increases and supply shortages.
There are a lot of new boaters out there and I suspect that a decent amount of first time purchases were somewhat impulse/Covid related.
At the end of this season, will we will see a lot of "What the heck did I get myself into" syndrome as people start to realize that the costs of ownership are probably a bit higher than they originally thought.
I guess time will tell..

Reactions: PointedRose

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I found this to be very true (low inventory) when I was looking for my 232. Got to the point I was going to wait until the Fall thinking people were not sure what they had gotten into and didn't want to pay for winterization. Good news is I found one.

Talking to a local dealer he has no "new" inventory and his "preowned" is very small with most boats not desirable. I had sold my twenty year Bayliner in four hours after listing on Craigslist with three offers at full price sight unseen. Will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few months.

seasick

Reaction score
How is that 232 working out. With a few small concerns, I like that model a lot.

In my opinion, buying a boat, sight unseen is as dopey as buying a house like that. It's madness!

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I was very determined to find a 232 with a hardtop and twin 150's for fishing. Previous boat had traveled to Montreal and to NYC via the canals from Lake Champlain and was a great boat when the kids were young. As they grew up and had kids of their own my boys felt we needed a wider beam and more space on the deck versus the cuddy. Then we started looking. Two failed survey's and didn't want a project boat as I enjoy being on the water to much.

Been chipping away at replacing corroded wire connections as boat was originally in Maryland and now in freshwater. Trying to be proactive versus waiting for something to fail. Once I get through my Oil alarm issue I believe I will be in great shape. The forum is amazing and appreciate the assistance from everyone. I belong to a local fishing forum and it too is helpful on finding the fish!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You mean the contract that I just signed for $900/month till I'm dead doesn't include maintenance, storage, insurance, and fuel? @#$&! I'm sure I can sell this thing for what I have in it - right?
All kidding aside, I think the crap weather this year for many areas is also going to contribute to an uptick in boats for sale this fall, but I think next year even moreso.
And no, I don't have a loan, and I don't plan on selling for a long while. :)

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"In my opinion, buying a boat, sight unseen is as dopey as buying a house like that. It's madness!"

We bought our house at the coast sight unseen, full price offer. Have not regretted it one minute in ten years. We were at a trade show in Tuscon, and our realtor told us all the laws were in our favor, and we could get out of it if we didn't like it. At the time, people were making offers, even signing contracts, on 2 or 3 houses at a time, and then making their choice.

seasick

Reaction score
I am glad it worked out for you. I could never do that!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"In my opinion, buying a boat, sight unseen is as dopey as buying a house like that. It's madness!"

We bought our house at the coast sight unseen, full price offer. Have not regretted it one minute in ten years. We were at a trade show in Tuscon, and our realtor told us all the laws were in our favor, and we could get out of it if we didn't like it. At the time, people were making offers, even signing contracts, on 2 or 3 houses at a time, and then making their choice.
Tucson Gem Show?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Very good time to sell this year - the sooner the better. There will be a lot more boats for sale in 2-years or so IMHO. As stated, the shine wears off, the costs increase, people are running credit higher, and the next shiny penny comes along that catches their eye. Marinas have long waiting lists so prices will be going up. Fuel likely to rise with the libs running the show. Firms can charge crazy prices for motor repairs (hard to get new ones), glass work and upgrades. I think the shakeout takes some time but when it happens there will be deals to be had and an oversupply of used boats on the market. Time will certainly tell.

seasick

Reaction score
Does New Jersey still not let you pump gas into your own car? How about your boat?
No to gas stations and Yes to Gas docks usually won't pump the gas due to liability issues.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
$3.69 looks cheap as on Lake Champlain I paid 4.22. NY side is generally another .10-.13 more.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No to gas stations and Yes to Gas docks usually won't pump the gas due to liability issues.
and they don't want to sit on someone's boat for 40 minutes pumping hundreds of gallons...

BTW..."No self serve" gas is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Jobs, no stinky hand, when its 10 degrees or raining sideways you crack the window and say "fill er up"...and it doesn't cost any more money

Reactions: Alweidner

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I find it hard to believe that a station with paid attendants can sell their gas for the same price as a station with 20 self service pumps. Not to mention the wait. Been a long time since I drove through Jersey, used to do it every month or so. Let's say you have an island with 4 pumps, does one attendant have all 4 pumping at once, or does he/she stay with one at a time?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I find it hard to believe that a station with paid attendants can sell their gas for the same price as a station with 20 self service pumps. Not to mention the wait. Been a long time since I drove through Jersey, used to do it every month or so. Let's say you have an island with 4 pumps, does one attendant have all 4 pumping at once, or does he/she stay with one at a time?
all at once. and if you stop at WAWA go in for a coffee and donut. When you come out your tank is full and your donut doesn't smell like gas.

NJ has cheaper gas than all of its surrounding neighbor states that don't have attendants. Until a recent 25 cent gas tax hike it was one of the cheapest states.

PS sorry for sending this thread onto a different subject...:rolleyes: