What to look for in 22 Seafarer

jeffjeeptj

Reaction score
NEWB here, not new to boating. Started when my father built wooden boats (I was a little boy). I'm now 59. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1996 Seafarer with 200 Yamaha, Saltwater series. Condition is unknown at this time. The boat was supposedly the husband's pride and joy. I've only been able to talk with the wife. She says she knows nothing about the boat. I've been feverishly reading this site for information, thought I'd ask too.
I have been around the Bost Wh brand with Mercs in the past.

With the Grady, what should I look for? Known usual good areas, known areas to watch on the hull. The boat has been in the Cheasapeake Bay area on a boat lift all of its life.
My brother previously owned a Yamaha on a bracket. Had a lot of problems with the motor, that I think were associated with the bracket (ie. mmotor dunking when anchored at Pennekamp). He had to be towed in many times. Bought the boat/motor new. Besides overall appearance (outside and inside cowling), lower unit oil, and compression, What else should be focused on.

Thanks in advance.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where is the boat located? Perhaps someone here can go take a look at it and give you a candid assessment.

A survey is probably not a bad idea either, depending on how comfortable you feel after you crawl all over it.

Used boats may look good, but things pop up. The key is getting an idea of what maintenance has been done, and what needs to be done to get it to the condition that you want it in. As someone who is in and out of used boats fairly regularly (5 in the last 7 years or so) I can tell you that cosmetics don't scare me because I don't mind buffing and compounding and seeing the results of my efforts. I look hard at the wiring, the bilge, the motor, the rigging, the bottom, etc... to try to get an idea of if water has been somewhere it shouldn't, and whether or not the previous owner has truly been meticulous with his/her maintenance.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get a survey. . . best advice.

I have a 228G. The only complaint that I have is that this boat with the motor on the bracket has a mind of its own when backing down. No, I am not new to boating. Some owners of this model advocate using a lot of up tilt. I now tilt the motor up when backing. I think it helps.

Good luck on the purchase.

Bob

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The seller is always going to say the boat was meticulously maintained (occasionally it's true). The boat has potential to be a sweet deal but be prepared to walk. Look for signs that the boat was maintained and no water lines in the bilge. There are many things to look for that would be covered in a survey. If the boat passes the first round find a surveyor, it's best to have a pro go over it and give a written assessment. The insurance company many want a copy too.

I have '96 SWS2 Yami 200's, probably the same motor as that boat has. The only negatives to the older carb models is a little more fuel consumption and getting them going on a cold November morning. Once they're warmed up they run flawlessly. Any motor that's been dunked will give you fits, all it takes is one bad connection and it's tow time.

Rule #1: Unless you can write the money off and not miss it and be able to junk the boat get a survey.