What to look for

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey guys my buddy is looking at a 1990 228 with a 2006 yamy 4banger on a bracket with I believe 700hrs on it... It has a bimini with a wrap around.... Amy tips on what to look for? I told him to check the transom where the bracket is connected look for the grady rot... Check the fuel cell... Anything else? Any tips will be appreciated

Fishtales

Reaction score
Its a 30+ year hull. Best advice is to get a good survey. Look at the transom, decking and stringer cores. Likely wood, so you may have some rot or weakness. Fuel tanks and hoses to the thru hulls should be inspected.

davescarp

Reaction score
wiring wiring wiring. through hulls and in particular the scuppers and hoses. as suggested contract a qualified surveyor. mid-section corrosion on the yammy but it may be fine being a 2006.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It’s 30 years old so check for flex in the hatch over the fuel tank. There’s a good chance that needs to be recored. Ask how old the fuel tank is . If it original it either needs to be replaced or will need to be very soon. That’s about $8-900 for a tank and hoses. Labor will be more be it yours or paid out to someone else. If your lucky you might get a year of use before needing to do it. I wouldn’t let that scare you off, it’s part of buying and owning an older boat. Just factor those numbers into your purchase price.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Check compression on the engine. Can pull the spark plugs and take a look at those too. Google ‘what to look for before buying an outboard’ and you’ll find good tips for the average person. For the hull, start in the lowest point, the bilge and go up from there. If something isn’t maintained, it might have been a bit neglected (electrical, scuppers, anything). Check everything on the trailer too if there is one, anything that needs replacement adds up quick. Before taking a trailer far, grease the bearings well, and pull over and check the heat periodically before getting on a highway. I’ve bought a couple boats without a survey, but definitely get a water trial and open the engine up to full throttle. Check the oil gauge that it doesn’t drop low, and the temperature gauge that it doesn’t get too high. Listen for any odd knocking in the engine. If it’s too pricey, get the survey for peace of mind, but if it’s most of the way there, anything can be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdfish