What trailer for Release 283?

Sfingali

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the process of purchasing a 2009, Grady White Release 283 with the hard top option and 250's. Can anyone suggest an appropriate trailer? Thanks!

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm picking the exact boat up tomorrow morning. Just bought it and it has 250's also.
My trailer is a triple axle with breaks on all wheels. It has a 2-5/16 ball.
That's all I know about it now, I think the dealer has about $7,500 as its value on the bill of sale. I will know more tomorrow and try to get back to you tomorrow night.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Do a forum search and check them all out. I think you'll find that Loadmaster is the best way to go. Wouldn't get too jazzed on the boat and miss the same diligence on the trailer selection.

Sfingali

Reaction score
Thanks! The dealer is including a Venture VATB-8625 triple axle trailer. The boat without engines weighs 5864 pounds. Engines are about 600 each. This trailer is rated for 8600 pounds. Seems as though we are cutting it close. Add 200 gallons of gas and I'm right up there. Won't be trailering the boat. Only using it twice a year, spring launch and fall haul.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I count 8264 JUST for the boat, motors and fuel. Doesn't include water, ice, rigging, batteries, etc...

If your dealer is pushing a Venture trailer, I'd see how much it would be to jump up to the 9625 lb capacity model....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have been sorry TWICE by letting a dealer figure in a trailer for my 22 Seafarer and my (sold) 18 Donzi.
They like many others in life, figure the bare minimum and price it attractively. I trailer everywhere so it affected me more than you, and I had multiple problems.
I replaced the Donzi trailer and did many upgrades to the Seafarer trailer.

You may use it minimally now, but the future is always in question. Don't be stuck with a marginal-at-best trailer if the circumstance arises for more trailering.

Your Release is a big deal..Make sure your trailer is overbuilt to protect it. My current Gulfstream trailer has tandem 7000lbs. axles..huge frame, etc. I wlll not make that mistake again.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
NOT ENOUGH TRAILER for that boat. Contact Gary at Loadmaster in Ohio. He will custom build your trailer. If you are going to keep your boat on a trailer, don't cut corners. I have full size 16" wheels on mine.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a boatmaster tandem 10,000# cap for my 272, handles it fine. Tandem is easier to handle and less maintenance.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Definitely, 10-12K lb capacity for a sailfish. Those trailers weigh a couple of thousand by themselves. You have a thousand pounds of fuel and batteries on that size boat. And they collect a lot of gear. I would be going with 16" heavy duty tires, 12K lb GVW, electric over hydraulic brakes.

Listen to Ken, he's got a great setup for that size of boat. You'll be sorry if you get a light duty trailer for your setup.

Trailers are like pickups - leave a 20% margin, or load to 80% of capacity. You'll be much happier over the long haul. Make sure you've got a big truck to pull it as well. That's a LOT of weight going down the hiway.

Motivator

Reaction score
For my 282 Sailfish, I have a Road King RKAV 26-28 TRB3 w/15" D rated tires. Electric over hydraulic brakes on all 6 wheels.
Don't skimp on your trailer!

shadow379

Reaction score
good trailer for sure

I have a older 1980 24ft offshore, but have her on a 2007 tandem axle heavy duty aluminum trailer with disk brakes. The trailer is more important than the boat itself...No trailer = No boating.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Motivator said:
For my 282 Sailfish, I have a Road King RKAV 26-28 TRB3 w/15" D rated tires. Electric over hydraulic brakes on all 6 wheels.
Don't skimp on your trailer!

That's a nice trailer. Are they putting Tie-Down or Kodiak brakes on them now?

For the OP, here's an example of a heavy duty trailer for a bigger boat.
Roadking specs on this one:
RKAV 26-28TRB 80" / 6.5 225X15D Radial
15200 LB GVW
13000 LB LOAD CARRYING

You might get by with a tandem with the 16" LRD tires, depending on your actual boat weight:
RKAV 26-28TB 80" / 6.5 235X16D Radial
12000 LB GVW
10000 LB CARRYING

A tandem is a little easier to make turns with when manuevering.
Personally I would prefer the heavier frame rails, 7.5 or 8.5", but from their specs it seems the axles and tires are the limiting factors for the GVW rating.

I have 4.5" frames on 6K lb GVW for my smaller boat, and I think they are too small. I have had some issues with flex, and it's critical to get all the supports setup correctly or there can be problems. Mine was definitely not setup right from the factory/dealer, whomever that was. Quite a lot of tweaking to get it right, modified bunks, I could go on... :roll:

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sfingali said:
Thanks! The dealer is including a Venture VATB-8625 triple axle trailer. The boat without engines weighs 5864 pounds. Engines are about 600 each. This trailer is rated for 8600 pounds. Seems as though we are cutting it close. Add 200 gallons of gas and I'm right up there. Won't be trailering the boat. Only using it twice a year, spring launch and fall haul.

Yeah, I would go with the 10625, it has the 15" LRD tires. 14" tires for that load are too small - that's what I have under my 20 footer and they're barely adequate, would much rather have 15's.

How much?
BTW, it doesn't much matter how often you use it, if you need a trailer then you need one that has the capacity for your boat. :wink:

Motivator

Reaction score
CJ,
Unfortunately, they have tie downs. I am on my third set of calipers, fourth set of pads, second set of rotors and have less than 1000 miles on the trailer. It is the price I pay for living close to the ramp, usage cannot be calculated based on mileage.

vaisali

Reaction score
great thanks...I'll keep it in mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: