What would you do differently?

Hildy

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I’m finally taking delivery of a new 251 Coastal Explorer in a month or so. This is my first time purchasing a new boat. With all the experience here, I wonder what you might do any differently from day 0 to say day 120 of your new boat?

Maybe things like:
- during initial delivery from dealer
- equipping the boat
- caring for the boat
- helping family get acquainted
- avoiding screwups
- etc etc

thanks for any advice!

Hildy

Reactions: Rich63

seasick

Reaction score
How big was your previous boat?
What motors on old and new and how many?
I ask because in some cases yoy will benefit by having a lesson or two with an experience captain/friend especially if you are going to twins and haven't had them before.

If you haven't taken a Boaters Safety course, you should and may be legally required to do so.

There are many topics here to discuss and I can't do all of them but in general, you at a minimum should have a coast guard safety package with the things mandated by law. They should be inluded with a new boat.
Don't forget to get all the manuals from the dealer!
If the family includes young children, you will need PFDs for them.You will need an emergency signaling device like flares or the newer electronic signalling devices.
You should have a first aid kit.
You should carry some spare motor oil and spare filters for the separators.
If you have a head, you will need marine sanitation device approved toilet paper. You may want to get some toilet deodorizer.
You should carry some extra dock lines. You probably will need fenders.
You need a boat hook, deck brush ( I like the soft bristles especially for a new hull)
A small bucket and marine deck soap to start.
In terms of electronics, there are a zillion options but a decent VHF radio is a must (you will need an antenna for it to work)

Your new boat is going to be both exciting and maybe intimidating. Your first few trips should leave the kids at home until you feel comfortable.
I probably forgot to mention lot of things and I am sure others will chime in.
Congrats and good luck

Last edited:

Hildy

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Thanks!
prior boat was ages ago but was a 19 ft hydra sports
The 251 CE will have a 300.
Did a two day on water course couple weeks back to brush up and it was very helpful. Should be required!
And I’m pretty set on the list you provided but a few items to add based on that.

Reactions: PointedRose

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When you are in the proximity of anything hard or immovable, go slow and deliberate with the throttles. If possible, practice docking and low speed handling at different engine angles and forward/reverse inputs.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Every person (me included) that I know who has gotten a new boat is dieing to take it out for the 1st time. The urgency impairs judgement and the new owner takes it out in conditions that are too windy. The result is either a close call or damage when leaving or approaching the dock. Don't be that guy.

Reactions: Hildy

Hildy

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Great points. Have thought about being a little careful on day one.
Thanks

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Read your manual for the boat cover to cover. And probably the engine manual too.

leave a case of waters on board too maybe a box of granola bars. And sunblock, even if you don’t need it, someone will. For PFDs I like the smaller kayak style but many people like the auto inflatable pfds since they’re compact

when it comes to maintenance, stay on top of it. Great advice on this forum for the right ways to keep things clean without damaging Gelcoat and such. Follow your engine maintenance schedule closely and the engine break in period.

Like others said go very slow with the throttle before docking. I kick to neutral a couple times beginning about 30 feet away. Practice with some different wind conditions with someone on the dock to help catch you if needed.

be friendly, courteous, responsible and aware on the water to other boaters, keep calm with your passengers but be direct and clear with instructions when you need to, and ENJOY

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Download the CaptainGrady app. It allows you to input your vin/model so the content is specific to the 251 CE. In edition to ease of navigating the User Manual, the App includes videos and extended details on all the boat’s primary systems (trim tabs, engine tilt/trim, lighting, live wells etc.).

Congrats on the new boat. I am on my 3rd year of ownership of my new-to-me 2014 251 CE and absolutely love the boat.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
With regard to PFDs, and everyone is probably aware, that the inflatable variety must be worn at all times to be legal. Type I if you are going far offshore, Type III is what most use. Also need Type IV aboard also. Enjoy!