what would you do?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1547356619649.jpg

This is my son Kyle. He is 22,blind and severely disabled. He had meningitis when he was 24 days old. Kyle LOVES boating. We keep the Grady on Fontana Lake for a few months a year.

This spring I discovered a small section of the bow near the keal where I have some small blisters. my bottom is not painted and no barrier coat. Kyle needs assistance to walk and the driving reason for keeping the boat in the water and on the lake is we can access the fuel dock at the marina to load and unload him. The ramp there is terrible .in fact most boat ramps here are not very good in terms of accessibility. So, we keep the boat in the water.

in a few weeks I am taking the boat to Charleston to get the bottom repaired . I am at a crossroads. A few of my friends here told me avoid painting the bottom . It can reduce the market for the boat because some folks don't want to buy a used boat with bottom paint.

If I don't bottom paint the boat I will be just throwing good money after bad if I don't put a barrier coat and bottom paint. it's not impossible to load and unload Kyle using ramps. it's just more difficult. So, is it the end of the world to barrier coat and bottom paint on 22 foot trailerable boat? Should I get her repaired and just trailer the boat to area lakes and not barrier coat and paint? I am trying to balance the needs of now versus maintaining marketability. I generally don't ask what would you do or buy kind of questions because I think those kinds of decisions ultimately are up to the preferences of the individual. I am torn here . I think I set up the situation fairly straightforward. what say you..paint or not to paint.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would do whatever is best for my kid, as I am sure you have been doing for at least 22 years, and boat depreciation would be a distant second concern.
I think there are options, other than painting the bottom black, or some other traditional bottom paint color. I have seen boats with the bottom painted white, which was not hard on the eyes at all. There was a thread on it somewhere a few years ago, probably THT.
You say you keep it in the water, is a lift possible? Best wishes with whatever you do!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would avoid painting and not because of resale value. A clean bottom boat is much better than a painted one.
Having said that if you leave her in the water any longer than a couple weeks at a time bottom paint is your only option .
If it is easier for the Kyle just do it unless you take her out of the water every 2 weeks for a couple days at a time.
I don't have any experience with fresh water so I don't know how long before growth starts.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you asked your fiberglass guy about a different bottom color other than the black or blue? So not to have that nagging question in your head while the boat sits in the water for those months, your options are paint or pull it every few weeks. If I had to paint, I'd do white. Not so obtrusive as black for a trailer boat.
IMG_2126.JPG

tilewave

Reaction score
paint it. you do to your boat what fits your needs, not what resale calls for. ( i think that would be a low insignificant amount of money anyway ) UNLESS you plan to sell very soon
-my opinion

Reactions: Sdfish

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would paint it

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would paint it and not even think twice.

As for the white bottom paint you might want to do some research first as I find it hard to believe they stay white for long.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
#1, as mentioned, do what's best for your family and your wonderful kid. They say pictures are worth a thousand words - but he just LOOKS like he has a big heart! Besides, I bet Proud Papa wouldn't be sharing a picture if he didn't! :)

But... if it's fixed properly, there would be no reason to think that the blisters would come back. There's also no reason to think that more blisters will definitely show up. Thousands and thousands of boats are kept in the water with no paint and no blisters. Occasionally you get a few but they are typically isolated instances and easily repaired.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We actually don't get much growth at all in Fontana..I get a scum line but that's pretty much it.. Every couple weeks we brush or sponge it. Turns out blistering is really more a freshwater phenomenon due to greater osmotic pressure gradients between the outside freshwater and the chemical salts created in the resins behind the gel coat.. That's the driving reason for putting on an epoxy barrier coat to keep water from passing through the pores of the gel coat. That's the root cause of the blistering.

I wish they offered lifts but this is kind of mountain redneck marina lol. I am lucky to have a covered slip there. I don't have plans to sell her anytime soon. maybe in a few years ,I don't know. I know the 228 is coveted on the used market so I have that going for me. Thanks for your input. Y'all are great.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1593486354646.jpg
#1, as mentioned, do what's best for your family and your wonderful kid. They say pictures are worth a thousand words - but he just LOOKS like he has a big heart! Besides, I bet Proud Papa wouldn't be sharing a picture if he didn't! :)

But... if it's fixed properly, there would be no reason to think that the blisters would come back. There's also no reason to think that more blisters will definitely show up. Thousands and thousands of boats are kept in the water with no paint and no blisters. Occasionally you get a few but they are typically isolated instances and easily repaired.

Dennis, you got a point. I crawled under the boat and the blisters are truly isolated to a small section about 6 inches wide and 18 inches long. No where else on the hull are there any signs. I will talk to the glass guy and get his vibe on it.

Kyle has an amazingily good soul. He is so kind and loves life. The boy loves the water like his dad. my other two kids like the boat but Kyle loves it..in the spring as soon as the days get to 70 he asks for his boat coat and the boat. As you can see, even on land Kyle loves the boat.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've owned bottom painted boats for years and they have lived on the trailer at my house. It's not a deal breaker. If you are keeping the boat in the water 6 months a year it's better for the boat, anyway.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You've made it this long with only a couple small blisters. I would think the cost to repair those is a lot lower than bottom painting. I would get them repaired and look into alternative products that will seal the hull better without using paint to prevent blisters.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had several boats develop blisters over the year. You have to expect a few with a hull the age or yours. They are no big deal and are easy to repair. If you find the in the bow area near the keel, they are likely the result of the gel coat getting compromised by small impacts, which are inevitable.

I would not get the hull painted since you only rarely use your boat in saltwater. It's not worth the expense and bothers. Just fix the blisters.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'd get it fixed and put a double coat of ceramic sealer/wax on it and see how that holds up. Paying particular attention to the waterline area. You might have to do it yearly, but it's not that hard or expensive. Good Luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'd get it fixed and put a double coat of ceramic sealer/wax on it and see how that holds up. Paying particular attention to the waterline area. You might have to do it yearly, but it's not that hard or expensive. Good Luck!

wspitler:

I thought of mentioned the ceramic coating, but I had my ceramic coated Marlin in Michigan all last summer in clean water,(colder than Fontana) and every 4 days a "film" that I could feel with my fingertips started to form.

I found no difference in the ceramic coat vs the bare hull as far as growth rate. The difference is that with the ceramic coating, it's much easier to remove.

I would go under with a snorkel and a sponge and other than being upside down in cold water, it was an easy removal job.

Smoke:

All positive input above. I will add this:

If trailering the boat and incurring the extra hassle at the ramps would cause you to boat less, then paint it. If you are sure you would spend the same time afloat with your son in either scenario, then avoid the hassle of painting, the corresponding upkeep and the (slight) performance hit you'll take.

alan campbell

Reaction score
View attachment 16290

This is my son Kyle. He is 22,blind and severely disabled. He had meningitis when he was 24 days old. Kyle LOVES boating. We keep the Grady on Fontana Lake for a few months a year.

This spring I discovered a small section of the bow near the keal where I have some small blisters. my bottom is not painted and no barrier coat. Kyle needs assistance to walk and the driving reason for keeping the boat in the water and on the lake is we can access the fuel dock at the marina to load and unload him. The ramp there is terrible .in fact most boat ramps here are not very good in terms of accessibility. So, we keep the boat in the water.

in a few weeks I am taking the boat to Charleston to get the bottom repaired . I am at a crossroads. A few of my friends here told me avoid painting the bottom . It can reduce the market for the boat because some folks don't want to buy a used boat with bottom paint.

If I don't bottom paint the boat I will be just throwing good money after bad if I don't put a barrier coat and bottom paint. it's not impossible to load and unload Kyle using ramps. it's just more difficult. So, is it the end of the world to barrier coat and bottom paint on 22 foot trailerable boat? Should I get her repaired and just trailer the boat to area lakes and not barrier coat and paint? I am trying to balance the needs of now versus maintaining marketability. I generally don't ask what would you do or buy kind of questions because I think those kinds of decisions ultimately are up to the preferences of the individual. I am torn here . I think I set up the situation fairly straightforward. what say you..paint or not to paint.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you could just paint the bottom with white or color matched epoxy paint. forget the "bottom paint"

I tried this once....white paint becomes gray and dingy in a hurry and winds up looking even worse.

Another thought - what's the rule on putting a lift in the slip? Jet Dock?

Reactions: VeroWing

alan campbell

Reaction score
Totally agree with doing whatever is easiest for your son. As an owner of a 24 Offshore that i trailer i can assure that there are many days that i would use the boat if it weren't on a trailer in my back yard. If the boat ramps are lousy where you are please do not consider trailering as it would ruin your boating fun with your son. Paint the dam bottom and do not worry about future resale, unless you plan to sell soon. As a life time saltwater boater it does have an impact on sales price but SO WHAT! Would recommend a darker bottom paint as it is less likely to show algae etc.
Good Luck
Alan Campbell
Vero Beach, FL

Reactions: SkunkBoat