what would you do?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I've owned bottom painted boats for years and they have lived on the trailer at my house. It's not a deal breaker. If you are keeping the boat in the water 6 months a year it's better for the boat, anyway.
Parthery, we typically launch in May before Memorial Day. Keep her in June. Then pull her out around the 4th. Prep for a trip to Florida. Spend two weeks ,three on lucky years ,there . Come home Wash boat ,get all the saltwater gear off. Float her in the lake through Labor Day. On the trailer from Labor Day Until next Memorial Day. She is in the water for 6 weeks ,out for 2,in salt water for 2 -3 ,out for 2 and back in the lake for a month . Out for 7 months. Rinse ,repeat and wash..lol.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I bet with all of his other senses being heightened, the sounds/vibrations/wind/noises... must be pretty exhilerating! My younger sister (40yrs) gradually started to go blind around age 10 and has been a couple decades, now. Earlier this year, while walking through some grass towards the cabin, I took her hand and said "let's run!". She was at first hesitant, not thinking she could do it. I just said "Nope - we're doing it!". She was laughing and gigling like a little school girl!

I absolutely don't think that you WON'T sell the boat with bottom paint on it, but you will limit your potential buyers. Some won't even call if they see bottom paint as the assumption (to them) is that it's been a saltie it's whole life. Right or wrong, it's the way it is. On the other hand, an un-painted boat that has seen primarily fresh water is more of a rarity and will command a higher price. In my opinion, with the way you are using the boat, I don't see a need to paint it.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bet with all of his other senses being heightened, the sounds/vibrations/wind/noises... must be pretty exhilerating! My younger sister (40yrs) gradually started to go blind around age 10 and has been a couple decades, now. Earlier this year, while walking through some grass towards the cabin, I took her hand and said "let's run!". She was at first hesitant, not thinking she could do it. I just said "Nope - we're doing it!". She was laughing and gigling like a little school girl!

I absolutely don't think that you WON'T sell the boat with bottom paint on it, but you will limit your potential buyers. Some won't even call if they see bottom paint as the assumption (to them) is that it's been a saltie it's whole life. Right or wrong, it's the way it is. On the other hand, an un-painted boat that has seen primarily fresh water is more of a rarity and will command a higher price. In my opinion, with the way you are using the boat, I don't see a need to paint it.
Keep us informed on your progress, my boat spent summers on lake keowee, I got some blister son keel,might haul to Charleston and get fixed also,don't feel need to paint bottom, she lives on trailer now, in meantime keep that young man on water as much as possible ,can't go as much as I'd like,maybe next year

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keep us informed on your progress, my boat spent summers on lake keowee, I got some blister son keel,might haul to Charleston and get fixed also,don't feel need to paint bottom, she lives on trailer now, in meantime keep that young man on water as much as possible ,can't go as much as I'd like,maybe next year

Mine gets dropped off in Charleston the end of October for some fiberglass work and complete buff and wax. Talked to them today making arrangements.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine gets dropped off in Charleston the end of October for some fiberglass work and complete buff and wax. Talked to them today making arrangements.
I'll be down there in two weeks, my kids want to cruise up the cooper river to santee and go thru the locks,ever done it?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll be down there in two weeks, my kids want to cruise up the cooper river to santee and go thru the locks,ever done it?

Many times, but from other direction. Stayed overnight on Shem Creek then went on down to Beaufort on the ICW. I've been fishing Santee for 30+ years. Guys trip is in 3 weeks, going down the 25th. The run down the river is pretty cool. Be careful around the sub base. A RIB with a 50 cal. mounted in the bow will come out to visit you if you linger too long or start taking pics or pull out the binoculars. Watch your charts up around Mepkin Abby as what looks like channel is really grass flats. Pay attention to the navigation markers. Pretty good no wake area around 2/3rd the way up after you go under a low RR bridge, it's a small neighborhood that I can't remember the name of.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Many times, but from other direction. Stayed overnight on Shem Creek then went on down to Beaufort on the ICW. I've been fishing Santee for 30+ years. Guys trip is in 3 weeks, going down the 25th. The run down the river is pretty cool. Be careful around the sub base. A RIB with a 50 cal. mounted in the bow will come out to visit you if you linger too long or start taking pics or pull out the binoculars. Watch your charts up around Mepkin Abby as what looks like channel is really grass flats. Pay attention to the navigation markers. Pretty good no wake area around 2/3rd the way up after you go under a low RR bridge, it's a small neighborhood that I can't remember the name of.
Awesome, sounds like a fun trip,I'm gonna start working on making it happen, this years getting away from me in a hurry, thanks

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since you are keeping boat, and easiest way for family is in water, I'd have current blisters repaired, and then keep an eye out when routine cleaning to see if they reappear. If they do, go ahead and properly paint bottom. I've owned six preowned Gradys, and three of them had painted bottoms. It's nice to buy a preowned boat that has no bottom paint, but a knowledgeable buyer will know that it isn't a "no sale" issue.

Reactions: Bloodweiser