What year is this Yamaha Outboard?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi guys I’m thinking of purchasing this used F250 from a private seller but we’re both unsure of the year.

The manufacturer date is unreadableZ

I’ve done searches but post 2005 it’s confusing.
Is the forward vent in the lower unit a clue? I haven't seen that on my earlier v6.

model number
F250TXR
62P X 1036015 C

photos included

Attachments

• IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9107.jpeg
    IMG_9107.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Older motors have the year coded on the sticker. It is the letter next to the letters LTD. In your case that code is a C and that is the code for a 1991 model year motor based on how I understand it for am older motor. The letters can be reused in later years. C could also be a 2012 model .
I thought that Yamaha stopped putting the motor year on the brackets several years ago and you had to have an authorized dealer look up the year based on serial number

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks KY. You always go above and beyond. My dealer said call Yamaha.

That’s good to me. I can’t find any information from Yamaha saying it’s been updated from 2005 to 2012 besides the exhaust issue I wonder what has changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky Grady

seasick

Reaction score
Had my dealer run the numbers. It's a 2011.
Ky, Do you know if the date your dealer got is the manufactured date or the model year date. Often the two can be different since a 'this year' hull could be rigged with a 'Last year' motor. My 208 is a 2001 hull physically built in 2000 with a 1999 engine. This kind of confusion is part of the reason that Yamaha stopped putting date tags on the motors.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky, Do you know if the date your dealer got is the manufactured date or the model year date. Often the two can be different since a 'this year' hull could be rigged with a 'Last year' motor. My 208 is a 2001 hull physically built in 2000 with a 1999 engine. This kind of confusion is part of the reason that Yamaha stopped putting date tags on the motors.
Didn't get that deep in with them. I just asked for the year of the motor since that's what PNW Drifter was looking for. For all intents and purposes, that's all you should need in order to source parts.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
PNW,, you'll enjoy the extra umph that the F250 will give you. A F250 on our 228's is really the ideal motor for them. It feels effortless when running the boat now, unlike the struggle I felt when running the F225. Good luck with the purchase if you go forward with it.

Reactions: tech_dog

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
PNW,, you'll enjoy the extra umph that the F250 will give you. An F250 on our 228's is really the ideal motor for them. It feels effortless when running the boat now, unlike the struggle I felt when running the F225. Good luck with the purchase if you go forward with it.
Thanks. You have the 4.2L. That lightweight with extra power. would be so nice. The seller says it's a 2012 but even he wasn't sure. It's the same engine from 2011 or 2012 as far as I can tell. Maybe the same going back as far as 2005 (first year of F250)? The only change maybe the exhaust fix? You'd think there are lots of small changes listed on wikipedia over the years but I can't find anything. Yamaha says all TXR's are the same.

Gotta love another risky used outboard purchase but I'm hopelessly addicted haha. My 20-year-old 225 looks newer than this one but it's supposedly rebuilt with little hours on it. I'll scan it and find out. Don't see much corrosion but there's a story for everything.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 3.3 F250 is like the old 289-302 Ford motor,,,, dependable and couldn't kill them.
Is there any way you can find out why it was rebuilt? 2011-2012 is a young motor to be rebuilt. I'd be curious. And I agree,,,there has to be a story behind it.

During my 2 year wait for my new 4.2, there were many times I considered buying a used 3.3, but I wasn't in a position of need for a new motor as my F225 was running fine and I had redone the exhaust and replaced a few other things when I purchased boat/motor back in '17. Mine was a case of wanting a new motor, the 225 was running great when I took it off. That being said, I have no regrets hanging the new F250 on my 2004 Seafarer. It's a sweet package.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Hi guys I’m thinking of purchasing this used F250 from a private seller but we’re both unsure of the year.

The manufacturer date is unreadableZ

I’ve done searches but post 2005 it’s confusing.
Is the forward vent in the lower unit a clue? I haven't seen that on my earlier v6.

model number
F250TXR
62P X 1036015 C

photos included
Maybe this will be helpful

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe this will be helpful
I saw that. It's not helpful in this case because the date sticker was totally missing and it's post 2005. KY solved it. Yamaha does repeat the letter codes but if you know 250's started in 2005 that was a clue, otherwise I thought it could have been a 2004 "C" code.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw that. It's not helpful in this case because the date sticker was totally missing and it's post 2005. KY solved it. Yamaha does repeat the letter codes but if you know 250's started in 2005 that was a clue, otherwise I thought it could have been a 2004 "C" code.
I did ask about the "C" below the serial number and they said it has no bearing on the age. It's all in the serial numbers now after 2005.

Just called and talked with my dealer again about this motor. Only past issues that are showing up on Yamaha warranty side was a lower unit replaced in '14 and a starter motor replaced in '15. After that, nothing on record warranty wise.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did ask about the "C" below the serial number and they said it has no bearing on the age. It's all in the serial numbers now after 2005.

Just called and talked with my dealer again about this motor. Only past issues that are showing up on Yamaha warranty side was a lower unit replaced in '14 and a starter motor replaced in '15. After that, nothing on record warranty wise.
Oh interesting. Thanks for checking KY!

That's interesting the dealer keeps track of maintenance, I had no idea Yamaha did. Similar to Toyota, you can type in a VIN and they'll tell you the history online for free.

Based on the info you posted above and how this outboard got into this rebuilder's hands I am expecting high hours. Worn out a lower unit? I put down a deposit on it and saw it run and has new pistons but without scanning it I won't know. There's no documentation on the rebuild so I'm just going to base the condition off of compression and hours after I scan it. I have the YDS software. Hoping for under 1000.

BTW I found a Yamaha F250 years ago with 2500 hours and it ran fine, the big problem with it was lower unit was seized on and even shop couldn't remove. Didn't even burn oil. Ended up selling it on and it went down to mexico.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While it is good that Yamaha keeps a data base of dealer maintenance work done on a motor, it's a shame that they can tell you that the starter was replaced, but can't, or won't, tell you if the motor has been stolen. Outboard manufacturers could put a huge dent in these stolen motor rings, if every time a stolen motor was connected to a computer, or it's serial #s were entered, it came up as stolen.
Garmin, and the other E companies could do the same.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While it is good that Yamaha keeps a data base of dealer maintenance work done on a motor, it's a shame that they can tell you that the starter was replaced, but can't, or won't, tell you if the motor has been stolen. Outboard manufacturers could put a huge dent in these stolen motor rings, if every time a stolen motor was connected to a computer, or it's serial #s were entered, it came up as stolen.
I used to be a 911 call taker and police dispatcher for the county that I live in, which has almost a million people in it, and did that for over 5 years total. My thoughts on the matter would be that Yamaha or the other manufacturers likely don't want the liability of verifying, entering, updating and/or deleting that information in a system and I'm sure they trust their local law enforcement to do their jobs instead. I can't tell you the number of times over the years when doing that job that someone called in to report something stolen and had no information to go off of. Anything from a bicycle to stolen tools, license plates, vehicles and anything else... people calling in rarely ever had a serial number to give the call taker and ultimately the officer/dispatcher so they could enter it into the system as being stolen. Most of the time people had to try and find an old vehicle registration, title or call up their insurance company just to get their license plate or VIN information to be able to give to the dispatcher or officer. I imagine the same would be true with someone calling up Yamaha to report their outboard stolen and not have the serial number or anything else to go off of. On top of that, there were countless times over the years where the dispatchers or someone along the line would enter the incorrect information on the stolen item. For example, the VIN or serial number would be incorrectly entered and an officer/deputy would be out with a "stolen vehicle" with their guns drawn on a vehicle that wasn't in fact stolen. The opposite can also be said a vehicle that is actually stolen that wasn't reported or was reported incorrectly, which was an extremely serious officer safety issue. Finally, you'd also have dispatchers or other agencies data employees who would forget to take the vehicle or item out of stolen status and it would still show up as stolen even though it should've been cleared. Long story short, Yamaha or the other outboard manufacturers can't physically come out and verify the stolen information, nor do I imagine that they want to be responsible for entering/deleting/updating it in a database. So instead, they'll trust the local law enforcement to do their jobs and not be held liable for given false or inaccurate information. Which is completely understandable as I wouldn't want the liability of anything legal like that either if I were them.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree 100%