What's a fair price?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
magicalbill said:
Interesting reading..
Chris, are you trading or selling your Tournament?? You haven't had it long...
Not really sure if I'm doing anything or not. I'm sure I would have to sell the Tournament in order to get anything near what it's worth. I love the 225 and the Sailfish is probably out of my league. It would change the whole way I boat. My truck isn't capable of towing it, I would have to find to find a slip. I would have to keep it in Louisville as opposed to Cumberland and from what I gather from everyone's posts, I'm not willing to pay $100K for a soon to be three year old Sailfish even if it is new. The dealer is the one who bears the risk now. If I pay much more than what a used 2007 sells for then I have taken the loss instead of the dealer. And right now the risk is all his. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the way I look at it.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I see it that way too, Chris. Buying brand new with full warranties certainly adds some value, but the minute you take delivery, it is still a 2007 used boat, with low hours and some warranty. That may still make it one of the more desireable boats, if you were going to sell it again, but it's still being seen as another used '07.

Check the sites that show what 'used 07's or '08's actually sold for (as opposed to asking prices), and then go from there. If you don't want to drop that kind of money for a new boat, there are some beautiful used ones, reasonable hours, and decent electronics, for way less.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this thread. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he gave me a price of $120k on the boat which had an MSRP of $164553. I explained my position to him and said I was not interested at that number. We are still talking and he is seeing if maybe we can work out some kind of trade for my '08 225. Maybe he'd rather have that boat as opposed to the '07 Sailfish. I don't know what his cost is on this boat but I would guess it's somewhere between 60-65% of MSRP. Anyway I'll keep you all posted and I appreciate all your advice, comments, and opinions!

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You didn't say where the boat is that your looking at. If it's local to you then disregard this post but if it has to be shipped then give Port Of Egypt Marine a call. In Southold, Long Island,NY They have a brand new 282 sitting out front as well. I don't know the price but it's worth a call. Just search for Port of Egypt marine and the number will pop up.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
This guy

armauro said:
For a comparison I am selling or trying to a 2006 with 200hps 4 strokes with excellent electronics and ONLY 22 HOURS on motors and all other options except AC for 80K.

This guy isnt selling anything! I had 2 deals with him and he backed out 2X even after I had a survey done and plane tickets purchased as well as a hauler lined up! He had a 10 percent deposit as well which I had to stop payment on. And he said how easy it was to do business with him hahahahaa what a joke. Dont buy this boat if you ever see it!

SlimJim

Reaction score
Re: This guy

Grady282owner said:
armauro said:
For a comparison I am selling or trying to a 2006 with 200hps 4 strokes with excellent electronics and ONLY 22 HOURS on motors and all other options except AC for 80K.

This guy isnt selling anything! I had 2 deals with him and he backed out 2X even after I had a survey done and plane tickets purchased as well as a hauler lined up! He had a 10 percent deposit as well which I had to stop payment on. And he said how easy it was to do business with him hahahahaa what a joke. Dont buy this boat if you ever see it!
WOW. THAT SUCKS!

Currituck

Reaction score
armauro said:
The only buyers I have seen are...people with 10k and think they can finance the balance in this economy.

Since that describes me I have to ask. I just financed a house for $260k at a little over 5%. Why won't the same bank (or my credit union) finance a $40k-50k boat with $10k down?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: This guy

Grady282owner said:
armauro said:

Thanks for the heads up, but I've given up on the idea for the time being. Too many changes would be required in how we boat if I got a Sailfish. I have always kept my boats on trailers and towed them between home and Cumberland. That would be too big a chore for me with a Sailfish and my current 1/2 ton 4X4. Plus the dealer didn't really seem too anxious to really deal on the 2007 Sailfish. To me it would just be a three yr old used boat with very low hours. He didn't really want to hear that. The risk at this point is all his and I plan to keep it that way for now.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
capt chris said:
>snip
I don't know what his cost is on this boat but I would guess it's somewhere between 60-65% of MSRP.
>snip

I was gonna say, he probably bought the boat from a failed dealer, or a flooring bank, or whatever, at about 40% off MSRP. If that's the case they have about $96K in it. Add 10% for profit and that would probably buy it.

If the boat hasn't sat out the whole time and is still like new, that would be an added value or more desirable to me. A used boat is a used boat, not a new boat! :wink:

Gee, wish I could buy a new Sailfish!