whats it worth???

dale1

Reaction score
Below is a 2002, 265 express with 2002, f225s, with 565 hours. What's it worth?

I've been shopping for a grady about 6 months. I don't have large budget. I like the idea of the 265 because we trailer a lot.
I found this one at a broker in FL. its a hurricane sandy boat. it was totaled. water entered the hull, but did not sink fully.
it has been repaired and looks good to the eye. I paid a surveyor, and he could not find measurable moisture etc. the dash is doing some weird stuff. bow lights don't work. Could not sea trail her. they did start the motors for me at $150. they sounded good.
I can do my own repairs to most things.

whats it worth? thanks, dale :hmm

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Re: whats it worth

the dash is doing some weird stuff. bow lights don't work. Could not sea trail her. they did start the motors for me at $150. they sounded good.
The boat took a dip in salt water, it is reasonable to assume all of the wiring and electrical whatever will need replacing right away or will develop gremlins as you said doing weird stuff.
Let me get this right, you had to pay them $150 to prove the motors would start? A motor can sound pretty good on the muffs and then in the water when a load is put on it you may see it have problems. I'm not saying to pass on it but do your homework. Hey the survey showed the hull was dry and thats a biggie. You have to assume though your in for a lot of work and everything else may need to be redone. Time and money. Figure out what that is and then factor that in when you strike a deal.
Good luck with it.
Mike.

dale1

Reaction score
Re: whats it worth

thanks mike, could you see the hull damages? I don't know how to make them smaller?

Yea, at national liquidators it costs 75 each motor to start them.

what is a 2002 265 express with 2002 f225s with 565 hours worth? after taking on this much damage? thanks

Brigator

Reaction score
Run! By the time you repair everything you will have built the boat. As someone once said, "Even a free boat can cost too much". Not too old Gradys are not that expensive. Check out some used ones. Just my two cents

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Look elsewhere, I wouldn't touch this boat. I'm sure you will find plenty 265's for sale that haven't been under.
I wouldn't buy it at any price to keep.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
RUN!

Repairs may look good but not hold up
The sides may be cored, were they checked?
Wiring is shot
gremlins will be there FOREVER

you can't afford this boat

dale1

Reaction score
It has to have a value? especially with know damages. I know the entire history:) Ive talked with the org owner. it was serviced reguarly by a grady dealer. and the motors checked good for corrision. I just wonder what she is worth? if it wasnt a grady, i wouldnt be concidering her.

Cloudnine9

Reaction score
Don't forget about exhaust corrosion issue with those motors. I have an 05' 265express w/ f225's. I did the repair this spring for $6000. If that work hasn't been done yet you need to figure it in. With 565hrs you are over due.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
BOAT * definition - A hole in the water you pour money through.
Some holes are bigger than others. :wink:

I read again that you are on a budget. That could include money and/or time. Pay someone to get this boat right and at $90 an hour it'll be rough.
I do a lot of work myself and it does come out as nice or better than a shop would do but there is drawback. A pro would get the job done a lot quicker than me. That's a trade off in time that I'm good with. You've got to ask yourself, how anxious are you to get out on the water?
If you have the time, patience and moderate know how it can be quite satisfying. As I said all of the electrical work has to be replaced, not repaired, replaced unless as everyone has pointed out it will be a never ending headache.
I wouldn't expect too much from motors that have been dipped. If you got a full season without a major problem I'd consider myself lucky.
I'd say buy this boat for the hull, what is just that worth? (I can't answer that sorry)
To me temporary motors that will run till you could re-power are worth what? $2500?

I wonder what National liquidators has into this boat. :hmm
Bet it isn't much. Insurance company's were overwhelmed with the damage Sandy caused as I lost my own boat. They didn't put up much fight when paying out on a claim too many and no time they just cut their losses and moved on. Liqudators payed next to nothing for the thousands of boats Sandy claimed. Play hard ball with them, bet you can beat them down some.

* Thought I'd share my own personal project time estimate to reality calculation formula.
It goes like this... I can do that, should take 3 days (reality 3 weeks), oh that I can get done in 3 weeks tops (reality 3 months), and so it goes.

Oh and the project cost calculator has a similar ring. :wink:

Here's my Sandy boat. Figured if I weighted down the boat it wouldn't blow away...worked like a charm!
Oh well, it gave me an excuse to get my first Grady. :D
DSCN5799_zpsf50ca5ac.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
$8 to me....
It will slowly take from you what it is worth over the first 3 years.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With a 9'7" beam, probably not a good trailer boat to buy. That being said, that boat in real nice shape, low hour f225s with no issues, good electronics, trailer, etc., would likely be around 40-50ish in current market. If those outboards have been dunked in saltwater, their value has been greatly reduced, and combining that fact with diminished value to wiring electronics, plus hull damage, I would guestimate from info you have provided that value is around 25-35% of the nice condition value. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind too that, forward lower hull damage on that boat is in critical stress area, and in my opinion, would be very difficult to restore to original strength. Are you confident enough to be out in the Atlantic in 5-10'+ pounding waves in that boat doing the repairs yourself?

Wally World

Reaction score
If you say your are on a budget, why would you consider a boat that is full of expensive unknowns? I lost my boat to Sandy (33 Proline) got it back and it didn't look bad until we went underneath. It took water which means an immediate rebuild to all electric. The Electric estimate was $40,000 alone. See ya later. My opinion is that you should run. There are plenty of other boats in the sea. The boat will never be right. The electric possibilities alone would scare me. Forget the cost, what about the safety and integrity of the systems? I wouldn't put my kids on it if you paid me. "Like putting lipstick on a pig".
Hope this helps.

gw204

Reaction score
I would give them any more than what you could think you could part it out for when it turns out to be a turd...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
can't add much more to what has been said, but you should also factor in the cost of salvage/removal when it sinks. you will most likely be held responsible and if you did not inform the insurance company regarding the extent of the original damage, they may deny a claim. good luck, ron

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
That's a financial disaster waiting to happen.......... :jaw run like hell !!!!

Can it be fixed? of course it can.
If you have unlimited funds and need a project . That boat will take thousands and thousands of dollars to get seaworthy again. The damage on the port stern not so bad , the bow = dealbreaker. As mentioned above that is a high stress area and would need to be fixed by a PROFFESSIONAL fiberglass person.
This reminds me of the Mako on the hull truth that had been "fixed" in the bow area. guy almost sank about twenty five miles out due to bow separating. :wow

mboyatt

Reaction score
I guess it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I searched last night and found several east coast boats of that same vintage and setup for 26 to 30k. I would have to agree with all of the posts here. Why throw good money at a bad situation? That bow damage is severe. More likely than not, you will be chasing down gremlins for years to come. If you are in for that much of an adventure/risk, I would suggest not paying more than 9k for that rig. You will dump a ton of money to get it right. I think that goes without saying. You will have over invested by the time you get her done right. Good luck! If you get her, please post the restoration . That will shut all of us up!!

billyttpd

Reaction score
I agree with many of the above comments..Up here in Jersey Ive seen 2001 2002 Express 265 with an asking price around 39000. One of them has only 350 hours on 200 HPDIs. looking at those photos all I could think is that is a BIG hole in that boat plus its been under. You want to enjoy your boat not deal with gremlins and repairs everytime your underway.
If you wanted to buy it 5000 Max

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Agreed to all previous posts, I would not buy this boat.

But if you really are good a DIY work (major work), I'd say 5000-7500 tops.

If you have a 3/4 ton, you're good to go on trailering, but don't skimp on that one, get a triaxle, that's what I have and have no issues towing mine 500 miles all the time.