What's on your list for winter projects?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just curious as to what others have on their lists for winter projects with their boats, and even their other toys? I think before this spring/summer I'm going to upgrade some of the lights on my boat to LED such as maybe some of the navigation/walkaround lights and so forth. What do you have planned?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hoping to add a 7" or 9" MFD and possibly integrate a few things better (VHF, FLIR, etc.).

Adding a high water alarm.

Adding a life raft (Superior Halo Life Raft) https://www.landfallnavigation.com/superior-halo-life-raft.html

Adding a formal ditch bag & EPIRB

Making some custom canvas protectors for the gunnels.

Going to make, modify or have made a custom cutting board for cleaning fish over the transom fish box.

Going make a custom canvas pocket for the throw cushion.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
My plans are to replace the impeller, bilge pump, and starter. Replace my electronics with Raymarine element 9, have upholstery redone and bottom paint. Probably start in March when it gets a little warmer going back in April 1st

Last edited:

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Replaced main engines last year, so that major project/expense is done. Also, replaced most Eisenglass with Lexan. Just replaced the original washdown and freshwater pumps - they we're working, but 20 years is long enough! Now the AC/Heating acting up (20 years trouble free) so that's next on the list. Inspecting all hoses and tightening all clamps. So far, Kohler generator working fine with annual oil changes and periodic water pump repairs. I continue to regularly fresh-water rinse fuel tanks - so far, no signs of external corrosion or leaking.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Biggest thing for me, is the boat goes in on Monday for a repower. New MFD's are mounted, just need to finsh up wiring/etc. Done a bit of detailing on it, but still have more to do. I've also been looking into LED lighting.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just finishing up this project started in December. 1985 Sylvan 16 that we've owned since '88. First boat. The original "SkunkBoat".
This boat has been from Canada border to Sambo Reef off Key West.

This is the second time replacing main deck. Third paint job.
The Tohatsu 40 finally gave out. We are mostly going to use it in NJ so 9.9 hp is the way to go as there are only 2 lakes that allow higher. Many are electric only.

So complete gut of wood and re-deck with plywood and pop rivets. Rebuilt platforms and console.
I built a new transom board sandwich of 2 layers of plywood with glass between and on all sides.
Paint. Carpet. New motorguide xi3 with gps "spotlock". new Zuke DF9.9BTL4 with controls.
New steering. New wiring. New EchoMap 73sv.
The only thing that isn't new is the 10 or 15 year old Rule 360 bilge pump:mad:. I kept saying "before I wire this all nice & neat, are you sure you don't want to get a new 500?"
I will post the "I told you so" moment when it happens....

Now we have to buy all new fishing gear to catch Lake Trout in Round Valley.
My brother says we'll be grouper fishing in the Keys;)

qViFDXLl.jpg
x1BoYBml.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the cockput scuppers and lines before she goes in. Getting her ready for a new port and on a mooring in Boston Harbor yacht club to start along with dinghy and servicing a 1974 Evinrude 4hp that I'm putting back into service (bought it new as a kid) for my tender.

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought a 2000 marlin with 2016 250 HP engines on it with the intent of putting those engines on my 283 release. I’m now considering keeping the marlin and selling my 2005 283 release

Fishtales

Reaction score
I bought a 2000 marlin with 2016 250 HP engines on it with the intent of putting those engines on my 283 release. I’m now considering keeping the marlin and selling my 2005 283 release
Tough decision there, both are nice boats.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No pictures of the boat?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the Release tricked out to be a great fishing machine but the Marlin offers additional options but would need some time and money investment to get it to the same point
I'm admittedly biased towards the walkaround boats as I have a 228 Seafarer and everything out here are WA's, but I think the Marlin would be the better option as well. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing...

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Im having some chrome on my chris craft redone

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I saw your motors on THT Bill. Good luck with sale, they should sell quickly.
Thanks for your good wishes. It isn't like the old days. Repowering is like an Easter egg hunt in January. There's nothing out there. If you do find something, you have to fight the other kids to get it.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Repowering my 2001 192 from its original 2 stroke 150 to a Tohatsu 140 4 stroke. The motor just arrived at the shop so I should be good to go for the Spring. Other than that just replacing the transducer, bottom paint, etc. Can't wait to see how the re-power turns out.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have the Release tricked out to be a great fishing machine but the Marlin offers additional options but would need some time and money investment to get it to the same point
heheh so it begins... That Marlin will have you blowing past breaking bass on your way to overnighting in Wilmington canyon. You need some 80Ws for bigeye....

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just curious as to what others have on their lists for winter projects with their boats, and even their other toys? I think before this spring/summer I'm going to upgrade some of the lights on my boat to LED such as maybe some of the navigation/walkaround lights and so forth. What do you have planned?
Auto pilot. I was going to put in power steering but in the process of tying my kicker to the main engine, I discovered that the nut on top of the bolt that connects the engine tang to the seastar was over tightened. Loosened it and my steering is fine.

Looking forward to autopilot.