What's on your list for winter projects?

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Winter-Spring:
Install new stainless cockpit drains
Replace cockpit trim
Tidy up recent electronics Installations
Upgrade Spreader lights to Grady LED red/white.
Install new TeleStar Helm & Steering Cylinder w/ stainless trolling motor connect rod
Paint New Lower Unit after another 20-30hrs of running to complete break-in & a couple of offshore runs.
Install pair of Grady rod holders behind cockpit aft seat
Have local shop fabricate new stainless rub rail end caps to match existing size-shape

Summer:
Install new factory rub rail
Prep and spray fresh gel coating on hard top

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Winter-Spring:
Install new stainless cockpit drains
Replace cockpit trim
Tidy up recent electronics Installations
Upgrade Spreader lights to Grady LED red/white.
Install new TeleStar Helm & Steering Cylinder w/ stainless trolling motor connect rod
Paint New Lower Unit after another 20-30hrs of running to complete break-in & a couple of offshore runs.
Install pair of Grady rod holders behind cockpit aft seat
Have local shop fabricate new stainless rub rail end caps to match existing size-shape

Summer:
Install new factory rub rail
Prep and spray fresh gel coating on hard top

Which Grady led red/white spreader lights and where are you sourcing them?
I’d like to do the same.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
A little update: Garmin auto pilot installed, works great. I'm flip flopping on power steering. I was going to do it, but was working on connecting my kicker to the main engine and had to decouple the seastar from the main engine. Found that the nut connecting them was too tight, got that right and the main engine, out of the water, turned like it was on power steering. So I told the guys no power steering.

Did the sea trial yesterday and the engine is stiff again. Part of that, I _think_, is pushing fluid through the auto pilot (can anyone offer an opinion on that?) and the other part is it seems harder to steer when under way (which is weird, I remember it being easier to steer under way before these changes). It's still easy to steer while docking so maybe being under way does something.

I put in the Grid 20 thinking that the arrow keys on it ran the auto pilot. They don't, they switch which screen the grid is controlling. That thing is pretty useless for auto pilot, you have to get the auto pilot tool bar on the screen, then rotate the knob to highlight the auto pilot,
push to select, rotate to get to 1 degree left, 10 left, 1 right, 10 right, then push. It's sort of useless. There is a way to get to a mode that makes the knob go left or right but the reality is you are far better off to get to "Hold heading" and adjust with the wheel and it will go in the new direction. Or run a split screen with charts and auto pilot app. I'm gonna get the auto pilot remote.

I need to run it some more and play with things, I'll get there, it's a process.

One project that is an unqualified success is I replaced my entire braking system on my trailer (hoses, calipers, rotors, hubs, bearings, pads, everything) in a conversion from surge to electric over hydraulic. No need to do this if you run in the flats, but I go from 1800 feet to sea level and electric over hydraulic is the only way to go.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
" Part of that, I _think_, is pushing fluid through the auto pilot (can anyone offer an opinion on that?)" ....NO, its not from pushing fluid thru the AP.

What knob? On what screen?
idk what you are saying...

"Grid 20"??? You mean GHC20? This will control the AP with the left /right buttons if you have the AP "Engaged".
It works perfectly for everybody else.
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 4.28.56 PM.png

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Catch a sailfish!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the Release tricked out to be a great fishing machine but the Marlin offers additional options but would need some time and money investment to get it to the same point

I'm somewhat biased myself towards the Marlin. I'd be up to my elbows right now tweaking the Marlin for duty as the replacement for the Release. They both have their place, but I'd go for the Marlin. Creature comforts and fishability, win win.

Petekaplan20

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I sent my old, worn out enclosure down to A&J Canvas so they can make me new ones. Waiting for them to come back!

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't have any major projects planned for this spring. Just a few more simple things:

1. Connecting 2006 Yamaha 250s to Garmin MFDs
2. Install hot water to transom shower
3. Pull and re-seal vents on exterior of hull
4. Install high-water alarms in rear and forward bilge

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Repower by steps

Step 1. Obtain engines. Check

Step 2. Sell old engines and rigging. Check.

Step 3. Remove engines and rigging. Pending

Attachments

• ACBB6918-78D6-477E-A834-F751DD49923A.jpeg
    ACBB6918-78D6-477E-A834-F751DD49923A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
2004 180 Sportsman w/Honda 150
  1. Install second battery and smart switch.
  2. Install raw water washdown.
  3. Under helm seat tackle storage.
  4. Remove dash speedometer (pitot) and replace with compass, allowing me to remove original compass to make room to
  5. Install 2nd Garmin chartplotter and transducer.
  6. New VHF.
  7. Time for a coat of bottom paint.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Repower by steps

Step 1. Obtain engines. Check

Step 2. Sell old engines and rigging. Check.

Step 3. Remove engines and rigging. Pending
Be sure to post some pictures when you get them rigged and installed!

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Well, this was a great experience. Found engines on Martha’s Vineyard, brought them to the Cape, removed the old engines, did a little transom clean-up,97A2A49D-742C-4B7C-8DE6-4218C29A452B.jpeg and helped my tech with the installation. Sold the old engines to another Grady owner and we are now finishing with a few nice updates to the boat such as a new Bennett trim tab controller, new Fusion radio and remote, a new macerate for the discharge system and a couple of new batteries.

CBC740E0-A374-4F5F-B92F-B70CEAE1B1F4.jpeg3E4386A8-D913-4DA5-82B7-9D9A667C5967.jpegB8C764FC-481C-4506-ADD7-B9CFD5E03537.jpeg

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Had trouble with some of the pictures, but hopefully you get the idea. The console all looks new with new ignition, start buttons, control and new Lexan mounting plates.

I decided this was a better route to take than a later model Grady. Used boat prices are still pretty high.