what's the bare minimum power for a '93 Gulfstream ?

billfish33

Reaction score
Hello:

we have a chance to get an older but in decent shape Gulfstream,with hardtop,as well as a few other add-ons !
But the boat is only offered without power, but is setup for dual outboards
Not needing to be the fastest boat or even close to it...
What is the bare minimum power I can get away with ?

thanks,
Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome to the site!

I pesume you are talking new 4 stroke HP?

The Gulfstream guys here like the F150s.

I'm sure they will respond.

SlimJim

Reaction score
I have talked to a few owners of that model and all have told me twins are the wa to go and that min is 150hp. 175hp is best. One owner wo had twin 175 hp engines toldme he would not want less then 175hp. But if you don't want top speed sounds like th 150ies would work well for you. Its a wide boat forthe size.

billfish33

Reaction score
Guy's thanks,

If we get this hull
We'll be looking into a used set due to cost,

thanks again
Bill

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The SV2 hulls are the upgraded design that Grady implemented in 1992.Better, drier ride, etc.
I usually am touting max power on these boats for engine longevity, higher cruise speed, etc.
Do not base your decision on top speed.
here's why..
Grady White hulls are not built for max speed anyway. I have twin 200's(4-strokes) on my 2007 Gulfstream. It hits the South Side of 49 MPH wide open..So What?? I never go there, unless I'm outrunning a storm or something.
The main advantage of big power is the mid-range accellaration, and the extra oomph to get it on plane with heavy loads. It is also nice to have the power while negotiating heavy seas. Twins are a must, I think.
Anyway, with that said, the minimum power I would use are twin 150's.

billfish33

Reaction score
got it !

a '93 would have to have the upgraded hull...right ?

And were not sure were going to put in an offer on it as there are allot of small things that need fixing {rewiring,and small glass work,pumps and switches}, and 1 big thing that has us worried {transom crack}.

but if the price is right we will pull the trigger,and get the large problem taken care of while doing everything else ourselves...

SlimJim

Reaction score
billfish33 said:
got it !

a '93 would have to have the upgraded hull...right ?

And were not sure were going to put in an offer on it as there are allot of small things that need fixing {rewiring,and small glass work,pumps and switches}, and 1 big thing that has us worried {transom crack}.

but if the price is right we will pull the trigger,and get the large problem taken care of while doing everything else ourselves...
Transom crack? o my, I hope the price is good as the transom crack might cost more then the boat is worth. Be careful. Could cost more then its worth if you have to also add power. Too many good deals out there.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
300HP total will get the job done and single power works great as well on this hull.

billfish33

Reaction score
Well,
It looks like were buying this '93 Hull !!

I know going in there is a small crack in the transom skin on both inner/outer glass...
we have enough room in the price if we have to get it fully restored,we would be OK

I'll be looking for a good "used set" of Yamaha 150's -200's ? over the course of the winter {not too old" !!
Wish us Well !

Thanks,
Bill

Jas

Reaction score
I’m into my third season with my new to me 1997 Gulfstream and a 250 Yamaha, and love the boat. The Gulfstream is an awesome boat and almost certainly the largest 23’ on the market. With a 9.3 beam it is a great comfortable fishing platform, and perfect for picnicking with the family. With a bow pulpit and engine bracket it is closer to 27’.

As others have said it is optimally outfitted for twin engines, 150, 175 whatever… and absolute minimum HP is 250, IMHO. With that said, there are others that seem to be happy with their 225 HP and some others have repowered with single 300 or 350. With my single Yamaha 250 I am not the fastest boat on the pond, but she jumps to plane easy enough and at WOT will go about 27-28 MPH at 5200 RPM.

Best of luck with the new boat, be sure to check the plastic through hull fittings. I had mine replaced this spring, they look great and now my bilge remains dry as a bone.

Workdog

Reaction score
I had twin 175s on my boat, and upgraded to twin 150 Merc EFIs in 2005. With the 175s (1989 model carb engines), the boat topped out at 40 mph. With the 150s I get 46 mph. To me, 150 2-strokes are great power. They say, if the 150s/175s/200s have the same block size, the lower hp motor will have better hole shot because of the lower unit gearing. Like someone above, I almost never go WOT.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They have the same gearing but the 175's and 200's are tuned to make more power at the sacrifice of a little bottom end.

billfish33

Reaction score
fiberglass repair shop ?

We WILL be picking up this Hull next week !!

But does anyone know where we can take this Hull {TRANSOM} to get looked at and repaired ? were picking up the boat in NJ,and taking it back to NY.

Is there a place in between that does this type of work ? {the right way} ?? or a place close by ?

Thanks
Billy

Bokat

Reaction score
Billfish,

I have just a little info to add on your power question. I have a 93' 230 Gulfstream, that model has the notched transom. It came with twin 140 Johnson 2 stroke motors. I repowered with twin 2003 175 Evinrude DFI's. A friend of mine has a 94' Gulfstream that came with 2 stroke 175 Evinrudes. His boat has the full transom. He repowered with twin F150's. He loves his motors, I love my motors. I get about 1.8 - 2.0 mpg depending on the load. I don't know what his mileage is.

My boat ran OK with the 140's but I always felt a little under powered, however, I ran my boat from Stuart, FL to Walkers Cay, lost a cyclinder while there, and ran back with the bad cyclinder and it did OK. The point of all this is you will be fine with anything between 280 hp and 350 hp. I felt better having the redundancy of twins because I find myself far offshore routinely. One word of caution, the max hp rating on your boat is 350 hp so I wouldn't put twin 200's on it.

If I was repowering again I would probably upgrade to 4 stroke power, either twin F150's or a single F350, depending on how you plan to use your boat. I hope this helps. Sorry I can't be of any help on the fiberglass repair. You will love this boat once you get it right.

billfish33

Reaction score
guy's thanks for all the input !
I'm very excited about this boat,I'm going partners on it with a Buddy of mine,and were hoping big-time the transom won't be that bad so we can get the outboard/outboards that much sooner !

The boat will be on it's trailer in Rockland,NY until we can find a good place to take it in for the transom !,we wouldn't be able to afford power until several months down the road {most likely ?}

I called a place up in Norwalk {New England Fiberglass Repair}, and we may give them a try ? a place in NJ would be best as we could take it directly there,then the ride to Rockland wouldn't be that bad !!

were probably going to go with a single O/B at least a 250,and more than likely used.

thanks again !
Bill

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know if this helps you at all but Jimmys Marine Service in Cape May, NJ is supposed to do great work. Jimmy is a character and a half and has managed to get himself banned from this site as well as others due to his manner. Several people on this board and someone I know personally have had work done by him.

Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bokat, I don't think Grady would OK the F350 on your transom, it's too heavy. Not an HP issue.
If I had to do it, I would double plate both sides of transom with 1/4 inch stainless steel plate.

If the time comes, consider a 300 suzie if you want a single 4 stroke, but re-rigging costs may make it unattractive to convert to Suzie, but instead stay with the F150s.

A best single deal may be a 250/300 HPDI left over, if you can find one, with full 5 yr extended warranty. It is not overweight, like the F350.