What's the best caulk to use for mounting a new transducer on a Grady

rlefevre

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's the best caulk to use for mounting a new transducer on a Grady

seasick

Reaction score
Is it a thru hull transducer or a transom mount?

seasick

Reaction score
Just put some caulk or sealant that is OK for use below the water line into the holes and on the screws themselves. You do not need to or want to apply sealant to the bracket. 4200 is fine, you will be able to remove the screws later if needed.
Note that many silicone caulks are not intended for below the water line, read the label.

Reactions: Halfhitch

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's no such thing as "best" sealant to use here. Personal preferences will vary, though.

For me, I use, almost exclusively, the Boat Life products - Life Seal for most things and Life Caulk for something where some strength is needed. They are excellent products and will even cure in the presence of water. It makes it easy to only have to pick from 2 products - and that's been my go to stuff for over 15 years, now.

4200 would be fine, though.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I would not drill holes. I would use a product similar to stern mate. It glues onto your transom and is easily adjustable for tilt and height. I put one on my 330 and it works great. Had one on my scout for years. Check out the stern mate website for lots of good tips, I am not associated with him in any way.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would 4200 a block to the transom and screw into the block. They sell them or you can make one out of composite material.

grunt

Reaction score
I always use tremco tape sealant...stays pliable all the time...no mess
Used it on pre-engineered steel building standing seam roofs since they invented it
Never leaks ever