What's the Best Way to Sell a Grady?

christo15

Reaction score
I have my 1993 Grady White Gulfstream up for sale for $18,300 which I think is a reasonable price and have barely gotten any hits. It's been nearly three weeks. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if you have any suggestions. I even have it listed on this site.

Thanks! Let me know asap!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well there are couple things going on if you had not noticed ;-). We are still in a recession and the uncertainty of the economy looms out there. It is still winter time and folks are not thinking about boating once you go north of Florida. I am not in the market for a Gulfy so I can not comment on the price other than on the surface it seems fair. Good luck and perhaps March will bring you some bites!

Bill_N

Reaction score
Where else do you have it listed? You may want to list it with Bob at Anglers Edge. For a flat fee he'll put it on a lot of websites that should get you some hits.

christo15

Reaction score
I have to boat listed on eBay, Craigslist, and this site, and I've really only gotten one person to come look at it and they didn't even consider it. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to mention it over on the Hulltruth and the Reel Boating forums, as well as considering Boattrader ad.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All good advice you got here. You didn't mention where you are located, but if it is in an area where the boating season is basically over until Spring, it will take longer, and sell lower, than when the warmer weather rolls around. Without knowing specifics, your price seems about right to maybe somewhat low. Give it time. We only have a couple more months.

christo15

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys! People continue to say they aren't sure they want to buy it because of the age of the motor (1999 osx66) when in reality it runs perfectly and hasn't had a single problem.

Would posting a video on youtube of the boat in its entirety do anything to help? Let me know! Thanks.

GulfSea

Reaction score
christo15 said:
Thanks so much guys! People continue to say they aren't sure they want to buy it because of the age of the motor (1999 osx66) when in reality it runs perfectly and hasn't had a single problem.

Would posting a video on youtube of the boat in its entirety do anything to help? Let me know! Thanks.

I shopped very hard for my boat from late 2009 till' finally finding it in late 2010. 95% of people do not post enough pictures nor the right pictures. That's one place to start. The slam dunk method was a youtube video. There was an older, twin engine Grady where the owner did an outstanding job of marketing. It was done so well that even though it was not a boat I wanted, I found myself going back to look at it over and over.

The engines were older but that wouldn't have mattered to someone looking for that price range boat. They made a youtube video with about 5-7 minutes of running around some bay or bayou with the camera focused on the boat and engines complete with sound. You could see the cooling streams were strong and both engines hummed along perfectly. The boat was stable and took turns gracefully. 3 people were in the boat and you could see she didn't mind the load at all. I looked around and don't see the boat anymore; I'm sure she sold pretty quickly.

So there you go. Beating the competition isn't too hard but it does take a little effort and planning.

CWOT

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Well there are couple things going on if you had not noticed ;-). We are still in a recession and the uncertainty of the economy looms out there.
I just went to the car show, crowded and if buying a new car or truck is any evidence of how the market is doing, than I would say we are in a recovery. I saw 2 guys on their phones making deals on vehicles on the floor, one was a F350 diesel with all the toys. Buyers were everywhere and it was a Tuesday not a weekend. I was talking to my local BMW dealer; he told me he just had his best January in the last 4 years. He has 16 salesmen and they all made their quotas.
My advise would be more pictures, a video sounds great, the suggestion of an Angler's listing sounds good, try harder, good luck.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I spent 6 months and a small fortune on newspapers trying to sell my last Grady. Also used all the on line sales sites and got very few responses.
I finally gave up in the middle of the summer and parked the boat next to a busy street with a for sale sign on it. I got about 10 calls the first weekend and wound up selling it to the third caller. Clean it up good, take out everything removable and put a trailer lock and for sale sign and park it on a busy highway.

billyttpd

Reaction score
...a 1993 Gulfstream for 18300??? tell me more

christo15

Reaction score
Yes! The boat is under my username and you'll find the for sale post. Thanks!