WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCES WITH SAILFISH, DOLPHIN, ETC

drseth

Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone let me know the differences between the Sailfish and the Dolphon, Trophy Pro, Wahoo, and Kingfisher? Also, I see some Sailfish advertised as having a Sportbridge. What is the distinction?

Finally, I see boats that are sterndrives, Outboards mounted to the transom, and Outboards on a bracket. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Seth Anderson
Moon, VA

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To add to Brian.

The "Sportbridge" suffix came about when Grady put the lower bunk where it is still today, from where it was, on the Sailfish.
Hence raising the bridge higher to accomplish it. There was a few other changes too accordingly.

It started in 1990, they dropped the sportbridge suffix later, but design remained same.

The former bunk style was longitudinal along the hull on one side, ask the pre 1990 Sailfish guys.

The V berth has always been where the V is.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I have a Trophy Pro the main difference between it and the Sailfish is the cabin. The sail has 2 bunks and a small head/shower and a alcohol burner i think. The Trophy has more rod and tackle storage and 1 bunk chemical pottie and no kitchen it a pure fishing machine.

flipper25

Reaction score
The Dolphin and the Sailfish have the same hulls but the dolphin is more of a hardcore fishing machine. I have a dolphin, my friend has a sailfish and both are great but I like the dolphin better, I am not a cruser I like to do a lot of offshore fishing and feel like I have more cockpit space and there is a fresh water sink behind the helm station and it comes in very handy.
just my 2 cents

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the <90's but starting in '90 the Dolphin doesn't have the aft berth but 40 more gallons fuel capacity. Because you don't need the extra height for the aft berth, the helm is also a little lower (1 step).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe also, "the Trophy Pro" and "Dolphin" are the same Sailfish variations, just different names for different periods or production.

Yes the Sailfish has the one extra step.

busterblue

Reaction score
252 Sailfish guy here

The "G' is the O/B bracket model. Moves the O'B's outside of the boat therefore you get a bit more cockpit room and a fully closed transom with a fishbox that runs 23/4 of the beam and a baitbox that fills the other 1/4.

I prefer the full transom especially in a following sea or when power drifitng stern to the sea.