What's up with my gelcoat damaging so easily? Can I use the boat?

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I bought a used 2011 Grady 275 this week. Not my first boat, but it is my biggest and it is my first Grady.

I launched it a couple days ago, for the first time, and pulled it today to adjust the trailer fitment. I thought that was going to be a temporary pull but upon doing so I saw some dime-sized impact marks along one of the strakes where the gelcoat had chipped away and left exposed resin.

The only thing I can think of that would have caused those impact marks is that a mild boat wake caused the boat to bounce on the trailer when we were launching it. I can't believe the gelcoat on this boat is fragile enough to chip off like this from a little bump on the trailer while launching.

Is fragile gelcoat symptomatic of something? I've never had a problem like this with another boat.

Can I leave the boat in the water for a week with exposed resin like the photos below or should it stay on the trailer until I can patch it with West System Six10?

IMG_20200725_185856~2.jpg
IMG_20200725_185859~3.jpg

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was the boat inspected before purchase ? That looks bad in the image. Never heard of soft gel coat problems.

Reactions: Zebulon

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Yes, it was professionally surveyed. The surveyor found low moisture levels and solid percussion testing results.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Not normal at all unless you hit something, like the trailer or other hard object. Was the boat living in the water permanently before you bought her?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah,

I think the damage was caused from trailer or a hard item like wrxhoon suggested. Gel coat doesn't chip off like that under normal operation.

Possible that damage was there when you bought it undetected?

I will say this, my '87 Grady's gel coat is still in remarkable shape for the hull age. If you had blisters that's another story, but I believe your gelcoat is fine and the hull got some dings. The good news is easy to fix with some Marine-Tex and gel coat touch up.

I am sorry, new boat to you and this. I hope you get many good years from your Grady, it's a solid boat.

PS-Just grind/san down the damaged area, apply a layer of Marine-Tex and you can use it until you have time to gel coat. Not a major issue to delay you from enjoying your new purchase :)

seasick

Reaction score
You didn't see those spots when you inspected the boat but did after running a while and launching.
You hit something. Either something in the water or maybe some piece of the trailer when you hauled. Regardless, it needs to be looked at and repaired correctly. I see stress cracks around the rearmost spot indicating a decent impact.
I suppose it is possible that it was caused by the trailer. Is the bunk resting under the strake?? If so, the bunk is in the wrong place and may have placed excessive load on a relatively weak piece. Bunks should be about 45 inches apart and not resting on strakes or thrus, pickups, trim tabs, etc

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the previous owner used a dry-stack marina that could well be forklift damage. It makes me cringe sometimes watching careless operators picking up boats off a high rack.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
maybe its the picture, but when I zoom in it looks like a previously repaired area.
There would have to have been some substantial contact with metal for that to happen. Unfortunately the corner edge is more susceptible to damage to lets say a flat area like the sides

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If the previous owner used a dry-stack marina that could well be forklift damage. It makes me cringe sometimes watching careless operators picking up boats off a high rack.

Kinda why I always hated the high and dri option.
You never know what kind of operator took your boat down while you were on you way to the marina

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It looks like air voids. This is more common than many think and can happen with any boat manufacturer. Often times, it's just a matter of time until the right scenario happens and the gelcoat pops off. For example, #1 appears to be caused (of "opened up) by a roller from a roller trailer.

They also don't appear to be brand new.

Grind and sand until you get to fresh, clean glass where there is good adhesion to the gelcoat. Coat with epoxy to seal it. You can stop there or continue to fill the area with thickened epoxy and even finish with gelcoat after building the area up sufficiently so the gelcoat isn't too thick.

Looks like those bunks need adjusting and maybe a new angle cut on them to better match the hull.

Reactions: ilmmct

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had a couple of Gradys (and other boats) stored at high dries for over 30 years. I see that kind of damage very frequently. While it could be from any kind of impact, a sloppy forklift driver is a likely cause. The rugs on the lifts get worn out and if they don't run the forks straight under the boat when lifting out of the water or off the rack you see that kind of damage on the strakes.

It's easy to repair as others have stated. I would have the marina repair damage as large as you have (I've had worse). Smaller stuff I just repair myself when the boat is on the trailer for maintenance.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Not normal at all unless you hit something, like the trailer or other hard object. Was the boat living in the water permanently before you bought her?

The boat bounced on the trailer on launch due to a mild to moderate wake, but nothing that made me (a boater with 10 years of experience) think I was going to find this when I pulled it.

The boat was dry stacked by the original owner.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
You didn't see those spots when you inspected the boat but did after running a while and launching.

I definitely would have seen those spots pre purchase - I went over the boat with a fine tooth comb and hired a surveyor.

I see stress cracks around the rearmost spot indicating a decent impact.

I agree they must have been caused by bumping something. I didn't hit anything with the force I would expect to cause a ding though. Here are some close ups of the three spots, taken just now, the morning after (click to enlarge):

1: IMG_20200726_090332.jpg
2: IMG_20200726_090356.jpg
3: IMG_20200726_090407.jpg

I suppose it is possible that it was caused by the trailer. Is the bunk resting under the strake?? If so, the bunk is in the wrong place and may have placed excessive load on a relatively weak piece. Bunks should be about 45 inches apart and not resting on strakes or thrus, pickups, trim tabs, etc.

The trailer does need adjustment - I pulled it to check the fit after raising the bunks and take measurements for how to move or cut the bunks to accommodate the trim tabs. Right now the bunks are sitting at 23-27" off center; Grady says the stringers are at 10.5" and 22.5" off center. That's structurally close enough but they are hitting the trim tabs (which have a protruding lip) so moving them in 3" should help to clear the tabs.

yl2m5q7.jpg

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
It was on a trailer - this trailer.

I am going to patch it with Marine Tex today.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
That damage in the second picture is pretty deep and I advise against Marinetex. In the first photo there is a abrasion mark (darker smudge) to the right of the hole. Something wacked that hull and pretty hard.
You probably spent a decent amount on the boat so spend what is necessary to get ot professionally repaired and soon. That exposed glass fibers will soak up water quickly. Repairs will not be cheap so get a quote and if you hopefully have comprehensive insurance, the company may pay for so,e of the repair under the collision clause.
You didn't see it before launch but did after haul. It seems to be collision with a submerged object.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
That damage in the second picture is pretty deep and I advise against Marinetex. In the first photo there is a abrasion mark (darker smudge) to the right of the hole. Something wacked that hull and pretty hard.

The dark marks were there when I bought it - those are marks from the forklift (it was drystacked and used regularly for 9 years).

The damage is all 1/16"-1/8" deep, dime to quarter size at most. Camera may make it look bigger and deeper.

I definitely did not hit anything substantial in the last two days. The only unnatural bump the boat had since I bought it was some light taps against the trailer bunks while I was floating it off.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think regardless whether you felt a hit or not this needs addressing. I woould not use the boat until then.. good luck adn let us know how it goes

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I think regardless whether you felt a hit or not this needs addressing. I woould not use the boat until then.. good luck adn let us know how it goes
100% agreed... I already patched with Marine-Tex and will keep it out of the water until cured.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What happens is that the forklift operator positions the lift arms under the strakes and then forcefully lifts the boat off the rack or out of the water. The half-on half-off position puts force on the gel coat just above the strake. As I said, I've seen this many times.