Wheels locked on trailer

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I go through this every year. I store the trailer through the summer only to find the wheels all locked up on the disc brakes. I take the time to flush the wheels and brakes thoroughly. What am I missing? Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
What is it doing? Pads rusting to the discs?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On many trailers, if you back the trailer into a parking space and unhook it, you are essentially putting on the parking brake. Always pull forward a foot or so, to release pressure on the master cylinder, and on the brake pads. Even better, put a chock in front of the wheel before pulling forward.

Reactions: PointedRose

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On many trailers, if you back the trailer into a parking space and unhook it, you are essentially putting on the parking brake. Always pull forward a foot or so, to release pressure on the master cylinder, and on the brake pads. Even better, put a chock in front of the wheel before pulling forward.
As glacierbaze said it could be the brake actuator is pushed in and didn't release. The actuator is two sliding pieces that use the weight (surge) of the trailer pushing against the truck. When you pull forward it should slide out (about 3/4") and take the pressure off the disk brakes. Sometimes the trailer gets backed up without the wiring connected which has a backup solenoid to release the pressure and jambs the slide mechanism. If it is stuck try pulling forward hard.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good points above.

This isn't your fault, of course, but one of the worst things for a trailer is when it just sits. Things corrode in place (especially in a salt environment). Trailers need to be driven to keep things moving/operating. I've seen this more times than I can count. Personally, since my trailer only goes a few miles on back country roads each year... I removed the brakes so I wouldn't be fighting this problem every year.

Since this has been happening again and again, it might be time to take things apart and inspect - then either clean REAL well or replace (possibly with better materials). You may need to do some regular maintenance on them to keep them operating (more maintenance than one who uses their trailer would, anyways).

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We store trailers on jack stands so the tires are about an inch off the ground. I kick the tires to rotate them at times just to break them free. We also place covers on the tires so just the bottom is exposed. This protects the rotors. This is when the boat(s) are not on the trailer.

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When you hook up to it for the first time after sitting for a while, bump it in to reverse pretty good before moving forward. This should free up the brakes if they are surge brakes.

Thank you

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great advice on the above.....I always chock, then pull forward to release the pressure. You can feel when it pulls forward a few inches, then the brakes are free. Rinse well behind and through the wheels if possible to get all the salt out if using in saltwater. .
Also, as I have found over time.....get high quality brakes like the Kodiak's. I have not had any issues so far with them whereas I had nightmares with other brands including locking while driving and blowing out tires. That was even with diligent maintenance!
I always remove the wheels in off season and inspect and spray some lube to protect the metals where possible, even a very light coat of WD40 on the rotors, but I rinse them off before use. No issues and have excellent brakes. I use the brake cleaner spray to remove the oil!
The stainless steel rotors and calipers have been awesome! But, the calipers can freeze, so is good to do maintenance on them every couple of seasons, removing the calipers, lubing the pins, etc and replace the pads if needed. I am due this season to do this on my new trailer brakes that are kodiak.
My former trailer had Tie Downs and they would not make it through a single season even after new!