When do I stop pouring?

snodart

Reaction score
I am redoing/restoring my seventh boat. Five have been powered by Yamahas. They have all had the auto oil injection systems and I never had any problems with them.

The boat I am working on now is a '91 Grady White Dolphin 25 with 2 Yamaha 200s. This is the first boat with hull mounted oil fills. The remote tanks on the other boats were filled at the tanks themselves. These tanks have 1 1/2" hoses attached to the fill ports and then up to fills on the gunwale. The tanks are almost impossible to access. My question is this. When filling the tanks with oil, when do you stop? Don't the tanks have a full mark?

Thanks for any comment.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I just stop when they get close to the top. I usually have someone else look into the rear hatch and watch them so I don't overfill them. Had that happen once and while it was no big deal, it was a mess to clean up. They hold a lot of oil, so I just try to make sure that they stay above about half and don't worry about it. I am not running offshore though, but if I was I would just keep some extra in the boat.

Hope that helps.

snodart

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have redone several boats and this one is the most fun. Well built boats. I have replaced all thru-hull fittings, scuppers, splashwell drains, and hoses. I also replaced the fuel fill and vent hoses. replaced all deck plates and added some new ones. The new ones were necessary to access some of the thru-hull nuts and hoses.

Sorry about rambling. Thank you.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My tanks hold about 3 gallons. I buy oil by the gallon and only add a gallon when the oil is down by more than a gallon. Thus I am not trying to fill it right to the top and never have any partially full oil bottles to store on the boat.

-Scott

freddy063

Reaction score
if it's like my boat , the oil tanks are worked on from removing the live well tank build in the back, pop that out, jump in the hole and work on the oil tanks. My tanks are about 1 1/2 gallons.

snodart

Reaction score
Freddy063,

Not sure, but it appears that your boat is newer than mine. I have a 1991. The tanks are under the aft cockpit floor panel with the aft bilge pump. The floor panel has 26 screws holding it in place and the panel is caulked. There is a 6" pop-out deck plate in the center of the panel. Trough this hole you can see the tanks if you look off to either side, but touching and seeing them at the same time is impossible. One member of the Yamaha Outboards Forum suggested moving them up on deck in a box. Sounds good for access but I want the space. I have contacted G.W. Technical Support and they are checking for company recommended modification releases and owner modification input. Our last conversation was late Friday, may hear back Monday.