when stuff goes wrong

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
was fishing on a reef out of barnegat when i hear boat taking on water near me could see vessel is strugeling so go to see if we could help.didnt know what if anything i could do just stayed close till coast guard arrived.a charter boat also gave assistance but no one else which worries me what would you do

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What was the outcome of the vessel taking on water?
As far as what can we do? Well just being there to relay info to CG, if needed, could go be helpful, if persons on the vessel in distress are busy trying to save her. If it got to the point of them abandoning the vessel, then of course we would get them on-board our boat and advise CG of same. Marking position could be helpful, if she goes down.

Just do what you can without putting yourself or others in harms way.

Reactions: Meanwhile

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
the coasties did get there before she went down but was along time i did just stay in area to do what i could which was nothing.was surprised not more boats would try to help

seasick

Reaction score
the coasties did get there before she went down but was along time i did just stay in area to do what i could which was nothing.was surprised not more boats would try to help
Boaters are supposed to monitor channel 16. Often they only monitor the local chat channel. Most don't use or know how to select dual channel scan.
Morally and to an extent legally you are required to render assistance of course without putting yourself in danger. What you did was exactly correct. If you monitor the radio you may hear the authorities ask some questions about number of passengers, adults and children, whether they are wearing or have vests and the nature of the distress. If possible and you can approach without putting you or the other vessel in danger, you can do so just to let the vessel know you are there to help. Have your PFDs handy in case passengers on the vessel in distress decide to abandons ship. I have seen that happen purely due to panic.
On the other extreme, if the distress situation was not life threatening and you could approach nearer without risk to either vessel, do so slowly and ask from a distance if everyone is OK. Decide from there if you can offer assistance or perhaps just stand by.

Now for my pet peeve comment not directly related to the posted situation. I monitor my local chat channel and 16. When I hear a radio check request, I don't often know what channel it was sent on. Yes, you are not supposed to ask for a radio check on 16 but people do that often. When I request a radio check, I state the channel I am transmitting on. For example, May I get a radio check on channel 68?
I will not respond to a request if I am not sure what channel it was sent on.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would stay in the area and take the passengers aboard if necessary.

We took on water on a buddies boat 60 miles offshore last yr...NOT fun. 41' with trips, very well regarded semi custom built. We were in heavy seas and the boat became more and more sluggish even though it had 1050hp. I brought another buddy of mine along who has been offshore with me some. The owner/capt opened the aft floor hatched and I was shocked for a second to see water 3'deep up to the bottom of the floor. My shock went away when a full 5 gallon bucket hit me in the chest. My buddy had immediately grabbed a bucket, filled it, and shoved it my way. 3 bilge pumps were not working. After cutting them off and letting them rest a few mins while we were bailing, when turned back on, 2 of the pumps would work a little.

I removed a rear speaker and determined spray that was hitting the cap/eurotransom joint was getting in 1/2 gallon per wave. I guess at least one of the 3 pumps was working sporadically after they cooled down from being overworked on the ride out. On the ride in we tabbed over to limit the amount of spray hitting that leaky cap joint. That joint got sealed with new 5200, all new pumps and float switches, and doesn't leak anymore.

If you go offshore enough, eventually you'll have a scare. If you've had one you WILL help others in need when the time comes.

My old boat has 2 VHFs and I keep one on 16. It also has 3 bilge pumps. My 282 I'll take possession of in a few weeks only has one VHF and 2 pumps but only one aft. The 1st thing I'll do is add another radio/antenna and at least one more rear pump.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Great thread. Always need a backup plan for the backup plan for the backup plan.

I picked up a couple sets of these below to keep handy on board: for the event of a through hull or scupper failure.

good reminder to test bilge pumps and inspect the boat regularly

Almencla 20pcs Marine Boat Wooden Conical Bungs Plugs Set Emergency Plug Up Hole https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V959F2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_43jfGdJMA4Kks

Reactions: Meanwhile

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
awesome this ended up being a seem failure of some sort older boat still investagating thanks