When to have a Survey

Tuna Talk

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm wondering at what purchase price does it make sense to most folks to have a survey done before you purchase your next Grady. If I were buying a $10K boat, I would not order a survey but I would start to think serious about a survey if I were going to spend $50K. What is the magical threshold?

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If your financing the boat, a bank may require one. If you are unable to view in person or uneducated on what to look for I suggest a survey on a boat costing more money than you would feel comfortable putting in a pile and lighting on fire.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you are inspecting the boat ( you should) and you are happy to buy it then get a Survey unless you know what to look for and you are mechanically minded .

seasick

Reaction score
When asked this question, I ask the buyer how he or she would feel emotionally and or financially if the boat turned out to be a total lemon and not worth a nickle.
It's not the price, it's what will affect you.
So if it is a 10k boat and you can say, "No big deal, it's only 10k" then do what you want.
Think of the survey as you do insurance. Other than the important issue of liability, if your boat was stolen or sunk or burned to the water line, would you say " Oh well it's only $10k" or would you say, "Dang, I wish I had insurance?"

Tuna Talk

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When asked this question, I ask the buyer how he or she would feel emotionally and or financially if the boat turned out to be a total lemon and not worth a nickle.
It's not the price, it's what will affect you.
So if it is a 10k boat and you can say, "No big deal, it's only 10k" then do what you want.
Think of the survey as you do insurance. Other than the important issue of liability, if your boat was stolen or sunk or burned to the water line, would you say " Oh well it's only $10k" or would you say, "Dang, I wish I had insurance?"
Very well stated...thanks

Pighunter

Reaction score
I just spent $425 for a survey and a sea trial for 21 year old 228. Money well spent. Doesn't seem like much to me.

Reactions: igblack87

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also don't let a sales broker recommend his favorite surveyor. Ask me how I know about this! :rolleyes: Cost me some real dough...

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd always get a survey. Not worried about the price now but the cost of repairs later.

seasick

Reaction score
Also don't let a sales broker recommend his favorite surveyor. Ask me how I know about this! :rolleyes: Cost me some real dough...
So true. Same for a motor survey. I also cringe every time a seller says : 'All maintained performed by a certified mechanic'.

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
I agree that surveys should be done in pretty much every case, regardless of the cost of the boat. If the boat has the 2000s vintage Yamaha V6 4s motors, have them inspected/scoped for the exhaust corrosion issue as well. A G model Grady with the full transom and bracket would be a safer gamble than any of the models with traditional transoms or Euro transoms, but the last thing anyone needs is a bad transom on a boat. As a broker myself, I tell my clients that they should select their own surveyor. I can offer the names of several in the area, but will not recommend any one in particular. www.marinesurvey.org is a good website to find SAMS certified surveyors in your area.

Reactions: ScottyCee

naesb81

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I was just under agreement for a 1996 Marlin, repowered in 2016. The boat looked good, the transom was rebuilt with the repower. I assumed the hull was solid as they just dropped $50k +- 3 years ago.

I had a survey done, the core was soaked. I would say get a survey, especially on older boats. If you don't, at least buy a moisture meter and check the hull. You can't typically see or feel the moisture in the hull.