Where 228’s Come From.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Definitely some good looking boats there, especially the 228. Although I might be somewhat biased haha. So, it might be a dumb question but why do your boat numbers have to be so big and able to be seen from miles away?

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Definitely some good looking boats there, especially the 228. Although I might be somewhat biased haha. So, it might be a dumb question but why do your boat numbers have to be so big and able to be seen from miles away?
That’s the law. As to why, maybe the authorities in the US have better eyesight than our guys.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not Shure but I have a 1990 228g with big numbers on the side

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like the 228 owner went to the ivory color enclosure. Looks good.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not Shure but I have a 1990 228g with big numbers on the side
I've seen them in pictures of other boats from other countries as well as a few states in the US that seem to have them. Although, the times that I have seen them are usually on boats for sale back on the east coast, or on commercial boats. I personally live in the Seattle area and have never seen them out here in the Pacific Northwest or on the west coast. Out here, the numbers on the side of your boat only have to be a minimum of 3" tall, but I don't think I've ever seen anything bigger than that for the registration numbers. Per Google, for boats in Australia it says the lettering has to be a minimum of 150mm tall, or roughly 6", and be seen from a distance of 60m.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm upgrading to a Marlin but while it took me a while, I think the 228 looks awesome on the water. If conditions allow it, the 228 is the best boat. And I say that as some idiot that thought center consoles look better. And they do. In warm weather. The 228 going out of my harbor on the Pacific, into the cold, yeah, best small boat ever.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm upgrading to a Marlin but while it took me a while, I think the 228 looks awesome on the water. If conditions allow it, the 228 is the best boat. And I say that as some idiot that thought center consoles look better. And they do. In warm weather. The 228 going out of my harbor on the Pacific, into the cold, yeah, best small boat ever.
Agreed on the 228 being the best small boat, which is one of the many reasons why I bought one and think it will work perfectly for my needs in the Puget Sound. It's interesting how a 22' boat, that from what I've heard has an overall length of around 26', looks quite undersized when sitting next to 30'+ boats.