Where can I find info about fishing spots?

Tom & Sons

Reaction score
I just got a 263 Chase with twin 225 Merc's and I'm looking for places to fish. I usually stayed in Barnegat Bay but with the new boat I'm ready to venture out. I hear places like the mud hole and chicken canyon but can not find any info as to the locations. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nautical charts would be your best bet. I think Capt. Vic's charts with fishing hot spots are pretty good, they can be purchased at most tackle stores. You may also want to condsider reading the a few magazines such as "The Fisherman" (NJ version), "Big Game Journal", one of the many books available (some written by the Fisherman staff) on fishing NJ waters, or the Friday edition of the Asbury Park Press (available online) and The Home New Tribune or something like that (same fishing info as the APP, same parent company).

I try to fish offshore out of Barnegat Inlet about once a week (typically weekends) during the summer and early fall. Other members on this site also fish these areas. Perhaps we can network and help each other out, this could save some fuel and make our precious days on the water more productive. I have done this with others in the past and it certainly has helped me.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, not much online, you really need to look on charts and more importantly make sure they are on your plotter, you need to see the bottom contour out there and know what you are fishing. You can run the cursor to those locations if you have your home port set up and it can tell you how far of a run and all if you set it as a way point. I'm assuming since you are in the barneget you will be coming out of manasquan inlet, that would be your best bet for those 2 runs, they are almost straight out, maybe slightly south. I guess coming from bargenet light would not be too bad either but I always thought it was further. The shark fishing in those areas should turn on soon, probably in the next week or two. They will start further out at the chicken then the glory, and move into the mud hole, the monster ledge is a good spot to target them as waters warm and is not a very far run, you can be there in well under an hour once you leave the inlet. In late june and throughout ju;y there is a decent bluefin tuna bite, mostly schoolies. Smaller fish will come into the mud hole, but the glory and chicken hold larger fish, we had 2 good trips to the glory this season with 40-60lb bluefins. Green 5-6" lures were the ticket. Around this time mahi will move into the area, mostly small but fun on light tackle, they hang close to the lobster pots. To catch them, troll by them with blue/pink or pink/white lures those are the best colors. When I say close, I mean 10ft off the pot, we put 2 lures strictly for mahi in the spread off the far riggers so we can gety those lures close to pots. Another way is to slowly appraoch a pot, maybe 50 ft away and toss cut up squid or tuna chunks and watch them come off the pots, you can usually see the tuna. We usually keep a tunny or other junk tuna to use to cut up, they also make great shark baits!! The chicken canyon in recent years has had a decent bite with bigger bluefins up to 100lbs in mid july, but it really is hit or miss and unless you are out there all the time there is no way to stay ontop of where they are. The bite usually only lasts maybe a week and half before the fish move on to the north.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you by Manasquan or Banegate or one of the lower ones? I go out of Manasquan.

kendcc

Reaction score
I run out of the Manasquan. I keep my boat in Brick in the Metedeconk all the way up by rt 70.

I think the link I posted were bearings from the Manasquan Inlet.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
kendcc said:
I run out of the Manasquan. I keep my boat in Brick in the Metedeconk all the way up by rt 70.

I think the link I posted were bearings from the Manasquan Inlet.

Up by Green Cove?

I'm in Beaver Dam Creek.

kendcc

Reaction score
I'm not sure where Beaver Damn Creek is, but Green Cove is right around the corner.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
kendcc said:
I'm not sure where Beaver Damn Creek is, but Green Cove is right around the corner.

Beaver Damn Creek runs parallel to the Metedekonk, Princeton Ave divides the two.