Where do i find out about radar?

SteveJB

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good morning,

I just bout an '89 Seafarer with Raymarine radar. It has a C120 display and i found the manual for that. Previous owner said it's all working and seems to be but I am not sure of the age of the dome and what other options I have if I wanted to upgrade.

Is there a primer on radar and the different models? Raymarine has a web site but it doesn't explain the different models clear enough for me to know how many newer versions there are so i can pin point mine. I think its about 12 years old.

Thanks Steve

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
YouTube and Google are your friend, start researching your model numbers and see what comes up. YouTube has a bunch of videos that seem to address anything you'd want to see.

seasick

Reaction score
Is you MFD (C120) also 12 years old?
These days, electronics go 'obsolete' pretty quickly.
For the current equipment, you need to get documentation for your dome. The model number should be on it somewhere and it may also be on the 120 is one of the configuration screens. The docs will help you learn what it's specs and features are.
Now view the newer videos on the Raymarine site or the general internet and see what the newer models can do and compare to your features.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good morning,

I just bout an '89 Seafarer with Raymarine radar. It has a C120 display and i found the manual for that. Previous owner said it's all working and seems to be but I am not sure of the age of the dome and what other options I have if I wanted to upgrade.

Is there a primer on radar and the different models? Raymarine has a web site but it doesn't explain the different models clear enough for me to know how many newer versions there are so i can pin point mine. I think its about 12 years old.

Thanks Steve
my radar is 14, it's a similar model from Raymarine. I had my electronics guy look at it while he did my AP install and he said not to touch it, even though he'd have loved to sell me a new unit. According to him you can't kill them, and just because one is new doesn't make it 'better'. It's not the the most user-friendly but i know how it works and that's all that matters. There are some cool new features like 'bird mode' in some of these newer units, but mine will pickup flocks of birds as well, so i just don't see what i'd gain by dropping all that cash. I have a 4 foot open array, not much it doesn't pickup.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Assuming it's probably an analog radar and if so the newer radars are digital and won't be compatible with older displays.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Documentation is online. Go to raymarine.com
learn with what you got to start. Then see if it is worth it to you to get a newer system.
the newer system biggest advantage is overlay on chart. Some others but radar is radar.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Well, looks like it displays on a nice sized chartplotter(MFD). thats a plus.
If you upgrade the MFD you will certainly have to stick with raymarine to continue to use the radar. You have to check Raymarine site for compatibility to newer MFDs.

Having gone thru this with Garmin I will bet that to upgrade the Radar you also need a new MFD. That ups the cost of a new radar.

You will only use the radar if you get fogged in or if you run in the dark.
You might be able to use the C120 as a dedicated radar/sonar display and get new touch screen MFD for charts & Nav.

Last edited:

MA208

Reaction score
I went through this last year with a C120. Analog radar is not compatible with any new system. I was able to get an adapter plate for the C120 to an Axiom 12 so that fit in with no new cutting. And went Raymarine new radar as well. The C120 is a fine unit, but the DSM sounder is what gave me problems.

BobH1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Useful tool for navigation. I just picked up a furuno 1731 mk3 for $200. Old unit but newer than the boat. Just remember..... radar doesn't pick out crab pots. (unless there is a radar reflector attached).

Fishtales

Reaction score
The early DSMs had some solder workmanship issues and Raymarine swapped them out. Not sure this still applies - highly unlikely now. The DSM is for the sounder not radar, so that shouldn't be an issue with the radar.