Where do you put everything?

a1mccray

Reaction score
I have a 05 226 Seafarer and I am going to be using it for a few overnighters this season. When I travel I like to have an extra anchor on board with plenty of rode, enough life vests for passengers, coolers for food, drinks etc. I also have clothes in a duffle bag and a bag for charts etc. I addition I have a pillow and a sleeping bag. I usually carry cleaning supplies, a first aid kit, flairs, fishing tackle, bait and a tool box. It seems like I have way too much stuff. I usually put most of it in the V berth but when I get to my destination the stuff has bounced around and is all over the place. Where do people put all of their gear? I have a porta pottie with a macerator which takes up a lot of space. I like to make a permanent place for my stuff so I don't have to rearrange it each time. Any ideas?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep my extra anchor and rode in the forward most underberth locker. There's not much room left after that but you should be able to fit some supplies in this locker. The port side locker stores my first aid kit, flairs, and some life vests. I also have the porta potty with macerator and am able to fit a few things on the starboard side as well.

The tools I carry go in the lockers beneath the helm seats. I normally just toss in the clothes, pillows, etc since it won't be permanently stowed. Hope this helps.

a1mccray

Reaction score
Yes, that does help. I tend to want to carry everything on board and take everything off when I am finished but I need to stop doing that.
Any other suggestions on sleeping overnight on the boat? Do you have a fan that you use?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have such a short window of opportunity to comfortably stay aboard I don't nearly as much as I would like.

I do have a small oscillating 12v fan that I use. However, I've found that when it's hot & humid a Hilton is much more comfortable! :wink:

a1mccray

Reaction score
I agree about a Hilton. Either I need to lose about 6 inches in height or the 226 is just too short to sleep in. I will be coming down the ditch from Deltaville, Va this summer and wish the Waterway Guides would expand on the Motel/Hotels nearby. The last time I did the ditch I was in my friends 38 ft Sea Ray. Three staterooms, Washer Dryer, ice machine 3 TVs etc. Not quite the same in the 226.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Strikezone said:
We have such a short window of opportunity to comfortably stay aboard I don't nearly as much as I would like.

I do have a small oscillating 12v fan that I use. However, I've found that when it's hot & humid a Hilton is much more comfortable! :wink:

I did ICW from the lake to Charleston and stayed at Shem Creek then on down to Beaufort and stayed at the Best Western right off the downtown marina. Did this trip in August and the No Wake Zones were very warm with no breeze blowing and idleing through,,,all in all, it was a good trip but if I do it again it will be Spring or Fall :)

Myself,wife,daughter had all or gear in duffles just tossed up into the nose of the cuddy,,extra stuff was under the cushions in the holes, cooler on the bow, lawn chairs in the cockpit, snacks and such on the side cushion behind the helm.

striped bass

Reaction score
a1mccray:
That is a lot of gear to stow on a 226 especially for an extended trip. I agree, leave the cleaning materials at the dock. I would gently suggest that three people on an extended trip in a 226 might be too tight. Ever thought of upgrading to a larger Grady? You might be a lot happier.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've done the ICW trip through Beaufort to Hilton Head in August as well. Stayed at B&B in Beaufort that loaned us a car to carry our bags from marina to the inn which was about a mile away. Couldn't have been nicer.

We berthed in Hilton Head at Shelter Cove and they have shuttle buses running into Palmetto Dunes on a regular basis. We stayed at one of the beachfront hotels there and didn't attempt to camp out on the boat.

There were a number of no wake zone where the air seemed to be fed from the depths of hell but that's all the reason just to enjoy another cold beverage. :wink: The scenery is so pristine and beautiful I think I just got the inspiration for a weekend trip soon. :D

bc282

Reaction score
Go right now and buy a bigger Grady to stash all that stuff :p

Actually, your situation sounded a lot like mine a couple years ago when i had a 22' WA. Now with the 282, i keep everything in the boat including fishing gear and fishing clothing. i know that doesn't help you.

a1mccray

Reaction score
bc282 I went to the Grady dealership and they said they had sold out of everything. Not one Grady on the lot. They wouldn't be able to get anymore in until the 2010 model year comes out. :)
I have thought of a bigger Grady but until the bank account gets bigger I am stuck with a 226. Actually I just got this a year ago and have been very happy with it although it rides very differently than my old Wellcraft. I still can't seem to feel comfortable about driving it yet. I don't know if it is the deeper V that allow it to roll more or the outboard motor that I am not used to. (the Wellcraft was an I/O. I guess I just need more time on it. Just like my wife --- just need more time on ... oh forget it.)

a1mccray

Reaction score
Ok to all:
I know there is a marina guide. Is there a lodging guide for the ICW?

On another topic...I am thinking of stopping at Bald Head island for a day at the beach with my kids. How would I do this? I know of one marina there. Is there a cheap way to keep my boat there and get to the beach for the day?
I went to Bald Head a few years ago and know about the no car rule. Are there golf carts you can rent/use to get to the beach for the day?

a1mccray

Reaction score
Stikezone-- I like your picture...boat. My boat has a soft top and no bow pulpit. If you were to add one of the two things( hard top or bow bulpit) which would you add and why?

3rd Day

Reaction score
Great picture Strikezone. The trip to Georgetown is also great and the Hampton Inn on the water is an excellent place to stay. Everything is within walking distance from the marina.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Stikezone-- I like your picture...boat. My boat has a soft top and no bow pulpit. If you were to add one of the two things( hard top or bow bulpit) which would you add and why?

Based on my usage I would opt for a hard top over a bow pulpit. With the hard top you can have an electronics box, place to mount antennas, and rod holders. You can also keep it buttoned up pretty tight in the winter and still go out.

However, if I had to choose I woudl have both.