Where to find a chain for the gas cap

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have looked many place for a chain. Does anybody have-a website to order this from?B5510D3E-88B1-465C-BD77-6B032620D34D.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is it a Perko cap? Actually, whether it's Perko or not (probably is, though) doesn't matter. But check with Perko to see if they offer that by itself or as a kit with the cap. Given your location, I would imagine that you can probably source this locally by calling or stopping by a local marine store, too.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was thinking about redoing mine with mono and a large swivel. They dont spin freely the way they used to as they age.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Will gas fumes affect the nylon?
Not sure but I would keep an eye on it. Maybe even braid....The chain would always bind up while tightening and i was always afraid of it breaking and the beads ending up in the tank. One of my chains did break but was lucky enough it broke at the cap..

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not sure but I would keep an eye on it. Maybe even braid....The chain would always bind up while tightening and i was always afraid of it breaking and the beads ending up in the tank. One of my chains did break but was lucky enough it broke at the cap..
Just curious, how can you tell it's binding up since you can't see it? But, you can counter that by turning the cap backwards a turn or two, first. But, you do know that it's not like a pearl necklace where the beads are strung on a string, right? All of the beads are connected to each other - the chain just breaks in half. If it did end up in the tank, it wouldn't cause any issues - they'll just stay down there forever.

seasick

Reaction score
I could feel the resistance while hand tightening the cap
First thing to do is check the eye on the cap end. It should be able to rotate easily on the screw. Turning the cap backwards a few turns before screwing it in as mentioned will help.
The the eye and chain are not binding when the cap is off, I suggest you unscrew the chain from the cap and them screw the cap on. If it still binds, it isn't the chain.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good find on the chain alone!
Don't forget to replace the O-ring under the cap as well when you do the chain.